Te Puia or Hells Gate

yes first time, not 100% sure I can afford to do both nor have the time to do both..

I don't think you would have time to do both. We had been to Te Puia on a few separate trips, then on our last visit we went to Hells Gate to see something different. I feel that if someone has been to Te Puia on one visit, then it is worth going to Hells Gate on a second trip.:)

On our last NZ trip I also had a similar choice to make & we went with Te Pui. It was amazing! We also hired a rental car from Rite Price and the gave us a 10% off coupon for Te Puia when we picked up the car so that cemented our choice lol. I still have Hells Gate down for a 2nd visit option as I would like to see that too.

Thanks for that. I found if you book online its already cheaper. Think we are going to go with rentadent mostly as they seem to be the cheapest and pick up from the port. Car seats are only $5 with them instead of $30 through other companies.

Hi All,

We are trying to decide which of these will be better? If you were to only go to one which would you go too?

Thanks!

Kia ora,

As Aus Traveller says, they are different. Hells Gate is solely a geo-thermal area (very active) on the way from the Port. Te Puia, like adjacent Whakarewarewa is in an active geo-thermal area and and both provide Maori culture shows. Te Puia is one of the most visited. At Whaka (as we call it), you can see where and how the tangata whenua live in the area (maybe even cooking in the hot pools or eating some delicious hangi cooked food?). There are a number of other geo-thermal areas in the district so in making your decision RotoruaNZ.com may help.

Aquarians

Te Puia will give you a taste and insight into thermal activity in the area, but Hells gate will give you no input into Maori culture. With little time a bit of everything is better than a lot of nothing.

Back in the day before everyone got greedy Te Puia was part of the Whakarewarewa village and tour and one could visit both areas. At Whaka the kids used to jump off the bridge for a penny, if they still do it today it will be at least a Gold Coin. The division of the two areas is a shame and a pity they cant be brought back into one park.