Is Istanbul Safe?

RJB

If the ports are your main reason for doing the cruise & it looks like the ports may be cancelled due to the unrest or safety in the the Country

If you would be unhappy with a change in itinerary then

I would cancel the cruise before the penalties kick in because you will be unhappy if they change the ports to something you did not sign up for

JMO

of course YMMV

It has been said before but perhaps worth repeating

If you want to be sure to visit any place in particular don't book a cruise. You will always be at the mercy of the cruise line. Ports are cancelled often and not just for terrorism fears. A land trip is the way to go

Based on past history and reports, it is extremely likely that if a decision to change ports is made, it will not be made until after final payment.

For reference, look at all the port time changes made recently and all reports of those reductions in port times were not made until after final payment. Would expect port changes to follow the identical pattern.

Couldn't agree more. No changes will be made until it's too late for people to back out without a penalty. Bombs going off only make it more convenient for O to make those changes.

Most cruise lines only change after final payment. If something is on your bucket list, and it includes areas that have potential for serious problems, don't book a cruise and expect to see those places. My two cousins dreamed of seeing Israel, and booked a cruise there this past October. The cruise line changed their itinerary, and removed Israel, on the day before embarkation, despite the fact that problems had been occurring in Israel for weeks before.

What's worrying me, in addition to Istanbul, was the attack in Indonesia, a country that's 99% Muslim. If Isis is going to kill their own, one has to pause and take many things into consideration.

But I would make other arrangements. There is a very high possibility that changes will be made after it is too late. O reduced a lot of cruises...take them and wait for things to be better...my opinion only. Those other ports are really not worth the effort. Crystal just pulled out of Turkey, both ports. They did it in time, I think...one was April and another June and then some on their new Espirit. This is the time to change. Celebrity stopped going there right around when we were going to leave. I had decided to go to Istanbul first and then find a way to the Embarkation port if necessary (It was on Crystal) but luckily Crystal didn't pull out at that time. This is another time and day. The President of Turkey is actively bombing ISIS. This is in retaliation to what they did near the Blue Mosque. I am sure there will be some retaliation on ISIS part. This is another part of the world, unlike where we all live.

Most cruise lines only change after final payment. If something is on your bucket list, and it includes areas that have potential for serious problems, don't book a cruise and expect to see those places. My two cousins dreamed of seeing Israel, and booked a cruise there this past October. The cruise line changed their itinerary, and removed Israel, on the day before embarkation, despite the fact that problems had been occurring in Israel for weeks before.

What's worrying me, in addition to Istanbul, was the attack in Indonesia, a country that's 99% Muslim. If Isis is going to kill their own, one has to pause and take many things into consideration.

No way we will go to these places now. The risk factor is huge. Rather stay home than take my chances with these crazy terrorists. If they are willing to kill themselves why would they care about me. :(:(:(

Couldn't agree more. No changes will be made until it's too late for people to back out without a penalty. Bombs going off only make it more convenient for O to make those changes.

Actually we had a cruise to a "problem area" which the cruise line did the exact opposite. It was a NCL Holy Lands cruise to Israel and Egypt during Arab Spring. Cancellations were fast in furious, so the cruises that had not reached final payment were changed to a western Med.

Our cruise's final payment was around the time problems were becoming weekly, so there was not enough time for people to react ( or over- react depending on your world view). Our itinerary remained the same and we were the last cruise with the original itinerary.

It is all of Turkey. We just received notification that our stop in Kusadasi was canceled and replaced by Mykonos.

Oceania Cruises’ primary concern is to ensure the safety and security of our guests and crew. We have been carefully monitoring the ongoing situation in Turkey and in an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to suspend calls in 2016 to Turkey. As a result, we have added a new call to Mykonos.

We are deeply committed to offering an unforgettable vacation during which guests can experience the history, culture, art and cuisine of many wondrous new destinations. We believe the changes to the itinerary will greatly enhance our guests’ experiences ashore.

Edited by hawky

Thanks!!! I have been to Mykonos but my traveling companion has not. I've also been to Kusadasi. I much prefer Mykonos. So excited to be going back.

Hmmm, really? I've been to both several times and much prefer Kusadasi. Not much in Mykonos of interest unless you go over to Delos. (Not a beach person or a shopper.....)

Hmmm, really? I've been to both several times and much prefer Kusadasi. Not much in Mykonos of interest unless you go over to Delos. (Not a beach person or a shopper.....)

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla! ;)

jeanne

It is all of Turkey. We just received notification that our stop in Kusadasi was canceled and replaced by Mykonos.

Oceania Cruises’ primary concern is to ensure the safety and security of our guests and crew. We have been carefully monitoring the ongoing situation in Turkey and in an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to suspend calls in 2016 to Turkey. As a result, we have added a new call to Mykonos.

We are deeply committed to offering an unforgettable vacation during which guests can experience the history, culture, art and cuisine of many wondrous new destinations. We believe the changes to the itinerary will greatly enhance our guests’ experiences ashore.

han sorry.

I guess this answers my question from the start of this thread. Istanbul NOT SAFE. NCL has done the cautious thing to try to keep their people out of harms way. Need to be very careful in these troubling times. Better safe than sorry. Good job by NCL !!!