Flying with Glass Bottles

travelnteach64

This item - http://www.winevine-imports.com/8-bottle-pro-wine-suitcase-with-wheels/ - is ridiculously overpriced but you could rig up something like it with a heavy duty box and some foam or else some other kind of container and foam.

DON

Obviously not carry-on; and since OP is probably simply interested in saving a few dollars by bringing wine on board, the luggage fee would most likely be a deal breaker.

From my post on another thread about wine/liquor in checked bags:

On behalf of your fellow travelers, please do not put your breakable bottles in your checked bag if wrapped in your clothes, even if in bubble wrap. Many posters here will tell you they do this all the time and they should be grateful that they have not had a bad experience. But it only takes one bad flight to have wide negative repercussions for many people.

I had my cruise ruined by someone who put wine in his checked bags. Clearly their "rarely" breakable bottles, defied convention and decided to break or their corks popped, or whatever, but my suitcases came into the baggage carousel soaked in wine and alcohol. There were also many other bags that were soaked in alcohol.

The airlines found the offending traveler and opened their suitcase in the baggage claim area and lo and behold, there was the broken wine bottle which had pierced the protective wraps.

Fortunately I had flown in several days prior to the cruise, but instead of relaxing, I and my DH ran around town trying to get all new clothes. Nothing was salvageable. I then had to deal with the airlines and my insurance company about who was going to pay me. I really wanted payment to come from the inconsiderate louse who just had to take his own particular wine with him rather than go several days without his wino fix.

And as others have said, good wine doesn't travel well in checked bags (too shaken up) and almost all liquors and other alcoholic beverages are available at home.

There are smaller box wines available in 500 ml sizes. There may be some 750 ml ones as well. I think they'd travel better than wine in glass bottles.

Just a FYI ..... not all cruise lines permit boxed wine to be brought aboard.

HAL does not allow it. I don't know about other cruise lines but it is worth checking.

Hard-sided plastic pet carrier, the kind that could fit under an airline seat. Wrap the wine bottle in several newspaper sleeves and then a ziploc, wrap the ziploc in clothing, and put it in the pet carrier, which you then put in your suitcase or duffel.

The first ban on carry-on liquids was in 2006 not 2002 but is it really so unbelievable that someone hasn't flown in 14 (or 10) years?

Guess not... and admittedly I missed where Bonnie says that she doesn't really fly very much :)