Ordering food in the MDR for a picky eater

flatlander321

We're new to cruising and will be on the Legend in May this year. It's an 8 day cruise. We selected your time dining since excursion timing varies each day.

When ordering, can you request any changes? Some of the main items sound good, but list side items or garnishes that are not appealing.

As an example, I saw a menu with fish-n-chips, coleslaw, and another item. Must it come with the coleslaw?

Another example is the simple baked potato as a side. Do you choose the toppings for the potato?

Eating out for us is normally somewhere like Applebees or a Texas Roadhouse.

We're new to cruising and will be on the Legend in May this year. It's an 8 day cruise. We selected your time dining since excursion timing varies each day.

When ordering, can you request any changes? Some of the main items sound good, but list side items or garnishes that are not appealing.

As an example, I saw a menu with fish-n-chips, coleslaw, and another item. Must it come with the coleslaw?

Another example is the simple baked potato as a side. Do you choose the toppings for the potato?

Feel free to order what you want. You can eliminate anything you want and add anything you want. You can order more than one entrée if you want. Very flexible. I am a very picky eater so I know exactly what you are talking about. Have a great cruise.

Don't forget that you can order items off the kid's menu. I know plenty of people that claim to be picky eaters that are fans of things like chicken fingers, fries, Mac & cheese that always appear on the kids menu. Plus, the everyday menu includes "plain" items like grilled chicken or flat iron steak that picky eaters may find appealing,

I'm a picky eater also ... I usually order my entrees without sauce, and often substitute a baked potato or fries for a side. Though it usually comes in addition to what's listed on the dish, instead of replacing it (I just don't eat what I don't like!). And yes you can specify the toppings for a potato.

They definitely are used to special orders and it's never been an issue for me.

[quote=flatlander321;48776725

You'll be fine on Carnival. They'll make any sides changes like you're use to where you normally eat out.

Have a great cruise! :)

The dinners are pre-plated banquet style and will be served as such however you may ask for a side dish of something and it will be served to you in addition to the pre-plated meal. The ships aren't set up for you to mix and match things from all over the menu to create a plate to your specifications but as others have said you may order more than one entree so when the multiple plates are served to you just eat what you want. If your concerns are more than preferences and are allergy caused you are best to contact the special needs department at Carnival and they will email you the pertinent information to make your cruise dining an enjoyable experience.

Along with the potato they bring a plate with sour cream, cheese, and bacon for you to pick what you'd like.

Thanks for the info. I think we'll have a good time and eat well.

One family member loves chocolate. I haven't told them about the melting cake yet.

OMG!! Boy are they gonna be in for a treat!! Have a great cruise...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You can order what you like and how you like it.

You can have apps without the main dish if you prefer.

You can skip apps and have 2 main dishes.

The idea is that you can have what you want in which ever way you prefer . Just tell the wait staff clearly what it is you need.

We just got off the Conquest and my husband is a very picky eater -- basic meat and potatoes guy with few veggies and nothing that may contain any hint of fresh onions in it . He found the options were a bit limited in the MDR but had no trouble ordering. He asked the server about sauces and some of them, they could leave off some they could not. The baked potato is the easiest because they bring the toppings separately and you can always order any additional entrees or items that you like. They can and will leave off side items such broccoli etc off the plate if you don't like them. I don't think you'll have any trouble.