Travel insurance for Tassie cruise??

I just did Tasmania cruise. I took out Covermore Domestic cruise medical coverage only.

I also took out no excess. It was 7 day policy and I think it was less than $60.

Also on my 4 day cruise to Eden there was an older couple who didn't take out insurance because the cost was $500 that what they said. Seemed high to me, but (she had some medical priors). Well she got sick and ended up in the hospital part of the ship. Bang $2k per night. Expensive lesson.

Yep we have a few pre existing conditions, and I think a tad older than you, but still about $79 for a 7 day Tas cruise.

Now one cruise Mrs Gut had a fall, (it was due to a problem on a boat they were using as a tender) a visit to the ships Dr led to a bill for over $400 (they waived it, but it went into our bill and then a credit, I guess accounting reasons).

It wasn't broken, they didn't take X-rays, it didn't need stitches, two butterfly strips and a bandage.

Why would anyone not get insurance unless a huge bill wouldn't hurt.

I suppose some people take the gamble or a least make it a calculated risk for them.:D

I have a mate in the insurance (not travel) industry, we were talking the other day about if Bill Gates has insurance, of any sort, or does he effectively "self insure" my point of view is that unless your finances can take the biggest possibly hit you need insurance. If you can wear the loss without a problem, don't bother.

I always want insurance in place prior to "payment lost" day, because to me the lost payment would hurt more than the $100 or so insurance.

And whilst I could cover a $50000 medical bill, it would hurt bad.

I have a mate in the insurance (not travel) industry, we were talking the other day about if Bill Gates has insurance, of any sort, or does he effectively "self insure" my point of view is that unless your finances can take the biggest possibly hit you need insurance. If you can wear the loss without a problem, don't bother.

I always want insurance in place prior to "payment lost" day, because to me the lost payment would hurt more than the $100 or so insurance.

And whilst I could cover a $50000 medical bill, it would hurt bad.

Yes, need to be covered. We get the insurance hoping that we don't have to pay the excess.

Happy for people to accept the risk as long as they dont put their hand out to the public purse when it all goes bad.

seen that on some current affair shows they have an accident in bali and cop a $30,000 bill and cant pay it and are looking for help , if they had insurance they would not have that huge a bill

If you need special attention don't forget that on a Tassie cruise you call into Hobart, sometimes overnight. Care would be available from the Emergency Dept of the Hobart Hospital and I would imagine Australian citizens would be covered under your Govt. care system.

I did hear a rumour that whenever a cruise ship full of Australians docks in Hobart the Hospital puts on extra staff.:rolleyes:

Any visits to the ships Doctor or Nurse for medication would still have to be paid for and claimed back from your Insurance.

If you need special attention don't forget that on a Tassie cruise you call into Hobart, sometimes overnight. Care would be available from the Emergency Dept of the Hobart Hospital and I would imagine Australian citizens would be covered under your Govt. care system.

I did hear a rumour that whenever a cruise ship full of Australians docks in Hobart the Hospital puts on extra staff.:rolleyes:

Any visits to the ships Doctor or Nurse for medication would still have to be paid for and claimed back from your Insurance.

I haven't heard that rumour (or maybe I have now) however, with a Tassie cruise there are still a few days at seas, so travel (medically covered) insurance is probably best in any case.:D