Price Drop Rules after final payment

ekatiel

So, can someone give me a primer on the rules of price drops after final payment. We were able to upgrade from an interior guarantee to an ocean view guarantee today b/c the ocean view guarantee was less than the price we paid for the interior. Is it possible to get OBC for the price difference at all (the OV guarantee is about $200 less than what we paid for the interior guarantee when we booked)? Just want to make sure I did everything right and got us the best deal I could.

So, can someone give me a primer on the rules of price drops after final payment. We were able to upgrade from an interior guarantee to an ocean view guarantee today b/c the ocean view guarantee was less than the price we paid for the interior. Is it possible to get OBC for the price difference at all (the OV guarantee is about $200 less than what we paid for the interior guarantee when we booked)? Just want to make sure I did everything right and got us the best deal I could.

Upgrades only after final payment. No cash back or OBC.

No. Didn't you ask when you upgraded?

No. Didn't you ask when you upgraded?

If I had thought to ask when I upgraded, then I wouldn't have posted on here, b/c I would already know the answer ;). I only thought of it after I hung up with the TA, so I thought I would ask here first before calling back.

If I had thought to ask when I upgraded, then I wouldn't have posted on here, b/c I would already know the answer ;). I only thought of it after I hung up with the TA, so I thought I would ask here first before calling back.

keep checking. Maybe upgrade to balcony

I'm pretty bummed. My 3 day cruise started dropping the day after final payment, and is now almost $500 less than I paid (which is a very significant drop). However, the higher categories have not budged in price so I cannot upgrade. I was having buyer's remorse and almost canceled before final with the hope of rebooking if the price came down, but decided not to take the risk because every other one of my cruises had a price increase after final. Oh well. Just adding this to the list of many ways RCI has disappointed me lately.

I'm pretty bummed. My 3 day cruise started dropping the day after final payment, and is now almost $500 less than I paid (which is a very significant drop). However, the higher categories have not budged in price so I cannot upgrade. I was having buyer's remorse and almost canceled before final with the hope of rebooking if the price came down, but decided not to take the risk because every other one of my cruises had a price increase after final. Oh well. Just adding this to the list of many ways RCI has disappointed me lately.

You can cancel now and only lose your deposit amount which will be a lot. Less than the $500 drop per cabin.

You are 47 days from your cruise, see cancellation penalties below. Good luck. Deposit was only $200 per stateroom.

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-43 Deposit amount

42-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq#HfdFpy4FWhf30TLD.99

Q: What are the deposit requirements?

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif

A: Deposit requirements vary based on length of cruise and the type of stateroom reserved. Generally, deposit guidelines are $200 per stateroom for 1 to 5 night cruises, $500 per stateroom for 6 to 9 night cruises and $900 per stateroom for 10 night or longer cruises. Suite categories do require a double deposit since there are a limited number of suites. Please contact us at 1-800-465-3595 for more information.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=426&faqSubjectName=Group+Reservations&faqId=4836#7TrI5oqcZ6GKS8iU.99

Edited by Ourusualbeach

You can cancel now and only lose your deposit amount which will be a lot. Less than the $500 drop per cabin.

You are 47 days from your cruise, see cancellation penalties below. Good luck. Deposit was only $200 per stateroom.

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-43 Deposit amount

14 or less

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq#HfdFpy4FWhf30TLD.99

A: Deposit requirements vary based on length of cruise and the type of stateroom reserved. Generally, deposit guidelines are $200 per stateroom for 1 to 5 night cruises, $500 per stateroom for 6 to 9 night cruises and $900 per stateroom for 10 night or longer cruises. Suite categories do require a double deposit since there are a limited number of suites. Please contact us at 1-800-465-3595 for more information.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=426&faqSubjectName=Group+Reservations&faqId=4836#7TrI5oqcZ6GKS8iU.99

Good thinking!!!

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-43 Deposit amount

14 or less

And I paid a reduced deposit! Great idea! I'm so glad I vented here. I'm going to look into this.

And I paid a reduced deposit! Great idea! I'm so glad I vented here. I'm going to look into this.

Let us know how it goes.

They most likely will keep the full deposit amount that is required and not he reduced deposit that you paid. But if you come out ahead all is good.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

There is a good possibility that if you cancel and re-book you could even keep your same cabin, especially if you are doing it online and re-book immediately.

Let us know how it goes.

They most likely will keep the full deposit amount that is required and not he reduced deposit that you paid. But if you come out ahead all is good.

There is a good possibility that if you cancel and re-book you could even keep your same cabin, especially if you are doing it online and re-book immediately.

I'm on the phone now with RCI. They are only keeping the reduced deposit, so I am coming out $469 ahead (which is huge for a 3 night cruise).

I was able to keep the same cabin, too!

Thanks all! Now I am happy about the cruise again!

I'm on the phone now with RCI. They are only keeping the reduced deposit, so I am coming out $469 ahead (which is huge for a 3 night cruise).

Awesome! Great to know about the reduced deposit. Someone else a couple of weeks ago was not so lucky.

Have a great cruise.:)

Awesome! Great to know about the reduced deposit. Someone else a couple of weeks ago was not so lucky.

Have a great cruise.:)

It took a long time on the phone because they transferred the funds from the canceled reservation to the new one, and the difference will be credited to my credit card.

That's great news!!!

This is the most frustrating part - you can't count on the rules being applied the same way for everyone. I'm 4 weeks from final payment on a sailing that I have nothing invested in (I took the on board OBC when I did an on board booking and have no deposit to lose) but if I cancel after final payment I could be on the hook for the regular $900 deposit?:eek:

If I knew for sure I wouldn't get hit with the greater deposit loss I would definitely hang in there and cancel after final. As it is I'm thinking of cancelling before final payment and taking my chances.

Edited by Biker19

This is the most frustrating part - you can't count on the rules being applied the same way for everyone. I'm 4 weeks from final payment on a sailing that I have nothing invested in (I took the on board OBC when I did an on board booking and have no deposit to lose) but if I cancel after final payment I could be on the hook for the regular $900 deposit?:eek:

If I knew for sure I wouldn't get his with the greater deposit loss I would definitely hang in there and cancel after final. As it is I'm thinking of cancelling before final payment and taking my chances.

I think that they may apply it differently based on whether it was a promo that offered the reduced deposit or a reduced deposit that was the result of booking on board. Have you tried calling back and speaking to someone else? Also was this booked under North American terms and conditions?

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I think that they may apply it differently based on whether it was a promo that offered the reduced deposit or a reduced deposit that was the result of booking on board. Have you tried calling back and speaking to someone else? Also was this booked under North American terms and conditions?

I'm not at the point deciding what to do yet (so haven't called) though with the fairly high inventory I'm fairly certain there will be after final price drops. Yes, it was US rules with US TA. Another thing that is weird on this particular booking is that the TA is telling me final payment is 85 days out.:confused:

I'm not at the point deciding what to do yet (so haven't called) though with the fairly high inventory I'm fairly certain there will be after final price drops. Yes, it was US rules with US TA. Another thing that is weird on this particular booking is that the TA is telling me final payment is 85 days out.:confused:

TA's typically require final payment earlier than Royal. Allows them time to submit, make sure card not declined etc. Prior to Royals final payment date. I would definitely call. Also since you booked through a TA they may have their own cancellation penalties that are completely different than Royals.

Edited by Ourusualbeach