Millennium Alaska - Is this a good deal?

cot427

I recently came across a price for the Millennium, starts at $599 plus tax (I did find a site that's about $100 lower too) in an inside for a 7-night Northbound Alaska next May. I was wondering if this is a good deal and I should throw a deposit on it, or wait? I generally only do balconies if the price is right and I found a great deal. This however would obviously be an inside. It seems the balconies are triple. I know everybody says to do Alaska in a balcony, but for this price and the fact that I have other cruises booked for 2017 and 2018 already, I would have to stick with the inside.

Thoughts? About the price as well as ship?

Have done Alaska in both outside and inside. Inside cabins are great when you want to sleep as they are BLACK. Outside offers views but usually too cool to sit outside and when in ports you are off the ship. good deal - absolutely if the cruise interests you. same food and same entertainment. Am confused about balconies triple comment. Balconies are all doubles with most having "accommodating" a third passenger - preferably a small one.

.... Am confused about balconies triple comment. Balconies are all doubles with most having "accommodating" a third passenger - preferably a small one.

Since the OP is discussing the price of the cruise I interpreted the comment re triple to be referring to the cost of a balcony compared to the inside stateroom.

A seven night Alaskan cruise for less than $600 is a good deal. If you are satisfied with an inside stateroom just book it.

I have only been on the Millennium once, and that was many years ago. But I have done an Alaskan cruise on the Infinity (yes -- even those of us who live here do Alaskan cruises), and the M-class ships are a great size for the itinerary.

Have done Alaska in both outside and inside. Inside cabins are great when you want to sleep as they are BLACK. Outside offers views but usually too cool to sit outside and when in ports you are off the ship. good deal - absolutely if the cruise interests you. same food and same entertainment. Am confused about balconies triple comment. Balconies are all doubles with most having "accommodating" a third passenger - preferably a small one.

Thank you, good points. Sorry if I confused you, the price of the balconies is triple the inside cabins.

Since the OP is discussing the price of the cruise I interpreted the comment re triple to be referring to the cost of a balcony compared to the inside stateroom.

A seven night Alaskan cruise for less than $600 is a good deal. If you are satisfied with an inside stateroom just book it.

I have only been on the Millennium once, and that was many years ago. But I have done an Alaskan cruise on the Infinity (yes -- even those of us who live here do Alaskan cruises), and the M-class ships are a great size for the itinerary.

Yes, I was talking about price - it seems I can't go back and edit that post for some reason.

I suspected it was a good deal, thanks! Especially for one who has to book things in advance due to work. Can't really do last minute. And I'm not sure I'd want to with Alaska considering I have to fly from Pittsburgh.

We are booked on our 3rd cruise to Alaska on Millennium. It is a great ship and itinerary. While we would not book an inside I have to say that we have not used the balcony much on our Alaska cruises. I say book it and watch for an upgrade to a guarantee ocean view or balcony. Excursions in Alaska are expensive and a better use of limited $'s.

I recently came across a price for the Millennium, starts at $599 plus tax (I did find a site that's about $100 lower too) in an inside for a 7-night Northbound Alaska next May. I was wondering if this is a good deal and I should throw a deposit on it, or wait? I generally only do balconies if the price is right and I found a great deal. This however would obviously be an inside. It seems the balconies are triple. I know everybody says to do Alaska in a balcony, but for this price and the fact that I have other cruises booked for 2017 and 2018 already, I would have to stick with the inside.

I think the price is great for an Alaskan cruise. The only one I heard that was better, was my friend got a last-minute inside guarantee on Millennium for $450/person + tax/grat/etc. I'd pay the $599 now to know I'm going; plus you may take the extra time to do what my friend couldn't -- shop around for airfare! :D

If in doubt, just put a deposit down on it, and then you can take your time to decide.

Mark the final payment date on your calendar.

Also mark the date that is 60 days from the date you book it.

As you are from the USA, there is no penalty if you cancel by the final payment date.

So if a better deal comes along, fine.

If not, you can then decide whether you want to keep this one, upgrade it, or cancel it.

Within 60 days of booking, if you decide you want to go, you can transfer it to a travel agent for additional perks.

In the meantime, you can be checking around to see where you can get the best deal, with the peace of mind knowing that you have the current price locked in.

I can't see how you would have anything to lose by putting a deposit down on it.

Edited by varoo

We loved our balcony in Alaska but for that price I think it's well worth it. You might find you spend lots of time on the cold Lido deck looking for wildlife so take plenty of warm clothes. You can also sit at windows in bars etc if it gets too much.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

We have done Alaska twice on Century, once with a balcony, once without. While we totally loved the balcony for it's convenience, light, amazing views, and afternoon wine and cheese gatherings, we simply could not justify the ridiculous price for one on our 2nd Alaskan cruise nor on our upcoming one. Instead we booked an inside cabin on a higher deck and simply got up, dressed quickly and within moments we were on an outside deck. We did make great use of indoor public spaces, but also bundled up and used the warm blankets Celebrity provides and enjoyed tons of time out on deck taking in the amazing and beautiful sights at all hours of the day and night. We are proof one can cruise Alaska and survive an inside cabin! :) Happy sailing!

Dianne

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up booking it!

I actually got it for $466 a person plus the taxes and gratuities!

Couldn't really pass that up...will use the savings to apply to the pricey shore excursions.

• 1 month later...

Mark the final payment date on your calendar.

Also mark the date that is 60 days from the date you book it.

Within 60 days of booking, if you decide you want to go, you can transfer it to a travel agent for additional perks.

In the meantime, you can be checking around to see where you can get the best deal, with the peace of mind knowing that you have the current price locked in.

I can't see how you would have anything to lose by putting a deposit down on it.

Would you elaborate on the 60 day window for transferring the booking to a travel agent for additional perks? Do agents have access to extra deals I don't?

Would you elaborate on the 60 day window for transferring the booking to a travel agent for additional perks? Do agents have access to extra deals I don't?

From FAQ | Celebrity Cruises

Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Celebrity Cruises?

Bookings may only be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full. If a booking has a ChoiceAir ticket and the transfer request involves a change in currency we cannot accommodate a transfer. If you would like to transfer your reservation to a travel agent, please complete this form.

Different travel agencies offer better deals for different cruises.

Some can give you a lower price by including you in a "group" where you don't even know anyone else in the group or have any contact with them.

The cruise line pays a commission to the travel agency, and the travel agency rebates part of that commission to the customer in the way of additional perks.

That is why, in general, the more expensive the cabin you book, the better the perks you can receive by transferring your booking to a travel agency.

Also, the large online travel agencies that do high volume business with a cruise line get higher commissions, and therefore are usually the ones that are able to offer the best deals.

(We are not allowed to name them here.)

For the lowest discounted price categories, there is little (if any) "wiggle" room for the travel agency to offer additional perks, but each person needs to decide for him/herself how much extra you need to get from the travel agency to make it worth the bother of involving a third party.

You have nothing to lose but some of your time if you check around and compare offers from different major travel agencies.

Edited by varoo

We had a balcony on our AK cruise, and only used it once during the entire 10 days. It was so much nicer being up on the top deck all the time -- 1000% better views, and sunnier.

I'm guessing that your cruise is one way. I recommend checking ChoiceAir for your flights, as they will be to/from different airports.

Bon voyage!

We had a balcony on our AK cruise, and only used it once during the entire 10 days. It was so much nicer being up on the top deck all the time -- 1000% better views, and sunnier.

I'm guessing that your cruise is one way. I recommend checking ChoiceAir for your flights, as they will be to/from different airports.

Bon voyage!

Our Alaska cruise starts May 21st, and I plan on being up and outside on the public decks often...When did you cruise AK, and what was the weather like? How many layers did you have to bundle up in the be comfortable while you stayed out on the decks?

My husband plans on hanging out in the hot tub all the time, but I'm wondering whether it will just be too uncomfortable in the chill air...Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

One thing you have to think about is what you want to see. May is early and that is why it is cheaper. Depends on whether you want to see more whale and wild life. Whales are there more in July and so our the Salmon and the bears. It all depends on what you want to see. We are going in July and spent a lot more but have a ocean view.

One thing you have to think about is what you want to see. May is early and that is why it is cheaper. Depends on whether you want to see more whale and wild life. Whales are there more in July and so our the Salmon and the bears. It all depends on what you want to see. We are going in July and spent a lot more but have a ocean view.

We've only gone In May or June. Seen whales every time, just a matter of perching by a window and patience.

Yes that's a great price, especially for celebrity. Enjoy and relax.

Ps. There are plenty of great things to do without having to do a pricy excision, just reasearch the ports on here. The ports themselves are beautiful.

Our Alaska cruise starts May 21st, and I plan on being up and outside on the public decks often...When did you cruise AK, and what was the weather like? How many layers did you have to bundle up in the be comfortable while you stayed out on the decks?

My husband plans on hanging out in the hot tub all the time, but I'm wondering whether it will just be too uncomfortable in the chill air...Thoughts?

Alaska weather isn't dependable.. You could have a very cold week, requiring warm jacket, hats and gloves, then a very sunny one the next, were u can go out with just a t-shirt. Pack a variety of clothing, and layers. A umbrella or rain coat is a must!! We always bring the thin plastic disposable rain coats, even if sunny when u get off boat, having one in a bag is light, and u will be happy u brought.

And shopping is cheap compared to other ports, u can always pick up a jacket for $30.

Hotub is great, it doesn't matter how cold it is. U r only cold getting In, your body stays hot after.

I'm not familiar with the millennium but my favorite spot is actually in the covered pool area, by a window. Feels like your outdoors but warm.