What can be safely washed in laundry special?

I will be platinum on a 14 day Breakaway cruise and will be able to have a free laundry bag. However, I was told that everything is washed in hot water and all my clothes need cold or warm water except for a pair of white socks. I would love to hear from anyone who has used the ship service; how did it work for you?

Thanks

We have used NCL's free Platinum laundry service many times. Everything has come back beautifully!

My husband's underwear, sox, jeans, shorts, & shirts are returned in perfect condition.

I have only put in my jeans & capris. They come back clean & pressed.

I have never put in anything more valuable or fragile.

We leave the full bag on the bed in the morning. Usually, the clothes are delivered at some time the following day.

I will be platinum on a 14 day Breakaway cruise and will be able to have a free laundry bag. However, I was told that everything is washed in hot water and all my clothes need cold or warm water except for a pair of white socks. I would love to hear from anyone who has used the ship service; how did it work for you?

Thanks

We have used the bag special many times and are very pleased with the service.

The only thing I don't send are my husband's compression socks. I wash those by hand.

No, the reason that i am considering having laundry done on board for the first time is not because it will be free; although that is an additional plus, but because this will be the first time on a 14 day cruise. Usually I just wait to do my laundry until I get home. Thanks to all who have posted regarding good results. I was wondering because even most of my casual t shirts and tops recommend cold water.

Thanks again

The only time I've ever had any damage which appeared to be caused by the laundry was some older cotton underwear. For about half the pairs, when I put them on next time, the material separated from the elastic band. It looked like the material had been subjected to either strong/hot detergent water or hot iron pressing. Fortunately, they were pretty old and about ready for replacement anyhow.

Now I have paid for the service and everything was returned perfect. My question is were you waiting to become platinum to use the service one time to save $10 or so? very strange

Maybe their other sailings were shorter so they didn't need to do laundry.

I've not done laundry on NCL but have on other lines and never send anything that I would normally hang to dry at home. Considering I don't dry any of my pants or unmentionables, there's a lot of clothing hanging around my cabin! Regular shirts and my husbands clothing all came back great. We actually found a laundry tag on an old pair of DS20's pants while cleaning out his drawers recently!

I have had black garments (a tee and shorts) ruined by a couple of bleach spots. I do still send out a bag, but only things I don't care that much about, frankly! Like socks, nightshirt, underwear. Won't trust them with something dark again.

Edited by monteman

We send only ordinary (mostly cotton) clothes and they come back very nice. My friend makes it a point to bring her stiff jeans because she LOVES how they feel after the ship washes them.

My only caveat is that the laundry tags they use are scratchy and sometimes hard to find. I have to make it a point to hunt for them before putting the clothes on because they're sure to poke me if I don't.

Edited by Valen9

Now that you are plantinum, you will also get a free behind the scenes tour. The laundry is usually a stop. It's impressive to say the least. And, the technology on the breakaway laundry is really something to see. The crew takes exceptional care of your clothes. We use the laundry on every trip. Highly highly recommend. Have a great trip.

Judge much?

It baffles me how people just look for reasons to be snarky. So unnecessary.

You pointing anything out with no comments seems like a judgement. I love how folks like your self hide behind your name and make comments you could not back up to any one. If you claim your a platinum cruiser in your first statement I don't see why you would think that adds to any question unless your that superficial.

My DH had a printed t-shirt ruined. It was beige and it came back with green streaks like it had been tie-died. They tried washing it a couple more times but the green never really did come out. So now if we plan on using the ship's laundry he brings plain t-shirts or t-shirts that he would be ok with being ruined if there were a problem.

We will send out jeans and other casual items that wouldn't kill us to have ruined and they have always come back perfectly done. We've really only had that one issue, but better safe than sorry.

You pointing anything out with no comments seems like a judgement. I love how folks like your self hide behind your name and make comments you could not back up to any one. If you claim your a platinum cruiser in your first statement I don't see why you would think that adds to any question unless your that superficial.

Ummmm...okay.

LOL.

There is a laundry special announced at least once each cruise. For that a bag has been $25, but I think it's a bit more now. Otherwise, it is per piece, which can add up quickly. If you do the bag special, the bags tear easily. Use a double bag. Also, if you roll you clothes tightly, you can pack a bunch into one bag. On the special, it's per bag, not by pound or piece. My wife prides herself in how much she can stuff into a bag.

We send underwear, PJs, Tee Shirts, and my husband did put some collared shirts in. All came back in a timely manner, washed and neatly folded in a basket.

We were satisfied with the paid service, as well as the freebie platinum perk. We didn't send any fine washables.

hi/ I would also like to know how much per bag and how often can I use this service. we will be on a 14 night cruise in October with 2 nights pre cruise in Boston and 4 nights post cruise in New Orleans so that is 3 weeks away from home!! thanks

I'm following a review that SquishTheWhale is doing for her recent Epic cruise. She was asked about the laundry special and it was $20 a bag and I believe they offered it twice during the 10-night cruise. Here's a link to her review. In post #108 she includes a photo of the card with price and instructions.