Which ship for trying a Cove Balcony?

PekingeseLady

The only options for a cove are the dream class (dream, magic, breeze) and the Vista. None of the other ships have them.

Those are the newest ships Carnival has, and all are very nice. I'd look at all 4 and see which trips and itineraries most interest you. Those 4 ships have a lot of options of places to go and trip lengths.

Did Cove Balcony on the Dream last Jan. Recommend it highly. Just don't get too far to the middle. It's under the galley. We were third or fourth from the front, Port side. Had great views of the waves during rough weather coming back across the Gulf. So nice! Nice and quiet. No issues with noise.

Edited by BigEasyCC

The only ship we've been on with cove balconies (so far) is the Breeze, and we're making plans for the Vista. As far as the balcony rooms themselves are concerned, I doubt that it makes much difference. As Indytraveler suggested, look at the itineraries of each (Magic, Dream, Breeze) and decide which one interests you the most. Study the deck plans carefully before choosing your cabin. The one we had on the Breeze was 2268, just below the Excursions Desk area. Fairly quiet (although we had noisy neighbors), no lifeboat directly overhead, and an excellent view of the port and gangway when we docked. The only down side, it's a long walk to the aft elevators to go up to the Lido deck. We typically used those elevators because they were less busy than the forward or mid elevators. However, the long walk did help to burn off some calories. ;)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. So I think it will be between Dream for new Orleans or the new vista. Hoping carnival has a $50 deposit sale this year.

We are on the Dream in a Cove at the end of the week. For a future cruise we are looking at a Vista 8 day southern Caribbean Cove balcony.

I would prefer the Dream over the Breeze simply because of the port. We love sailing out of NOLA. The city is great and the trip down the Mississippi is something you can't experience at other ports. True, the Breeze has Guy's burgers, but I'd forego a burger for NOLA and the Mississippi any day.

What makes a cove balcony better?

The cove balconies are more private than a regular balcony. You're closer to the water, and don't have to look over the other balconies. You'll see more flying fish and dolphins than you will from a balcony that's higher up. However, because the cove balconies are recessed, you won't get much direct sunlight, so a cove balcony is not a good place to work on your tan. Go on YouTube and you'll find several videos of cove balconies. They will give you a rough idea of what they're like. ;)