Book Excursions or Wait?

Thranduilien

I'm going to Alaska on the Noordam leaving May 29 for two weeks. I'm interested in an excursion in pretty much every port that we will be in (sometimes more than one since we will be in some ports more than once).

I have never been on a cruise before and I'm not entirely sure how quickly excursions book up or if there is almost always a few spots left if we where to book on the boat? My understanding is that Alaska is a very busy place and I don't want to end up missing out because I went along with my two companions and didn't book ahead of time.

It depends on what excursions you are interested in. For example - Mendenhall Glacier, Mount Roberts Tram, White Pass RR, Lumberjack show, and several others are easily booked at the last moment.

Now, if you are into Dog Sledding rides on a glacier or glacier trekking, these do sell out and you are best to book early.

You may want to post what you are interested in and we can comment on them.

there have been cases with certain cruises, there may be ship booked tours that are nonrefundable. So, I always suggest booking your tours, WHEN, you are firm in your plans and you have reworked your ideas several times.

If open to alternative booking options (cruise ships do NOT operate any tours, they are booking agents only) most tours can be booked direct.

I suggest you go over your shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. IF Tracy Arm is on your itinerary, especially take the time to consider your options.

Edited by Budget Queen

I've read of people being not able to do White Pass due to popularity. On Celebrity (FWIW) one can cancel excursions for no cost up to 24 hours in advance, so why not book now?

Some excursions on my AK trip this summer are already booked solid.

Mostly just posting to say we are on the first half of the same cruise! Happy to see someone else on here that will be joining that one.

On your specific question, we booked all of our excursions already, and they are cancelable up to three days before we depart. Just keep that in mind as I have noticed that some of the excursions have been sold out since early December.

I'm going to Alaska on the Noordam leaving May 29 for two weeks. I'm interested in an excursion in pretty much every port that we will be in (sometimes more than one since we will be in some ports more than once).

I have never been on a cruise before and I'm not entirely sure how quickly excursions book up or if there is almost always a few spots left if we where to book on the boat? My understanding is that Alaska is a very busy place and I don't want to end up missing out because I went along with my two companions and didn't book ahead of time.

Why do you have to do what your companions want to or do not want to do? If necessary, do what you want to do. Their loss; your gain. Also, the really good excursions book up really fast. You may already be too late for some of them.

DON

There are some assumptions above, claiming sold out tours. I'll say not always accurate. I'll speculate, at this time, the only tour, that is sold out is going to be Anan. There are hundreds more available.

Cruise ships also, many times hold back tour slots for on board booking. There are alternative vendors, not known etc.

Asking for further information on this board is going to be successful many times with finding tours.

I late book a lot of my cruises, only weeks ahead. I have a lot of touring choices.

Thoughts....

• the first tours to be sold out are flight and boat tours. Think about what activities you might be interested in. On my trips.... there was lots of tours that I could sign up for the night before.
  • once you get on the boat, look at the daily newsletter. Usually on the second day, there's an information session on excursions.
  • consider "combo" tours where they combine two or more activities. This will save you time and money in not retracing steps back to the dock
  • the Juneau tram is the only attraction to NOT pre-purchase. Look up from the docks and if the skies are clear.... buy your tickets at the tram.
  • If the ship tour is sold out, there are private tours. If private tours are sold out.... there are walk-up tours at the docks when you get there.
  • the Noordam departs from Vancouver..... hope you have a few extra days planned at this bonus port pre-cruise. It's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined!

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE]

1. I highly recommend the Tracy Arm excursion.

2. It sold out on our cruise before the ship set sail.

So if there is an excursion that you really want, pre-book it.

How do you book activities before you sail? We just booked, 2 weeks ago, on the NCL Sun, starting with an excursion to Denali. There are many activities we would like to do but have no idea how to schedule them. Our TA doesn't seen too interested in getting information for us. Do I wait for her to send us the info? Can I request it from NCL?

How do you book activities before you sail? We just booked, 2 weeks ago, on the NCL Sun, starting with an excursion to Denali. There are many activities we would like to do but have no idea how to schedule them. Our TA doesn't seen too interested in getting information for us. Do I wait for her to send us the info? Can I request it from NCL?

Do you have a reservation number that you can use to access NCL? You should be able to log in on this page https://www.ncl.com/excursions

I tried to follow through as soon as I saw your info. They said my name was incorrect the confirmation number was not valid etc.

Upon looking up the confirmation number I found the the TA had two different numbers. I tried both numbers and neither worked.

I just wish the TA was more on the ball.

Thank you for your suggestion.

You should be able to look at your shore excursion list without needing any reservation numbers. I suggest you look at the entire list and narrow down your interests. There it also the option to just book your tours, direct with the vendors. Most important- be certain, you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included at Denali Park, no point in even going there, if you aren't getting into the park, in my opinion. :)

Thank you, I was able to print out all activities available during the cruise. The kids will love choosing their activities. Of course they want to see Icy strait since they are familiar with the TV show filmed there.

Do you have any ideas about how to time them? (Not the kids the activities.) We are also adding the pre-cruise Denali Express extension. They had a very short list of activities including the long train ride. Is it best to wait until there to add adventures? I'd like to take a copter or sea plane to a glacier if it somewhat affordable. I had originally set a limit of $6000. for sightseeing but everything looks expensive for a family of 5.

Your help is welcomed and appreciated.

Linda

Thank you, I was able to print out all activities available during the cruise. The kids will love choosing their activities. Of course they want to see Icy strait since they are familiar with the TV show filmed there.

Do you have any ideas about how to time them? (Not the kids the activities.) We are also adding the pre-cruise Denali Express extension. They had a very short list of activities including the long train ride. Is it best to wait until there to add adventures? I'd like to take a copter or sea plane to a glacier if it somewhat affordable. I had originally set a limit of $6000. for sightseeing but everything looks expensive for a family of 5.

Linda

I don't recommend cruise tours for families, you are paying more than necessary, fixed point to point travel is less than ideal, and they likely are going to be the only kids in the group.

I'm only putting out a suggestion and a general comment. It is far superior and cheaper to rent a car and go to Denali. Kids under 16 are free (which aren't how you booked). The train, is parallel to the Parks Highway Anchorage/Denali so no advantage taking it on this section. Denali offers a lot more with a car as well, plus all the interesting stops along the way.

The highlight train section is Anchorage/Seward. Along with the excellent Seward touring opportunities.

It seems your funds are fixed, and if you were to make some changes, you'd have no problem adding both a helicopter and floatplane with your group.

There is so much to see and enjoy for free, which a car is necessary, so I'd advocate including a good mix, which is superior on your own.

Edited by Budget Queen

Linda

From my research, you should probably plan for $500 per person for helicopter or floatplane.

i would check everything now, and book anything that is 100% refundable.

We booked everything 6 and 7 months in advance (as soon as it was available).

We ended up cancelling two of our excursions (replacing them with something else). We had no problem cancelling either of them (one was booked through the ship, the other was booked privately).

But again, check before you book. Every cruise line and private excursion company has its own cancellation policy.

With the help of other cruise critic members I was able to get the possible excursions downloaded. I can't get anything ordered directly from NCL since my name and reservation to not match anything on their records.

I'm frustrated because I don't know what sells out first. No answer from TA and when I walked in the office, last week, she was too busy to help me. She apparently was only in office Mon and Tues of this week. No one calls back. Now I wonder if I should have gone directly to the cruise line. It's tooo late to make new arrangements.

With the help of other cruise critic members I was able to get the possible excursions downloaded. I can't get anything ordered directly from NCL since my name and reservation to not match anything on their records.

I'm frustrated because I don't know what sells out first. No answer from TA and when I walked in the office, last week, she was too busy to help me. She apparently was only in office Mon and Tues of this week. No one calls back. Now I wonder if I should have gone directly to the cruise line. It's tooo late to make new arrangements.

It is NOT too late. ;) I suggest you take a hard look and get the trip YOU want.

As for tours- what are you considering? Vendor information can be given to you directly. Frankly, a travel agent, isn't going to have the details or information this board does. But- you need to get your booking straightened out. Only a suggest, IF there is any way for you to drop the land tour, consider doing so. You can do much better own your own, seeing twice as much and at a significant savings with a family.

Is it possible to get an appointment with your TA, or a colleague in the same office, and resolve this? I don't know the procedures when you use a TA but I find it quite odd that you don't have any paperwork from the cruise-line.

Hang in there!

Edited by Alaskanb

No one answered the phone but I let a message to call me at Travel Agency, no response. I know I should have gone to another agency but allowed myself to be swayed by a friend. Oh, well.

Tomorrow, I go there with my questions and papers in hand.

I still wonder if there are any excursions we should schedule in advance. Seeing the sled dogs, possibly via helicopter, seeing eagles and a fishing trip for the SIL are on the list. Sled dogs are mandatory. If we can make arrangements on the fly that would be best way to adjust to the changing weather conditions.