Excursion booking questions

Hokiegalcruiser

Excuse me for the newbie questions, but do you have to be paid in full to book a ship's excursion? Is there a time window that excursions open up or are they available as soon as the cruise dates open?

It must be noted that when you book an excursion, it must be paid at that time. If you cancel the excursion before boarding the ship, you will get a refund.

What Crew News said, except I just purchased shore excursions for the Volendam R/T for THIS June, and the operator told me to get all money back needed to cancel by 3 or 4 days before sail date (I forget which, when I call back tomorrow to book the rest of our SX's I will pay more attention!). Then I think there is a little window when you can neither purchase or cancel SX, and then after you're on board, if you cancel before the date given on the card/ticket in your room -- you forfeit 10% of the cost of the excursion.

You can book and cancel shore excursions and other items up to 3 days before the ship sails.

If you book online, you will automatically get an e-mail confirming your reservations. If you call Ship Services to book anything -- ask for an e-mail confirming your reservations.

If you cancel anything before the 3 day limit, they will be refunded back to your credit card.

Once on the ship, if you cancel a shore excursion on embarkation day, there us no penalty and the refund will be credited to your ship board account.

When you get on the ship, in your cabin there will be a shore excursion booklet. The dates when you cancel an excursion. After embarkation day there is a 10% penalty. If you miss the dead line -- no refund.

I would tell you to check for shore excursions regardless of how far out the date of your cruise. We are booked on a Feb. 14, 2017 cruise in Asia. Yesterday, just for grins, I logged into my account and clicked on excursions. Lo and behold, they were all listed and the cruise is 14 months out. This cruise offers 3 overnight/multi night excursions that I read fill up very quickly since they only take a small number of people. I booked those 3 and by the end of the day the charge appeared on my credit card.

I really think that the posting of excursions depends on the particular cruise.

Helen

• 1 year later...
Are you on the 28 day Volendam sailing departing HK on 2/28? I'm looking for connections to other passengers for private shore excursions in some of these remote ports. Thx.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

To connect with the passengers on your cruise for private excursions and to get to know them, visit your roll call.

Here is the link for your roll call - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383929

In 2015, we had booked an excursion that required a lot of walking. The day prior to embarkation DW suffered a very painful ankle sprain. After boarding, we went to the excursions desk and advised them that we had to cancel. We were told that we would not get a refund, unless 2 other people purchased the excursion, and even then we would have a $10 penalty. We were lucky as 2 other people purchased it and we were given a credit of the purchase price, minus the $10. I am not sure if this was the usual practice or if it was due to the reason for the cancellation.