Snow in Baltimore?

Manbo

With the forecast for significant snow this weekend, I was wondering if there will likely be a delay in departure/arrivals of any of the cruise ships.

Does anyone have any past experience with snow in Baltimore?

Of course the GETTING to Baltimore part could be a problem and the ship is unlikely to wait for passengers

That would be my concern IF the storm actually hits the DMV, which is still very much uncertain!

But, if I were driving down from Pennsylvania, I'd probably be looking to get there earlier rather than later. DC weather is currently talking about heaviest overnight Friday into Saturday morning. It's already putting my (non-cruising) weekend plans into question!

It's not uncertain. It is going to snow and quite a bit, but the roads won't be a problem by Sunday. We cruised on 18 March 2014 out of Baltimore and we live about 1 hour from the port. We got over a foot of snow the day before (St. Patrick's day) and the roads were very clear for our drive up. Our temps on Sunday are supposed to be above freezing and roads will be plowed and starting to dry out by then. The ship will not be delayed by snow.

It's not uncertain. It is going to snow and quite a bit, but the roads won't be a problem by Sunday. We cruised on 18 March 2014 out of Baltimore and we live about 1 hour from the port. We got over a foot of snow the day before (St. Patrick's day) and the roads were very clear for our drive up. Our temps on Sunday are supposed to be above freezing and roads will be plowed and starting to dry out by then. The ship will not be delayed by snow.

Yeah. I'm just hearing a lot of discussion on timing and actual track, and the forecast I usually follow isn't willing to even estimate snow totals or timing yet.

Some of the models apparently have it hitting hard from probably Fredericksburg to Richmond, and maybe even Richmond south, and the others have it hitting right along the DC corridor over towards Baltimore.

I'm sure there's already no bread, milk, eggs, or toilet paper in any of the stores!

The parking lot is going to be a mess. With 23" of snow how does the parking lot get cleared? I guess they clear the lanes but when the folks clean their cars off it will be a lot of snow to clear again. My guess this will cause additional delays.

The parking lot is going to be a mess. With 23" of snow how does the parking lot get cleared? I guess they clear the lanes but when the folks clean their cars off it will be a lot of snow to clear again. My guess this will cause additional delays.

When I drove past the cruise port on Friday before the storm,the Royal side had a little over 2 rows with parked cars. So this will not present a problem with plowing or getting cars in and out.

Yeah, so we got slammed in NoVA. We got 34 inches. The roads are a bigger mess than they would have been with the original forecast. I'll be curious to hear reports from those returning tomorrow on GR. I knew there was a chance we would get more than 24 inches from some forecasts, but I-95 and east got more than anyone predicted too.

In the past, port workers have helped shovel out cars. They do plow and park incoming cars in the areas that they have cleared because the lots are never full at Baltimore. They'll also plow between lanes. This is not the first time there's been snow for returning cruises. This is just a bigger one.

And, yes, I-95 is doing great now. It'll just be fun for some to get to their homes if no one has shoveled.

Edited by BND