Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

A looming presidential election in Haiti that had already been postponed once and faced deep public skepticism was put on hold indefinitely Friday as the country's leaders sought to negotiate a resolution to what could soon become a constitutional crisis in the impoverished country.

. . .

In announcing its decision, the council did not set a new date for the election. It also did not say whether an interim government would take power after Feb. 7, when President Michel Martelly is required to leave office under the Constitution, or if he would remain in his post until a replacement is elected.

It may be a while for any ships dock in Labadee.

Edited by Cuizer2

Currently sitting at the "R" bar on Navigator-we had Labadee canceled shortly after meeting up with Freedom in Falmouth, Jamaica. Some passengers are upset, but the rest of us are enjoying a few extra creations our fabulous bartenders are creating!

That's the spirit. No sense sweating the small stuff, when life deals you a lemon, make lemonade. In your case a nice cocktail ;) I know many won't see it this way and will be getting a hissy fit.

It may be a while for any ships dock in Labadee.

Not necessarily, no one knows for sure what the real problem is.

Much speculation to it being a government protest problem or a problem directed at Royal. Don't think anyone really know and only time will tell.

I'm 30 days out from my Allure cruise and honestly I'm okay with whatever. I would like to hit another port if we can't do Labadee but like some have mentioned I too will be making lemonade out of the lemons with a shoot or two of vodka in it.

I was just in Labadee a few weeks ago and booked that cruise for the stop there with the FOS. I feel the protesters crossed the line with blockage of the Freedom and most of all a sign that said No USA. I for one will Honor that sign and never go back to Haiti. The plight of Haiti is of the Haitians doing not mine and to disrupt vacationers who only want to spend their money there is misguided and wrong. I have worked hard for my money as have others and Haiti needs to realize that they are not special a be thankful for the money people are willing to spend on there island. They as protesters don't have the right to disrupt the lives of others with there cause,the cruise passengers are not the problem.

I'm sad so many of my countrymen seem to have forgotten their history. Whose tea was dumped into Boston Harbor? The British governments? Of course not. The merchants had nothing to do with it and lost lots of merchandise. But we still talk about so obviously the publicity worked.

And it's no different today, it's all about making a story that gets you eyeballs, on Facebook, Twitter , news, this forum, etc. They obviously calculated that the potential benefit to their cause of this action outweighs the risk of pissing you off. Are they right? Time will tell.

You are correct though that they don't care about you or your vacation one bit, but really do you care about them? I don't, much. If there was some weird situation where me making one of them miss a day of their vacation would get me a huge raise at work I'd do it an a heartbeat, sorry. So don't be all shocked and offended that they are putting you out, it's just business.

Thanks for update; where did you go instead... or just drifted slowly along to next port and arrived there on time.

If this question was directed to me, then I'm sorry that maybe I did not make my post clear.

I was not on the ship when this video was taken, I just found it on youtube.

I will be on Anthem Of The Seas in May and hoping to berth at Labadee on 11th May.:)

Royal caribbean was not able to dock because of protest, they put their people at the other side of the island to try and sell their hand made products, most people cannot find the shopping i just got back and had to walk a long way to find local shopping. Plus they have jet ski close to the island, that destroy the people fish nets. These people are poor and cannot afford to go buy fish. If Royal caribbean want to jet ski there, let them pay the people money for their fish lost. I think americans should protest the way they treat these people. boycott the cruise line. Travel Carnival or someone other than Rcc

I'd love to know where the comment about their fish nets came from.

Thanks for update; where did you go instead... or just drifted slowly along to next port and arrived there on time.

We were docked at Labadee in the early morning. Ship needed several hours to determine its game plan. We left at around noon. Slowly drifted alongside the picturesque Haitian coast for a few hours. And then moved at a quicker speed towards Falmouth.

We were docked at Labadee in the early morning. Ship needed several hours to determine its game plan. We left at around noon. Slowly drifted alongside the picturesque Haitian coast for a few hours. And then moved at a quicker speed towards Falmouth.

Adding to that we got into Falmouth at 8am vs 10am.

Thanks; When travelling , people have to roll with the punches. Poor RC; major problems with Grandeau and Anthem today; can't get back to port due to Snowstorm Jonas and flooding. Nice for people to get an extra day at seas but so many flights will be missed; A lot of people will be stuck in airports for days when they do get back plus those hoping to leave today ... wont' be! So things could be worse than just missing Labadee ; a favourite port of mine.

On Vision now and we have a sea day today instead of Labadee. We will get into San Juan tomorrow at 8:00 am instead of 2:00 pm. Staying till 9 pm.

The crew are very happy since this longer stay in San Juan will mean many will be able to get off the ship for a few hours, which they could not do with the original schedule.

Capt. Michael said they looked at three different alternative ports but weather and other factors prevented this. The seas are fairly calm on the leeward side of Cuba and Dominican Republic but very rough in the Atlantic. Two alternate ports would have put us into the Atlantic. There would not have been enough time to get to St Thomas and have a decent length of stay. Not sure why Falmouth was not possible. Personally glad that the crew will get a little R&R.

Edited by Tagsalong

I'd love to know where the comment about their fish nets came from.

Same here. The jet-ski tour follows a set path every single time. The locals know the tour and there is one stop that allows them to go out and peddle souvenirs to the tour group. I have a very hard time believing the tour is destroying fishing nets.

I am just off the Oasis yesterday from a Western cruise.

We were at Labadee on Monday the 18th and had a wonderful day. No problems and the local people were as nice as could be. Also had no problem with the people working there.

I was so surprised to read all these problems because we just missed it all...

Edited by betmust

I'm sad to learn of all of this, Labadee is one of our fav ports and we are scheduled to be there in March on AOS. I have my own opinion on this turmoil......there is prob 2 parties at fault; a large, powerful corporation and a greedy, corrupt govt. DH was deployed to Haiti after the earthquake (2010?) There was volumes of donations that came in to support the Haitian community, but their Haitian govt took control of the donations and instead of it being given out to feed and aid those dear people, the govt. SOLD them. These people had their already indigent worlds ripped apart and their own govt added insult to injury and wronged them all the more. That all being said, if there is hope for extending the building of the ports, I'm thinking the Haitian govt has proposed a hefty price on their land, or if a prior agreement, they are trying to re-negotiate the terms of the agreement and RCCL is standing their ground. Again folks, just my own opinion.

We are hoping that there is peace, not for RCCL and not for the Haitian govt, but for the dear people of Haiti who need the opportunities that any further development can bring.

While I'm kinda bummed we will be missing Labadee ( I really don't think things will have gone back to normal in two weeks), I would be thrilled to spend all day in San Juan (our next stop). How early did anyone find out any of the changes after the decision not to stop in Haiti?

I was on the Freedom in Labadee 1/19/16 this protest was purely an act of blackmail. The Hatian agitators built a smoke fire that totally obscured their village giving them cover while they loaded their boats to cross the "lagoon". This was not a peaceful protest as I was told the fire hoses were brought out to repel any boarding attempts. (please confirm if you saw them) Later in the protest an American Coast Guard helicopter circled the ship. This mission was not mounted to observe a peaceful protest. This was a deliberate "Show of the Flag" to reassure passengers on board. RCCL should pull out of there and return the area to its previous condition, pure economic ruin and poverty. If they succeed at this attempted blackmail they will try it again There is no need to ever go back to Labadee Haiti

I was on the Freedom in Labadee 1/19/16 this protest was purely an act of blackmail. The Hatian agitators built a smoke fire that totally obscured their village giving them cover while they loaded their boats to cross the "lagoon". This was not a peaceful protest as I was told the fire hoses were brought out to repel any boarding attempts. (please confirm if you saw them) Later in the protest an American Coast Guard helicopter circled the ship. This mission was not mounted to observe a peaceful protest. This was a deliberate "Show of the Flag" to reassure passengers on board. RCCL should pull out of there and return the area to its previous condition, pure economic ruin and poverty. If they succeed at this attempted blackmail they will try it again There is no need to ever go back to Labadee Haiti

Royal isn't going to abandon their millions of dollars of investments that quickly.

You are the first one to make several of the above claims. What is your source for the claims you are making???