SF terminal boarding

kwahl1

This is fun. Do not listen to the Princess advice to arrive at your assigned time, 1:30. What a mob scene. Been standing in various lines for about two hours and still waiting for our "boarding group" to be called. So slow. Senior citizens running the show on shore. 1000 plus people standing around. Maybe 25 people at a time get called to board. Limited seating. No waters. Weary travelers. Oh well. Rewards are on the horizon.

This is fun. Do not listen to the Princess advice to arrive at your assigned time, 1:30. What a mob scene. Been standing in various lines for about two hours and still waiting for our "boarding group" to be called. So slow. Senior citizens running the show on shore. 1000 plus people standing around. Maybe 25 people at a time get called to board. Limited seating. No waters. Weary travelers. Oh well. Rewards are on the horizon.

Shucks, I wouldn't go. Especially with the "senior citizens" running the show.

OH, by the way, did I mention that I sometimes work at the pier?:)

Thanks, you got ahead of me. :D:D

I wonder if the younguns ever realize they are going to get to that age.:confused:

What ship are you boarding ? We had a pretty good storm today with strong winds. CC pax said disembarking Grand was delayed.

Anyone with general advice on boarding SFO Pier 27 ? We are driving in May1st. 10 day Mexico Riviera. I plan to drop off luggage and DW then park. 5- 10 minutes walk back to pier.

What ship are you boarding ? We had a pretty good storm today with strong winds. CC pax said disembarking Grand was delayed.

Anyone with general advice on boarding SFO Pier 27 ? We are driving in May1st. 10 day Mexico Riviera. I plan to drop off luggage and DW then park. 5- 10 minutes walk back to pier.

Indeed, it was the terrific storm this morning that caused the delay in disembarkation. Winds were strong and rain coming across sideways.

Tedferg, your plan for your missus and luggage is perfect for Pier 27. If you need any specific details, come on over to our Roll Call.

Thank you for answering for most of us! Sure hope 'when they reach my age. . .' they can find someone who will say the same about them! As they say in the south. . 'well bless their little hearts!'

Hope they have a great voyage - if they ever get onboard! :rolleyes:

Indeed, it was the terrific storm this morning that caused the delay in disembarkation. Winds were strong and rain coming across sideways.

Tedferg, your plan for your missus and luggage is perfect for Pier 27. If you need any specific details, come on over to our Roll Call.

Will visit Roll Call again, thanks - it has been quiet of late.

Though a delayed embarkation can certainly be frustrating, I try to focus on the magic of the cruise that awaits after just a bit of pain in the terminal!

To any of you doing the 10 day Mexican Riviera on the Grand, I would be most appreciative if you would take the time to bring back, scan and post the patters and menus. We're going in September and I love to get psyched up by perusing the patters and menus!

We got off the Grand yesterday in the midst of the storm. We chose to drag our luggage off early. Although we got absolutely drenched walking to the parking lot I think the worst thing was the darn elevators which are a nightmare even when there are not 500 people with suitcases trying to use them. We just dragged our cases up the stairs to save hours of waiting. We disembarked at 8.20 and we were on the Bay Bridge by 8.55 - home in Roseville by 10.45. A bit damp for the experience but we had an awesome time.

I love pier 27. So much better then the old pier 35. Does the OP not think a major storm in SF might delay boarding a bit? Gees, be happy, you're going on a cruise.

We used the new pier last April. No problems what so ever. The cabbie dropping us off for embark got slightly confused near drop off area but the porters were right there to help. Disembark was a breeze. Everyone was so helpful. Nothing like oldies but goodies. LOL

We got off the Grand yesterday in the midst of the storm. We chose to drag our luggage off early. Although we got absolutely drenched walking to the parking lot I think the worst thing was the darn elevators which are a nightmare even when there are not 500 people with suitcases trying to use them. We just dragged our cases up the stairs to save hours of waiting. We disembarked at 8.20 and we were on the Bay Bridge by 8.55 - home in Roseville by 10.45. A bit damp for the experience but we had an awesome time.

There is a simple solution. Don't do self-disembarkment. Leave your luggage outside the door and pick it up on the pier. Did you really have to be home at 10:45? In general, self-disembarkment is for people who have made a mistake and booked a to early plane flight. That fact that everyone else who does not really need it has ruined it for it's intended purpose.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

There is a simple solution. Don't do self-disembarkment. Leave your luggage outside the door and pick it up on the pier. Did you really have to be home at 10:45? In general, self-disembarkment is for people who have made a mistake and booked a to early plane flight. That fact that everyone else who does not really need it has ruined it for it's intended purpose.

DON

huh????? That may be the most the most ridiculous thing I have ever read here and I've read some doozies....self debark is for ANYONE who chooses to use it.....and how pray tell does someone make "a mistake" booking an early flight? Did they not notice the flight leaves at 10:30 am? :eek: I think its awesome someone could be home by 10:45, especially when they live in Roseville, almost 100 miles from the port.....

Apparently we have a new category of fun members here, its the "Early Debark Police" , don't let them catch you trying to walk off with your luggage without proof of mistaken flight bookings! LMAO!!!! :p

I agree, Sheriff Joe. We self-disembark because we can manage our own luggage. The ones who shouldn't do it are the ones who can't manage their luggage. On our last cruise, we were pulling out of the parking deck around 8:30. I'd hate to have had to wait to start our drive back home. (Our trip was 800 miles, not 100.)

We just did this cruise last month and used pier 27 -- quick on and even quicker off. We also used the self walk off and it was a breeze -- right on time! It was amazing that the rain didn't start until after we boarded and by the time the muster drill took place, it was a downpour the likes we usually don't see in Cali. When we returned, it was also supposed to rain but tucked safely back in our home by the time that little storm moved through.

Compared to pier 35, I just love pier 27.

I'm one of those seniors. I'm sorry I made it rain. I'm sorry I made the wind move the ship which damages the gangway. I'm sorry because of me the custom guy had to go on the ship to process the 850 people who couldn't get off because of the gangway problem. This took extra time. We can't board passengers until customs clears the ship. That happened at 2:00.

So I guess if they had younger people working none of this would have happened. There was a table with all the water you could want.

That storm was a DOOZY! I'm about 150 miles north of SF and we got hit so hard, the rain came in my oven vent. On the plus side, once I was done wiping the water off, the stove top was clean.

We go next month for a 10 day Mexican. I want to go NOW~

That storm was a DOOZY! I'm about 150 miles north of SF and we got hit so hard, the rain came in my oven vent. On the plus side, once I was done wiping the water off, the stove top was clean.

We go next month for a 10 day Mexican. I want to go NOW~

Clean stove .... hahaha!! :D

Early debark police, fashion police, chair hog police?? What is next?

Last time we used Pier 27, they did not open the terminal until after 12 pm. We stood in a line outside the terminal that eventually wound its way to the street. Luckily it was a really nice day. The new terminal is really nice.

DH and I are leaving from San Francisco on the 23rd of next month. Since neither of us have been to this port, what can we expect?? Is there any coverage if you have to wait prior to boarding or when you disembark?

snow bunny

Snow Bunny: We are on the same cruise! Stop by and see our *upgraded* suite!

Cruise port is pretty much like an airport terminal, once you get INSIDE. There is no coverage outside, so if it's raining, we will all be wet, sunny we will all be burnt (you get the picture). Once you pass customs, you get your boarding group, then sit around for what feels like days for them to call your group.

I am looking SO forward to this vacation!