Missed port call for St. Maarten- Dream

JLBellaCC

I have no doubts about the navigation or ship handling capabilities of any senior officers at Carnival. That's a load of junk.

However, now I am wondering how DO pier assignments go out? Are there preferred spots versus more risky spots?

So annoying, saw that this morning. Tired of people like havingfun2010 making cruise critic posters sound like a bunch of idiots.

I agree with you 100%. But at the same time whoever even bothered to post this to John should have known better. Nonsense on both ends.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Totally agree. For all we know it was the same person stirring up trouble :confused::rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%. But at the same time whoever even bothered to post this to John should have known better. Nonsense on both ends.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

The parallel parking course costs extra.... everyone knows that Carnival is so cheap they won't let their captains take the course....hence the missing of the port.;) Really, maybe, just maybe, the captain acted in the best interest of his passengers, crew and ship.

Be careful Jimbo--somebody on this location will take that as fact and will now start a thread about Carnival not paying for the parallel parking class---and then there will be 164 posts talking about the good old days of cruising! :D

I have no doubts about the navigation or ship handling capabilities of any senior officers at Carnival. That's a load of junk.

However, now I am wondering how DO pier assignments go out? Are there preferred spots versus more risky spots?

I have no idea, but that sounds like way to much work other than one point. Certain ships, for size considerations might have restrictions (getting in and or out).

Be careful Jimbo--somebody on this location will take that as fact and will now start a thread about Carnival not paying for the parallel parking class---and then there will be 164 posts talking about the good old days of cruising! :D

I actually did consider that when I wrote the post. There are certainly enough conspiracy theories around. Most here know my stance on the CArnival product I would bet.;):D

Missed all ports a couple of yrs ago Splendor to Mexico due to the WHO declaring a swine flu epidemic. Had great time on board with free drinks and got 1/2 off next cruise. A cruise is what u make of it!

In April 2009, we missed going to Mexico because it was just announced the swine flu was rampant there which was an overstatement but not the fault of CCL. They took us to Key West where we spent all day and it was the only time I've been at a port at night. When we got back from our cruise, we got a letter from CCL which gave us 50% off any future cruise which we gladly used a few months later.

Carnival misses ports a lot. Boosts onboard alcohol sales, gambling etc.

And you base this on?

Carnival has the largest fleet in the industry, the largest number of port stops and passengers.

While weather driven wind and waves are a factor often when a ship misses port the harbor master made that decision.

I'd love to see the data you used to make your claim.

We have been back from our 11 day cruise on the Dream for just about a week. Carnival was a new try for us as we usually sail RC or Celebrity. Overall we had a great time! But, I am still thinking about the last day on board, we pulled into St. Maarten, attempted to dock for a bit- and ultimately pulled back out and it was announced that the swales were too large to allow for a safe docking. (There were two small ships in front of us on either side of the dock, so we were in second place.) Two large ships were docked on either side of the other dock. We would instead be at sea- which of course if not a hardship, exactly. Basically, it seemed we drew the short stick and got a crappy location on the dock and we couldn't tie off because we were sticking out too far beyond the dock. Later, as we enjoyed the poolside fun and drinks- a fellow cruiser told us she and her fellow cruisers received notes the previous night that their Carnival excursions would be canceled for the St. Maarten stop, due to bad weather. Hmmmm- now this is rather strange, I am thinking. Canceling the night before for bad weather for an ATV excursion? We later confirmed ALL Carnival excursions were canceled the night before- not just the ATV excursion! The weather was gorgeous- sunshine and barely a wind.

Now we have been to St. Maarten several times, so we were fine with a sea day. Many cruisers were very angry- as this could be considered the best port of call. One cruiser said that Carnival was on the cheap and did not pay the required dollars for a front spot- a risk which would pay off if the waters were calm, but not with the slightest of swales. Could this be true? If this is true, then I have a problem handing over my hard earned dollars to a cruise line that would gamble a port call in this way.

Makes a bit of sense when you combine it with canceling the excursions the night before, I am sure Carnival has to pay big bucks if they don't bring all the cruisers to the excursion without proper notice.

Anyway, this has left a bad taste that has lingered since returning home. We are booking our next cruise for April- and am thinking not another Carnival- just curious if anyone has any insight into this situation?

We have friends who were on a Celebrity cruise about a week ago, and they too were denied docking at St. Maarten because of swells.

As for the excursions being cancelled the night before, I'm sure the Captain was well aware of the sea conditions he was sailing into, and the likelihood that docking would be a challenge. While the weather may seem perfect for us the cruisers with blue skies and sunshine, it is not always perfect weather to be sailing/docking in.

While I would not be pleased to miss a port, I certainly understand that it is a judgement call that the captain makes for the safety of his ship, crew, and passengers. I would never think to second guess a captain's decision (whether Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, or any other cruise line)...they are put in charge to make those types of calls for the safety of all.

Carnival misses ports a lot. Boosts onboard alcohol sales, gambling etc.

I keep seeing this mentioned a lot. There are other costs involved with missing a port that would offset some of the gains made in these areas.

Not everyone gambles. Not everyone drinks, or drinks from the bars. Everyone does eat though and Carnival must provide more food and drinks in the buffets, etc. when they miss a port.

Excursions booked through Carnival are marked up, so whatever that profit margin would be then it is not realized.

Goodwill...you can't buy goodwill and it's tough to overcome a reputation that you are a cruise line that deliberately misses ports just to mess with the passengers.

Weird...there is a Franknberry that posts a bunch of ridiculous nonsense on the Dallas Morning News sight as well. hmmmmm

And you base this on?

Carnival has the largest fleet in the industry, the largest number of port stops and passengers.

While weather driven wind and waves are a factor often when a ship misses port the harbor master made that decision.

I'd love to see the data you used to make your claim.

Weird...there is a Franknberry that posts a bunch of ridiculous nonsense on the Dallas Morning News sight as well. hmmmmm

You do realize there are about a dozen posters who make up new ID's on a regular basis and post stuff here just to stir the pot.....right?

The cancelling of the excursions the night before may not have been Carnival's decision. They have contracts with vendors on the islands. These vendors may have seen that many of the excursions would not be safe and informed Carnival of this that night. I have been to ports where you have been able to dock but some of the excursions would not be safe because of the weather conditions.

You do realize there are about a dozen posters who make up new ID's on a regular basis and post stuff here just to stir the pot.....right?

For the record, I'm having fun, and keep only one screen name.....and it's amazing how one can make one sarcastic remark, to keep the thread alive!

For the record, i have over 30 cruises and only missed tender ports for weather. Never a major stop. I do believe the poster had a legit question. Why did they cancel excursions so far in advance and why did other ships dock? Both of these items are enough to put question marks in a person's brain as to the validity of the response.