Need Currency Advice From Seasoned S.E.Asian Cruisers

LC1950

Hi Everyone. We're inexperienced cruisers and have booked a repo cruise from Oz thru' S.E. Asia for Autumn of this year (2016). Just wondering if any of you have visited Thailand (Bangkok) or Vietnam (principally Ho Chi Minh City) recently. A bit confused about what currency to get for purchases in both those ports. We'll be in each place for only one "day".

From my research I've found that it's difficult to purchase Vietnamese Dong (or get the 'leftovers' converted back into Aussie Dollars). I'm OK with the other ports on our cruise. Just a bit befuddled with Thailand (haven't been there for over 40 years!) and Vietnam.

So, in your recent experience cruisers, would it be easier to purchase US Dollars and use those in port. I'll only be buying small 'souvenir' items in each place.

I'm fine with the rest of the cruise ports - just Thailand and Vietnam.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to any (in advance) who can respond.

Thank you for your responses. I have no idea if I even want to buy anything in port. Maybe just a small (*cough* cheap item or 2 for the grandies) so thanks Aus Traveller. You've just reconfirmed my thoughts regarding some US$. So will wait (and hope) the rate increases in the Aussie Dollar's favour before I embark. I'm sure the left-over US$ will still come in useful during the rest of the cruise too.

Thank you all, very much.

P.S. Don't you just love Cruise Critic? :)

I have a similar query re our cruise, we have a day in shanghai which we plan to do a shore excursion so don't know whether its even worth getting some currency. I do have some USA dollars are US dollars widely accepted in Shanghai.

Our other port is Kota Kinabalu* Malaysia. Again we plan on doing a ships escursion, not our usual but we have lots of OBC to use and we arent drinkers so might as well be guided rather than our usual DIY in ports.

In Vietnam we have always used US$. The exchange rate on AUD was very very poor.

Thailand - I am not sure whether US$ would be good or whether you should have Baht.

In Vietnam we've used AUD or Dong.

In Vietnam we've used AUD or Dong.

We found in the markets that most traders wouldn't take AUD but were delighted with US$. In one stall we bought six fairly expensive silk dressing gowns for family members and didn't have enough US$. We had the pay a small proportion in AUD. The exchange rate that the shopowner had to use was terrible. :( He showed us the exchange rate that was published by his bank. Otherwise we have stuck with US$ in Vietnam.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I have a similar query re our cruise, we have a day in shanghai which we plan to do a shore excursion so don't know whether its even worth getting some currency. I do have some USA dollars are US dollars widely accepted in Shanghai.

Our other port is Kota Kinabalu* Malaysia. Again we plan on doing a ships escursion, not our usual but we have lots of OBC to use and we arent drinkers so might as well be guided rather than our usual DIY in ports.

In Kota Kinabalu you can exchange Aust Dollars for Malaysian Ringitt not to far away from where the ship docks. Just not sure what you would want to purchase though.

With Vietnam, depending on where you are dropped in Saigon there are quite a few money changers. They do prefer US Dollars but will also convert Australian Dollars. I have never found markets etc. to take Australian Dollars in Vietnam. They just love the US Dollars.

For my Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2 cruises in March, I will be exchanging Australian Dollars!

Edited by resordanis
correction

Thank you to all who have provided input. Very much appreciated. I'll get some $US prior to boarding so that we'll be able to pick up the odd souvenir or 2 and of course buy some drinks on our travels - it's hot, thirsty work being a tourist. ;)