The issue with subeds on Britannia.

tankmc

Why? It's enough time to pop to the loo. Are you one of those who think they can reserve a bed while they plod off for a leisurely lunch? In my book, bums reserve seats.

How can you deduce from my posts that I am a chair hog, I have agreed with everyones comments. I meant that 15 mins is too short a time to set as a rule. I could be swimming for longer than that. My only other comment was to say that the ship should be policing this and not the passengers.

I would politely ask that you get your facts straight in future before accusing me of being a chair hog.

Edited by bee-ess

We were on the 5th December Britannia cruise and the sun bed issue is an issue on sea days!! We have cruised many times on other P & O ships and it was a bit of an issue but not as bad as this year.

I saw arguments, pushing and shoving and heard some very colourful language in fact could have written a short book on the comings and goings I saw.

The man that had 2 beds - never saw his partner but her bag, hat, own towel and other belongings were on the bed, he maintained that as the towel wasn't

P & O's no one could touch it!! he spent more time sat at the bar!! Very nice man though.

The man that bragged he had beds at the back of the ship as well as the front.

The woman who turned up at 8.30 having a right go at her partner for in her words 'a waste of time waking you up to get these **** sunbeds'

The couple who left the kids guarding the sunbeds (4 beds) while they were missing for 2 hours - don't even start thinking where they went!!

The ones who get up really early grab all the tables and space the sunbeds out with them.

I could go on and on, it didn't spoil my holiday and I am embarrassed to admit that I joined in on one of the sea days, I arrived at the Serenity pool at 06.55 to claim the last 2 sunbeds!! I am sure some people sleep out there!! I did stay there only nipping off for some breakfast for about 20 minutes when my partner got up. What really made me laugh on that day was they were all out facing the, sun beds spread out with tables, and the captain changed direction and they were in the shade!!! A lot of them just got up and wandered off leaving the towels on the beds - guess they had sunbeds elsewhere.

Final note no problems with a seat in the theatre sometimes not the best of seats but still enjoyed the show.

We were on azura in the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas, and I thought the sunbed situation was so much better than it had been on previous years.

There were regular announcements throughout the cruise reminding everyone not to hog sun beds, as this causes resentment, and if a sunbed has been left and not used for 30 minutes, items can be removed and taken away and they can be collected from ??? Can,t actually remember where from, but I did find it seemed much better than previous years.

Also there were notices saying seats were not allowed to be reserved in the playhouse/theatre.

Well at least they were trying to address the problem this year on azura.

This doesn't work too well on sea days, which are usually the days when sunbed reservers strike

And when you are the type of person who would like to Sunbathe. its all good and well saying "Don't bother sunbathing". I have 7 sea days on my cruise.

If you wish to arrive to take the sun whenever you wish, then book the Retreat.

After all, it is your vacation, so just enjoy doing what you want, when you want.

If that means you have to take control of the situation and pay, then simply pay, resulting in no further need to complain.

Should you not wish to take the initiative and resolve, then continue complaining.

Doesn't work Port Royal.

Not all beds in the retreat are in the sun.

Not all ships have a Retreat. Including Cunard.

You are correct, but when booking the Retreat early one is able to select the bed position, while on QE/QV it is called the Terrace.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

If you wish to arrive to take the sun whenever you wish, then book the Retreat.

After all, it is your vacation, so just enjoy doing what you want, when you want.

If that means you have to take control of the situation and pay, then simply pay, resulting in no further need to complain.

Should you not wish to take the initiative and resolve, then continue complaining.

IIRC booking the retreat does not guarantee you a sun bed?

If you book the retreat are you assigned a particular sun bed for the duration of the cruise, or are they assigned each day when you turn up, or do you just help yourself on the day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On embarkation, make your first action to visit to the Retreat and book the whole cruise. You will be allowed to select your choice of bed and position. A small gratuity will be accepted gratefully for Retreat Butler's assistance. ;)

Sadly, it is first come first served, as one is unable to book online.

On embarkation, make your first action to visit to the Retreat and book the whole cruise. You will be allowed to select your choice of bed and position. A small gratuity will be accepted gratefully for Retreat Butler's assistance. ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Last year we had a boarding time of 4pm, hopefully we will be allocated an earlier one this year, so we get ourselves booked in.

Do you know if book in the retreat area or down at the spa reception?

Assuming the ship actually moves occasionally, how do you decide upon your position?

How can you deduce from my posts that I am a chair hog, I have agreed with everyones comments. I meant that 15 mins is too short a time to set as a rule. I could be swimming for longer than that. My only other comment was to say that the ship should be policing this and not the passengers.

I would politely ask that you get your facts straight in future before accusing me of being a chair hog.

I don't think I did, but apologies if that's how you read it.:)

Thanks for the advice.

Last year we had a boarding time of 4pm, hopefully we will be allocated an earlier one this year, so we get ourselves booked in.

Do you know if book in the retreat area or down at the spa reception?

In the Retreat

If you don't want to book The Retreat sunbeds for the whole duration of the cruise which can be really expensive you can go down in the morning and book a bed per day. From memory it was about £50 a day? It may be worth considering on a sea day but we found that when we were in a port we wanted to get off. It sounds like the cruises vary somewhat. During the Canaries cruise we saw lots more people wanting to sunbathe as opposed to the med cruise. We always found somewhere to find a sunbed on both cruises.

If you don't want to book The Retreat sunbeds for the whole duration of the cruise which can be really expensive you can go down in the morning and book a bed per day. From memory it was about £50 a day? It may be worth considering on a sea day but we found that when we were in a port we wanted to get off. It sounds like the cruises vary somewhat. During the Canaries cruise we saw lots more people wanting to sunbathe as opposed to the med cruise. We always found somewhere to find a sunbed on both cruises.

Agreed, one can Q in the morning for a day pass, which is on a first come first served basis. Q will start about 07.00 with no guarantee of a place, or position of bed. So start the Q to be safe.

With regard to the term "sunbeds", the Retreat has large padded comfortable loungers, the decks have the usual P&O offerings. You can actually leave your sunbed without concern of it being targeted by the anti-hog brigade. It is also has more personal space and a nice peaceful environment

One pays for the total Retreat package, not just "beds".

Edited by PORT ROYAL

£50 for a day? Can this be true. I must have fallen asleep somewhere back in the mid 80's and woken up to one of the horrors of the 21'st century.

David.

I am going on a 13 night cruise. How much will the retreat be four a couple? I'm confused because all I can find the prices for 10-12 nights and 14 night but no mention of 13 lol

Also 12 nights it's 300 for a couple but 14 is 400? Is that correct? extra £100 for just two days?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app