NCL Continuous Upping Excursion Prices!

ilovetotravel1977

NCL has increased the priced of the excursion we were going to purchase three times since we booked our cruise. It keeps going up by $10 CDN each time. Not sure it's worth a 2-stop snorkeling excursion for $300 for 3 people!

It might just be a beach day for us at this point.

Our DD is 7, should we consider Coki Beach so she can learn to snorkel and still have fun in some wavy water? Magen's Bay is the one that's crazy busy, right? 5 ships in port that day.

Thoughts?

NCL has increased the priced of the excursion we were going to purchase three times since we booked our cruise. It keeps going up by $10 CDN each time. Not sure it's worth a 2-stop snorkeling excursion for $300 for 3 people!

Our DD is 7, should we consider Coki Beach so she can learn to snorkel and still have fun in some wavy water? Magen's Bay is the one that's crazy busy, right? 5 ships in port that day.

Thoughts?

Have you looked into private tours? Go over to the PORTS OF CALL board for St. Thomas, you'll probably find some really good suggestions there.

Thoughts?

It could be NCLs way of squeezing more money out of the passengers or the vender could be responsible. Either way $100 a person for 3 snorkeling stops is not totally out of line, This is why we book tours independently, or play it by ear when we get off the ship.

Book independently. Save you money from booking directly. There are many good excursion companies and do like someone said go to port of call section or just search online and you will find a good deal.

Also I think $100 for just snorkeling is too much. $73 wouldn't have been too bad, but you can find something less expensive not booking with the ship if you feel comfortable not doing a ship excursion. Some people don't like to take the risk and pay the higher prices, but I and many others have never had a problem getting back to the boat before it leaves and I have done many independent excursions.

Since you quoted the total price as being in Canadian dollars it may be that the price in US dollars has not changed, merely the formula used to convert to CDN has caused prices to go up. I know the exchange rate for y'all really stinks right now!

As others have said - independent tours may be a great option for the family :D

Our DD is 7, should we consider Coki Beach so she can learn to snorkel and still have fun in some wavy water?

That's what I would do. There's a lot to see underwater at Coki, and a lot of people from the ship will most likely be going there, so just catch the local bus.

No, the US prices are also up, our CDN pricing reflects our 1.19 exchange rate.

I found another one on NCL.com that is pretty much the same thing, but a lot cheaper. I'm just going to book that NOW, before it goes up too.

If we were to book an independent, we'd have to use US $ so the cost difference wouldn't be better. At least by booking a ship excursion, we get the much better exchange rate and the $50 excursion credit.

Thanks for suggestions :)

Gasoline prices on St. Thomas are up between $3.59 and $5.00. An increase in gasoline prices always results in an increase in tourism related activities prices that involve a motorized vehicle, be it car, bus or boat.

To me the best thing to do on St. Thomas is go to St. John and go snorkeling at Trunk Bay which has an underwater snorkel trail. Here is how to get there on your own:

http://www. stthomaswatertaxi /stjohn/getting_there/ REMOVE SPACES IN URL

A water taxi is often the best way to go as it only takes 15 minutes and you can have a set time to come back from St. John to the ship. No worries about missing the ferry.

Alternatively, I'd go to Tortola to The Baths on a private excursion. That is one of the absolute best excursions in the entire Caribbean. You go by boat and swim into Bath's Beach. There is a bar down there. Then go through the amazing caves and grottos to Devil's Bay beach. You can snorkel at either beach and also in the grottos which are not very deep.

http://www.tortolafastferry.com/schedule-fares.php

If you decide to take the ferry, definitely take Bonine BEFORE you board, many people get seasick in the morning on this ride.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Gasoline prices on St. Thomas are up between $3.59 and $5.00. An increase in gasoline prices always results in an increase in tourism related activities prices that involve a motorized vehicle, be it car, bus or boat.

To me the best thing to do on St. Thomas is go to St. John and go snorkeling at Trunk Bay which has an underwater snorkel trail. Here is how to get there on your own:

http://www. stthomaswatertaxi /stjohn/getting_there/ REMOVE SPACES IN URL

A water taxi is often the best way to go as it only takes 15 minutes and you can have a set time to come back from St. John to the ship. No worries about missing the ferry.

Alternatively, I'd go to Tortola to The Baths on a private excursion. That is one of the absolute best excursions in the entire Caribbean. You go by boat and swim into Bath's Beach. There is a bar down there. Then go through the amazing caves and grottos to Devil's Bay beach. You can snorkel at either beach and also in the grottos which are not very deep.

http://www.tortolafastferry.com/schedule-fares.php

If you decide to take the ferry, definitely take Bonine BEFORE you board, many people get seasick in the morning on this ride.

We did the Baths through NCL. Price was around $75pp. I didn't want the stress of a possible late boat on the return. FYI my nephew rented nice snorkeling equipment at the Baths, $10.