Choice Air with airline miles?

39august

Not all cruise air programs are created equally.

Generally you cannot use air miles via a cruise air program. Some airlines under certain fare codes will allow you to use points to upgrade.

If you can find a ff ticket via cruise air make sure the RCI inurance will cover it. I highly doubt it.

So I don't have to pay for the tickets and so air travel is covered by RCI's travel insurance.

A ticket purchased by a non-cash payment is unlikely to be covered by any travel insurance. Redeem your miles directly with the airline while confirming what the reschedule and/or reinstatement of miles policy should be if you need to cancel.

I usually fly on award tickets so this is an issue that is always on my mind. I have several credit cards that offer travel insurance. I just paid for a cruise and the taxes on award tickets using my Chase Ink Bold which will gives up to $10k of trip cancellation and interruption insurance. I've read the small print and it says that the card must be used to pay "any portion" of the ticket.

Using award tickets has made it possible to do a lot of international land travel and also to meet our cruises. Otherwise we would be paying more for airfare than for our cruises.

Hope you find a way to use your miles!

Highly suggest you read the T&C for RCI "insurance". In many cases, carrier provided "insurance" has far less coverage than what you can find on the open market. Do your due diligence.

Caveat emptor.

Certainly true with Royal's insurance limits with regard to emergency evacuation coverage. Much better coverage for the money from third party insurance.