before boarding : stay in ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood beach?

tweetypie_67

Traveling with almost 3 year old and going down a day early to cruise on the Allure. Was wondering if it is a long taxi ride from Hollywood beach ( seems like more to do n cheaper) to cruise ship? does anyone have any good recommendations as to where to stay in either place?

Depends what you are looking for. We have used Springhill Suites in Dania Beach several times because of their free airport shuttle, free shuttle to cruise port, restaurants within walking distance. However, this hotel is not near the beach, or even near any ocean views.

We're planning to stay at one of the small non-chain hotels along the Broadwalk on Hollywood Beach (Carribben Resort By the Ocean). I can't truly recommend it yet as we have not been there but the Broadwalk looks fun and interesting and, yes, the area is a good bit cheaper than Ft. Lauderdale proper. I have been warned, however, that a cab will be expensive due to traffic. I think we will use Uber to minimize that. Do a search on the Florida Departures Board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495 for more opinions.

Hollywood Beach is family friendly. Not many shops if you like shopping, but there are a ton of Mom and Pop restaurants with many offering specials. Margaritaville just opened. It is nice but expensive. I can't place the hotel you are thinking of staying at. Most are great, but some are a little iffy. The broadwalk is about three miles long and an easy walk (if it is not too hot). We lived off Hollywood Beach for years and you could see the cruise ships from our dock. I don't think we paid more then $20 cab fare to the port including draw bridges and traffic. I think the Dania Beach bridge might be undergoing repairs. If that is the case, it might effect traffic. Uber is a great option.

Traveling with almost 3 year old and going down a day early to cruise on the Allure. Was wondering if it is a long taxi ride from Hollywood beach ( seems like more to do n cheaper) to cruise ship? does anyone have any good recommendations as to where to stay in either place?

For us there is only two where we stay.

FL - The Pillars

Holywood - The Hilton Diplomat (formally Westin Diplomat)

Depends on what you want to do.

With a three year old you probably want Hollywood Beach but the cab or Uber fare will certainly eat up any savings from staying in Hollywood.

With a three year old, all they need is a bucket and shovel and will be entertained on the beach for hours.

Go by CVS, Walgreens or Publix for a cheap cooler and cheap umbrella for the beach. You'll want to take drinks and snacks. Publix has the amazing, collapsable, cloth coolers for $2.50 each and they work great.

Edited by BlueHerons

Depends on what you want to do.

With a three year old you probably want Hollywood Beach but the cab or Uber fare will certainly eat up any savings from staying in Hollywood.

With a three year old, all they need is a bucket and shovel and will be entertained on the beach for hours.

If it a bucket and spade time, then The Hilton Diplomat :)

For us there is only two where we stay.

FL - The Pillars

Holywood - The Hilton Diplomat (formally Westin Diplomat)

The Pillars (in FLL) was easily my first choice but they have a two night minimum for the date we wanted. For some reason big chain hotels and resorts just don't interest me. We always go for places that are quirky or romantic and have personality (and good reviews, lol!!!). Makes our trips memorable.

The Pillars (in FLL) was easily my first choice but they have a two night minimum for the date we wanted. For some reason big chain hotels and resorts just don't interest me. We always go for places that are quirky or romantic and have personality (and good reviews, lol!!!). Makes our trips memorable.

Have you considered Sonesta and Pelican?

I do like the look of the Pelican but they are both high rise resort type properties. Notice that Pelican is a Noble House property. I've stayed in a couple of their small inns and they were lovely. Thanks for the good suggestion :)

My BIL has suggested the Alhambra

Alhambra looks great! For me, their closing is too close for comfort for since we're going towards the end of April so I'll likely stick with one of the two that I already booked. Might suit the OP though. I too have been on the fence between staying in FLL proper or on Hollywood Beach. I booked one on each a few months ago and I'll make up my mind when I buy the airfare and can really see how much daytime vs. night time we'll be spending there. If I'll mostly be there in the evening hours I'd lean towards the Riverside. If we get in early and have plenty of beach time then we will likely go for Hollywood Beach.