One Piece vs. Two Piece Swimwear

katmu

Our cruise may not be until December but I already have a serious case of swimsuit on the brain. Maybe it's the fact I will need to go home and run the snowblower again tonight.

I tried on several of the swimsuits I already own and I'm really struggling with that type of suit to look for. I somehow feel more confident in my one piece suits than in the 2 pieces. I'm not sure if other women feel this way but for me to wear a two piece I feel like I need to be at my absolute best weight and I'm just not there at the moment. I don't normally like tankinis on me as I'm short-waisted.

I'm just feeling lost and need some guidance. I work out 4-5X a week but trying on swimsuits for 10 minutes can make me feel like it's all been for naught. I also have some age-appropriate concerns as I'm 45. I'm 5'3" and 125 lbs at the moment. I've had 2 kids so I don't love my stomach mostly due to some stretch marks.

I'm debating if posting pics of me (no face) in a few of the suits might be helpful or not to get advice on what sort of styles might work for me. The ladies on this board seem a lot more knowledgeable about fit than me. Any tips on good places to shop for swimsuits not made for teenagers are welcome too.

I was looking at a few of these at Lands End:

This one reminds me a bit of one I already have-

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-shape-enhance-ultra-v-neck-one-piece-swimsuit/id_289168?sku_0=::BLA

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-shaping-halter-one-piece-swimsuit/id_259427?sku_0=::BLA

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-shape-enhance-scoopneck-one-piece-swimsuit/id_290205?sku_0=::BLA

Wear what you're comfortable in! My grown daughter (size 2) prefers wearing a one-piece in public.

Your age isn't a factor (remember Helen Mirren in that bikini in her late 60's).

One note on color: they say black is slimming -- and it is, AGAINST A DARK BACKGROUND! But silhouetted against white sand & pale blue water & sky, black becomes very noticeable. A lighter color swimsuit blends in with the pastel beach. And a light-to medium print also works to blend in. So don't try to hide in a black suit. It just makes you more noticeable.

Remember, too, you won't be alone out on the beach or at the pool. There'll be many other people of all sizes, shapes, & ages, there with you. You won't stand out like you do in the store when trying on swimsuits. Try not to be too critical of yourself in the dressing room.

So choose something you like & feel comfy in -- and enjoy yourself!

Edited by frangran

I prefer 2 pieces...a "white middle" makes you look awful when nude!

Yes, but I'm white everywhere. I am really pale and wear high SPF all year round.

The 2 suits I really liked at swimsuits for all both didn't come in an 8, so I might be out of luck there at least for the moment.

I also liked this Anne Cole one in the peach if I did follow frangran's suggestion and go with a lighter color:

http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Cole-Shirred-Lingerie-Swimsuit/dp/B01700CAMS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453835502&sr=8-2&keywords=anne+cole+maillot+swimsuit

I agree that you need to feel comfortable in what you wear.

I do like tankinis because you can buy different sized top and bottoms.

Swimsuits for all offers tankinis that include a bottom brief as opposed to a bikini bottom. They offer many different styles and colors.

I like tankinis simply for ease of doing my 'duty' ;)

Have you tried any high waisted bottoms with the bikini tops? I have lots of stretch marks from being formerly obese. I found that the high waisted bottoms cover all the stretch marks and it looks rather retro with the bikini tops. I tend to go with solids for the bottoms and prints for the top...mix and match. :)

Lisa

I agree with Sadie....two pieces is so much easier when you have to run to the restroom! Taking off the cover up and pulling down the one piece is just too much work.

There are some lovely bottoms and tops that mix and match. Wear what feels good to YOU.

Enjoy your cruise!

Have you tried any high waisted bottoms with the bikini tops? I have lots of stretch marks from being formerly obese. I found that the high waisted bottoms cover all the stretch marks and it looks rather retro with the bikini tops. I tend to go with solids for the bottoms and prints for the top...mix and match. :)

Lisa

Yes! I love retro suits and have a few one pieces, but going to the bathroom with a wet suit is next to impossible! My next one I want a high waist bottom and bikini top. That way the top is more supportive too. I love this one and comes in a bunch of different patterns. http://www.unique-vintage.com/unique-vintage-navy-digital-floral-monroe-bikini-top.html

Yes! I love retro suits and have a few one pieces, but going to the bathroom with a wet suit is next to impossible! My next one I want a high waist bottom and bikini top. That way the top is more supportive too. I love this one and comes in a bunch of different patterns. http://www.unique-vintage.com/unique-vintage-navy-digital-floral-monroe-bikini-top.html

I love that bikini! And it is exactly the style I was talking about. :D

Lisa

If it's your stomach you're worried about, go with the one with the most side shirring. A lot of tankini tops "puff up" in the pool or hot tub and I prefer one-piece suits anyway!

My main issue with my stomach is the stretch marks, I work out enough that my stomach is pretty flat and I'm starting to actually have real abs. If I tanned, they might be less noticeable.

I think I would want to try one of those on to see what I think. That site has some really cute suits, both 1 and 2 pieces.

If I post a couple of pics would you ladies give me some honest opinions?

First off, I LOVE Lands End swimwear!

Personally, unless I am going to be putting on a wetsuit, I am much more comfortable in a tankini. I think they are more forgiving and more modest than most one pieces. I also like the option of being able to get different bottoms (I have bikini, skirt, and swim shorts to mix and match with my favorite tops).

I am 33 and a size 2/4, so it is not about age or size, it is just about going with whatever you personally are comfortable in :)

Another thing to try is to use a rashguard as the top and then find a bottom that you are comfortable with wearing. This is one of my norms - I have 2 sleeveless rashguards from Athleta that I can pair with any number of bottoms. They are longer on me than the usual tankini top and have the added benefit of being SPF30 for protection. I can just pop on either a cheap bikini top or a workout bra under it and no one is the wiser ;)

Look at the Pacifica tank rashguard; I have one of the originals (bought about 4 years ago) and I still love it. I'm currently thinking about buying one of the Paddleout Space Dye tops - it has a self-ruching side so you decide how long/short you want it.

Athleta does have tons of fans among the "mature" set so don't be afraid to look ;)

I'm 65, love the Athleta rashguards too; especially for paddleboarding & snorkeling. I just got the Paddleout Space Dye top & am looking forward to giving it a try in Hawaii in April

My main issue with my stomach is the stretch marks, I work out enough that my stomach is pretty flat and I'm starting to actually have real abs. If I tanned, they might be less noticeable.

I think I would want to try one of those on to see what I think. That site has some really cute suits, both 1 and 2 pieces.

If I post a couple of pics would you ladies give me some honest opinions?

Yes of course!

What do you wear under the rashguards

Those Athleta rashguards are really cute. I think those are definitely worth a try. I'm also curious about finding a good top for underneath.

Like slidergirl said you can wear a bikini top or a sports bra underneath. I think a rash guard is a really good idea. Though they are usually more expensive than regular swim tops.

I normally wear a tankini under the rashguards -- that way I can take it off & still be in a suit. My Athleta rashguards are SPF50. I wear them hiking with a sports bra under them. They are my go to piece for traveling

I second swimsuitsforall.com ! It's not just for plus sized women, I am currently losing weight, but I too, have had a kid so my stomac isn't what it used to be! I bought a very high waisted bikini from them and I LOVE IT! Excellent quality and worth the extra price ( but it's not too spendy).

And I don't really love one peices because I hate geting them off when their wet.