2D Guarantee balcony Eclipse

whatyouknowsays

Okay I am fairly new to this site and was wondering if anyone can give constructive insight. I have the 14 night Southern Caribbean cruise reserved November 27, 2016. I have a Guarantee Verandah 2D booked currently . Anyone that has sailed this ship , in your opinion is it worth saving $750.00 for a non assignment? I am fine with forward or aft and could live with a semi obstructed view. I have never sailed with Celebrity before and have never booked guarantee. Is deck 6 that bad?

Thanks in advance.

Okay I am fairly new to this site and was wondering if anyone can give constructive insight. I have the 14 night Southern Caribbean cruise reserved November 27, 2016. I have a Guarantee Verandah 2D booked currently . Anyone that has sailed this ship , in your opinion is it worth saving $750.00 for a non assignment? I am fine with forward or aft and could live with a semi obstructed view. I have never sailed with Celebrity before and have never booked guarantee. Is deck 6 that bad?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, deck 6 is my deck of choice with the exception of the smoking section being beneath the midship cabins on the port side. Most of the 2D cabins are just fine....and some are just the best. We liked room 6210 and 6208 -- extra large balconies and very convenient location. I would definitely be ok with saving $750 for a non-assignment on the S class ships. Even the connecting rooms are not a bad choice as they don't connect from the inside but have a main door from the hallway, with two regular cabin doors.

You may or may not be assigned a cabin on deck 6 with a guarantee; you may even be upgraded to a higher category. Anyhow, if you are assigned a cabin ahead of time and there are other cabins open within that same category, you can call in and possibly pick a different one (again...within that same category). I have done this successfully.

You'll be fine. Deck 6 is a good location and the money you saved can be spent elsewhere. Also, when you get your cabin assignment and you are not satisfied just call Celebrity and ask them to move you. As long as the cabin you want to be switched to is the same category booked (2D) they will be fine with it. Have a wonderful cruise

We booked a 2D guarantee once (Silhouette, sister ship) and got 1A. We were very happy. The Eclipse is a lovely ship. We spent 30 days on her last year and enjoyed every one of them. We were in Aqua class for the Baltic cruise and for the TA in Nov, we booked a balcony guarantee (not that different from what you have booked) and got a 1A that time too.

Take a look at what you believe would be the worst cabin on the ship and ask yourself, "Is it worth saving $750 to get that cabin". If your answer is yes then no worries.

Ultimately (IMHO) there are only Good and Better cabins. I've not stayed in a 2D but my understanding is that you have a lifeboat at railing height on your balcony and it restricts downward (and a bit outward) vision. Without knowing the total cost of your cruise I'd save $750 and live with whatever I got.

Thank you all so much for your insight and advice. I normally always do land based vacations in the Caribbean and this cruise just looked too good to pass up. I am sticking with the 2 D guarantee and looking forward to this itinerary.

Cheers.

Good choice! Once you are assigned a cabin and / or sail, check back in on this thread and let us know what you ended up with and how you liked it.

I am looking at some summer 2017 cruises in Europe. After reading this thread I looked at 2Ds or a guarantee. Both are absent as options. Does Celebrity hold these back until closer to the sailing date? Or, are they sometimes part of a promotion? Just wondering as we watch the fares.

I am looking at some summer 2017 cruises in Europe. After reading this thread I looked at 2Ds or a guarantee. Both are absent as options. Does Celebrity hold these back until closer to the sailing date? Or, are they sometimes part of a promotion? Just wondering as we watch the fares.

Guarantees don't usually pop up until much closer to the sail date, and only when sales are slow. But there should be 2Ds, unless they're sold out already. There aren't many of them, but I think it would be odd for them to be sold out this far out.

Actually, deck 6 is my deck of choice with the exception of the smoking section being beneath the midship cabins on the port side. Most of the 2D cabins are just fine....and some are just the best. We liked room 6210 and 6208 -- extra large balconies and very convenient location. I would definitely be ok with saving $750 for a non-assignment on the S class ships. Even the connecting rooms are not a bad choice as they don't connect from the inside but have a main door from the hallway, with two regular cabin doors.

You may or may not be assigned a cabin on deck 6 with a guarantee; you may even be upgraded to a higher category. Anyhow, if you are assigned a cabin ahead of time and there are other cabins open within that same category, you can call in and possibly pick a different one (again...within that same category). I have done this successfully.

I love my 6210. Book it every chance I have..

I love my 6210. Book it every chance I have..

I know, we were booked in a group rate through our TA which included 2B and 1B categories ONLY. When I saw 6210 had come open, I tried to downgrade to it but would have lost all my perks and the group rate as well. I didn't see the real problem as I was asking for something less, not more. Anyhow, stayed with my 2B as it would have been quite costly to downgrade to a 2D. Isn't that crazy??

We've also had 6240, which is an excellent cabin but in a 2C category. Others complained incessantly that there was a loud fan noise within the room, which there was, but we love the white noise so this one may have even worked out better for us. One man's trash may be another man's treasure! :D

• 2 months later...

I had a cabin 3 cabins up from yours - #6158 on the Solstice (sister to the Eclipse). I loved it! It was quiet, the view was great and it was very comfortable. My balcony was bigger than the average one since it was pie-shaped but the obstruction wasn't bad at all:

232323232%7Ffp43449%3Enu%3D75%3B%3A%3E%3A%3A%3B%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D345%3A934%3B56329nu0mrj

Loved the glass shelves to the left of the sink in the bathroom. Great storage all around IMO. The hard shower door vs. a shower curtain was awesome.

232323232%7Ffp43454%3Enu%3D75%3B%3A%3E%3A%3A%3B%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D345%3A934%3B67329nu0mrj

Thanks in advance.

Hi

You might get a higher grade of cabin than a 2D,

once you are assigned you can ask to move to

another room within that category, also watch for price drops.

I booked an oceanview and finally got an Aqua cabin for $75 per person

Increase

We took a guarantee 2-D (6252) a few years ago on Equinox in Europe. We saved $2,000 which we then spent on great tours. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We looked out, from the balcony over the tops of a lifeboat. No big deal as far as I am concerned. I'd rather have an unobstructed view but for that price I'd jump on it in a flash.

Our first X cruise was a guarantee and we got a 1A. We love deck 6 as a location though and enjoy just walking a flight of stairs o two to get to where we want to be. We've booked a couple of 2Ds which have been uplifted to 2Cs with the Captains Club one grade upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk