Kids dress code for dinner?

loricfam

They would NEVER deny a woman entry in shorts. Men, maybe, but women, no way.

saw it happen with my own eyes on EN once. yes womminfoilk get denied entry for being in shorts( in fairness they WERE daisy dukes).

Basketball shorts are ONLY acceptable ON THE BASKETBALL COURT.

It's a great teachable moment. We've not hired people (to a well paying job) when they show up for an interview under dressed (or late but that's a different rant). And our VP does not like having to send e-mail out regarding professional attire.

The sooner they learn some of the simple rules of life, the better.

Wow, I really wasn't expecting such a response. I merely asked what the dress code is so I could understand RCI policy and comply. I'm a rule follower at heart, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. We were at a luxury resort in Punta Cana over winter break and the kids were allowed to wear shorts to dinner at the restaurants and ALL of them did. Didn't see one kid in pants. So I wanted to know what the policy would be for the cruise since each vacation comes with it's own set of rules. It seems the problem might be that the RCI policy isn't clearly expressed or enforced, which causes problems for the passengers. That's something RCI needs to fix. That said, my son will have no problem wearing a pair of jeans or khakis (which I will buy) and a shirt to dinner, and changing back into shorts afterwards. No big deal. Thanks to those of you who shared the dress policy and your own experiences with me!

The young gentleman should make sure to be dressed in his evening jacket complete with monocle and top hat on formal night. The young debutante should make sure to wear her white gloves and carry a fan at all times. Please have them brush up on current affairs so as not to appear too hayseed or boorish for the evening conversations.

It seems the problem might be that the RCI policy isn't clearly expressed or enforced, which causes problems for the passengers. That's something RCI needs to fix.

It's clearly expressed, but not generally enforced. I'm not sure it needs to be "fixed" in any way (though I know some disagree). Either people respect the request to not wear shorts to dinner or they don't. I don't think RCI needs to force the issue.

Polo shirt isn't required. And who cares about sports? Give people accurate answers. Suggesting someone "dress up" wearing sports logo gear is tacky, IMO.

Ever see a woman turned away in shorts? I haven't. And I have seen a LOT of women in shorts.

The reality is jeans and a t-shirt is really all that is the baseline and perfectly acceptable for a kid. Shorts probably aren't an issue in real life either.

Edit: just saw "basketball" shorts. That probably would get them turned away. Dressier shorts are likely no problem at all.

That's your opinion! Obviously the OPs son likes sports. The OP was stating her son liked only to wear basketball sports shorts and not collared shirts. So I figured her son liked sports. Nothing wrong with a polo shirt (which has a collar) with a small sports logo on the front on the pocket or where the pocket would be. Like a polo logo or something similar. Better looking than a t-shirt whether it's plain or has some other kind of logo on it. Yes a huge sports logo would be tacky in the MDR in the evening no matter the kind of shirt. I never said or implied that. So I stand by my recommendation. The suggested guidelines state collared shirts not t-shirts as you have interrupted the guidelines. As I said in an earlier post the suggested guidelines are not only for adults.

Edited by davekathy

Wow, I really wasn't expecting such a response. I merely asked what the dress code is so I could understand RCI policy and comply. I'm a rule follower at heart, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. We were at a luxury resort in Punta Cana over winter break and the kids were allowed to wear shorts to dinner at the restaurants and ALL of them did. Didn't see one kid in pants. So I wanted to know what the policy would be for the cruise since each vacation comes with it's own set of rules. It seems the problem might be that the RCI policy isn't clearly expressed or enforced, which causes problems for the passengers. That's something RCI needs to fix. That said, my son will have no problem wearing a pair of jeans or khakis (which I will buy) and a shirt to dinner, and changing back into shorts afterwards. No big deal. Thanks to those of you who shared the dress policy and your own experiences with me!

Your subject line alone contains two of the most taboo words in this forum that will always generate heated discussion ;). Don't take it personally. :). Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by ryano

The young gentleman should make sure to be dressed in his evening jacket complete with monocle and top hat on formal night. The young debutante should make sure to wear her white gloves and carry a fan at all times. Please have them brush up on current affairs so as not to appear too hayseed or boorish for the evening conversations.

Debutantes ????????? All right:)

Society dames are one step from the street

If that don't make it worthwhile for a young man to put on his best bib and tucker what will ?????????:)

As Dorothy Parker once said "If all the debutantes at last nights gala were laid end to end , it wouldn't surprise me :)

The key word is "Suggested" Attire. Other people take that to mean "Dress Code". But it just doesn't say that.

The cruise lines want to be all things to all people, and the wording is intentionally vague.

Wear what you are comfortable wearing. Bathing suits are a hygiene issue on cloth seats, not a dress code violation, and therefore should not be worn to the dining room for that reason.

I'm sailing on Oasis of the Seas in 4 weeks or so, and I do not intend to bring a jacket or a tie. I will dress nicely, but that's about it. Ditto for the rest of my hillbilly kinfolk. I'm on vacation, and I'm not going to pass on my lobster tail and Filet Mignon because of some throwback rule from cruising in the 1990's.

Times are changing. Old-style cruisers will adapt or be assimilated. They're already DOOMED....

The key word is "Suggested" Attire. Other people take that to mean "Dress Code". But it just doesn't say that...
Apparently you have not looked at the link to RCI provided in msg #3. It does indeed say Dress Code, and it does not include the word "suggested" anywhere.:cool:

Given RCI notorious lack of consistency it would not surprise me if you can find other places with wording different from that linked to in this thread, but you are wrong to claim that RCI doesn't say what the link does say.

Are you looking for answers that tell you what you can get away with or what is the right thing to do? All through life your son is going to be expected to act or dress in a certain way for certain activities. ( School/band/church/part-time job/job interview.....) At 12 years old he is almost a teenager. Time to dress according to the situation at hand. Get him a couple of pairs of khaki pants - maybe in a dark color so they won't show the dirt, and two or three simple polo or collared shirts. You can pick them up at Ross or TJ Max or Goodwill for a very small amount of money. Have him change right before dinner, and then head back to the cabin after dinner and put his comfort clothing back on. It's two hours a night that he should comply with your wishes - not the other way around.

As the mom of a 17 year old boy, who has been cruising since long before he was 12--I fully agree with this.

When I first saw the title, I was expecting the OP to be about a toddler and dress shorts--not a 12 year old in basketball shorts :eek:

Now that my kids are older (17 and 19) we feel like all these cruise vacations have actually been a great investment not only because we all had so much fun: our kids are much more comfortable than many of their peers at judging the appropriate attire for a given situation, being comfortable in dressier attire (which shows in job interviews, etc!), meeting new people (especially older ones than they are), etc.

T

I'm sailing on Oasis of the Seas in 4 weeks or so, and I do not intend to bring a jacket or a tie. I will dress nicely, but that's about it. Ditto for the rest of my hillbilly kinfolk. I'm on vacation, and I'm not going to pass on my lobster tail and Filet Mignon because of some throwback rule from cruising in the 1990's.

Times are changing. Old-style cruisers will adapt or be assimilated. They're already DOOMED....

no one is asking Junior to wear a suit. but we ARE saying that basketball shorts are inappropriate.

no-one ever died because they were forced to wear a pair of Dockers or Khakis and a polo shirt for 2 hours at dinner

Personally, I feel that basketball shorts are inappropriate for anyone at any sit down restaurant. Fine for McDonald's after the game, but not for a nice restaurant - and the main dining is a nice restaurant. Might not be a fancy four star place, but it is worthy of decent attire. In my opinion.

Don't get upset. This is a very "emotional" topic. What probably "got" you was the expectation that basketball shorts are acceptable in a restaurant. Honestly, they are gym clothes designed for a gym. Not a dining room. Now I know, that's just my opinion. But you asked, so we answered. As for the earlier comment "no where does it say shorts aren't allowed," well sure it does. Outside the MDR and on the website. Here is a copy and paste:

"Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch."

So, there you go. Not a "suggestion," but a "rule." Will the MDR enforce it? Maybe. Should they? Sure. But why do the passengers insist on putting the staff in such an uncomfortable position. You can read the dress code. Simply follow it. That way, no questions. Have a great cruise. And don't take this stuff so personally. :)

So do the teenaged boys usually wear ties on formal night? I was going to have mine bring black pants, a dress shirt and tie for this. I know he won't mind wearing it, as long as he is not the only one! Because at this age, there is nothing worse (in his mind, anyways, lol) than standing out!

So do the teenaged boys usually wear ties on formal night? I was going to have mine bring black pants, a dress shirt and tie for this. I know he won't mind wearing it, as long as he is not the only one! Because at this age, there is nothing worse (in his mind, anyways, lol) than standing out!

In my experience, on various ships, how teen boys (and adult men for that matter) dress on formal night runs the gamut from jeans to tuxedos.

Most of our cruises, I'd say the vast majority of teen boys wear a button front shirt and about half of them wear a tie and half do not (some wear jackets as well).

DS17 usually wears a tie or a jacket but rarely both.

The key word is "Suggested" Attire. Other people take that to mean "Dress Code". But it just doesn't say that.

The cruise lines want to be all things to all people, and the wording is intentionally vague.

Wear what you are comfortable wearing. Bathing suits are a hygiene issue on cloth seats, not a dress code violation, and therefore should not be worn to the dining room for that reason.

you should recognize a polite order for what it is.

Like when I tell my admin, "it'd be great if you could have this ready by Friday," that means, "do it by Friday."

Or if my wife tells me, "the garbage is getting pretty full," that means, "take out the garbage, now."

You'll understand as you get older and/or married. It's called subtlety.

you should recognize a polite order for what it is.

Like when I tell my admin, "it'd be great if you could have this ready by Friday," that means, "do it by Friday."

Or if my wife tells me, "the garbage is getting pretty full," that means, "take out the garbage, now."

You'll understand as you get older and/or married. It's called subtlety.

Every day I get older. I am married. I recognize the suggestion or what it is; a descriptor to an international client base so that they understand the terminology used. It is not a polite order. If it were, they would be much more direct and use words like "this is what is required" they don't. they are too busy hanging purple pandas and water slides off their ships and throwing in fast food burgers to get families to book.

Yes, it is pretty common for teenagers to be dressed up and wearing a tie. There may be plenty without ties, as well, but your son would not be out of place wearing a tie. (My kid, on the other hand, is the type who likes to stand out from the crowd.)

Every day I get older. I am married. I recognize the suggestion or what it is; a descriptor to an international client base so that they understand the terminology used. It is not a polite order. If it were, they would be much more direct and use words like "this is what is required" they don't. they are too busy hanging purple pandas and water slides off their ships and throwing in fast food burgers to get families to book.

This ^

I think that's probably true with things like suggested formal attire. I do think the "shorts are not appropriate" is pretty direct, but they don't really want to have to turn their employees into fashion police, and many passengers are stubborn, so they are probably somewhat giving up on people paying attention even to directly worded language.