Soda Fountain Beverage Card-$250 beverage card

ddlb

Ok - first time HAL cruiser.

I see you can get a soda fountain beverage card for $25 - worth $50.

What flavors of pop do they have? What is the price per glass - I understand a 15% gratutity is added. Most important is the pop fizzy - I hate flat pop. Trying to decide if I should just bring a 12 pack on board - I only drink 1 or 2 a day.

Thanks! One more question is there any advantage to buying the $250 beverage card besides not having a large bill at the end of your cruise?

THANKS! Appreciate so much the feedback here. DonnaB

Ok - first time HAL cruiser.

I see you can get a soda fountain beverage card for $25 - worth $50.

What flavors of pop do they have? What is the price per glass - I understand a 15% gratutity is added. Most important is the pop fizzy - I hate flat pop. Trying to decide if I should just bring a 12 pack on board - I only drink 1 or 2 a day.

Thanks! One more question is there any advantage to buying the $250 beverage card besides not having a large bill at the end of your cruise?

THANKS! Appreciate so much the feedback here. DonnaB

It's soda-fountain pop. We dislike it and prefer to buy it by the can. If you drink a fair amount then I suggest you bring your 12-pack on board with you.

For me and my husband/brother, the advantage to the $250 beverage card is that it can be used for cans of soda and other drinks, including coffees at the Explorations Cafe.

The Soda Card is, in my experience, only good for glasses of fountain soda.

If all you drink is fountain soda, then it might be a better deal. But if you might want other things, including mocktails or coffees, then the prepaid beverage card is probably the better deal.

Also, I know any unused balance on the beverage card is refunded to your shipboard account. I do not think that is the case for the Soda Cards.

We pre-purchase the beverage cards mostly as a way of avoiding end-of-cruise account shock and to help budget.

Edited by ellieanne

Great responses thus far - could someone tell me the flavors - Coke - diet coke - coke zero? Also what is charged per glass - do you just show your card at the buffet or dining room or bar? Thanks so much. I feel funny bringing my own pop to the restaurants. Also do you get a mug like you do on Carnival - probably not I guess. THANKS DonnaB

Great responses thus far - could someone tell me the flavors - Coke - diet coke - coke zero?

I know the ship has Coke, Diet Coke, and Caffeine Free Diet Coke. I am sure they have Sprite, and ginger ale.

They possibly also have Diet Sprite, but I won't swear to it.

I drink a fountain soda every day at home and liked that Princess had a fountain soda card. Last summer I was on the Maasdam and had the Explore 4 package. Every time I'd get a Diet Coke they'd usually bring a can. When I'd have a mixed drink with Diet Coke, it was not very fizzy. Enjoy your cruise!

Great responses thus far - could someone tell me the flavors - Coke - diet coke - coke zero? Also what is charged per glass - do you just show your card at the buffet or dining room or bar? Thanks so much. I feel funny bringing my own pop to the restaurants. Also do you get a mug like you do on Carnival - probably not I guess. THANKS DonnaB

I only drink Diet Dr. Pepper and they do not have it on the ships. I wish they did -- I would gladly pay for it. However, they don't, so I bring the plastic bottles in my suitcase -- about two a day, just to make sure I have enough.

I bring my bottle to the dining room and the waiter brings me a glass of ice. I am somewhat discrete about having the bottle there, but I don't worry about it. I decided that I am too old to drink something that I do not want with my meals. It is a little bit of a pain to take it to the MDR with me, but definitely worth it to me. As long as it is something that is allowed and I am not hurting anyone, then I'm not worried about it. We tip the staff at the end of the cruise, so no one really loses out. (Again, if they starting carrying Diet Dr. Pepper, I would GLADLY buy it on the ship!)

I think they have the standard, most popular sodas in the fountains. However, if you order something non-standard and they have it in a can, that's what you get - supposedly 1/2 a can - if it's the 2nd half, the can may have been opened hours ago and the soda may be flat - that's what I've read here a lot.

However, on the Eurodam last November, DS drank orange soda (Fanta?) and he got a large glass, as did I when I ordered diet Coke - mine was from the fountain, his was from a can. On the last night I asked for a caffeine-free diet coke, he ordered a Fanta - they brought us the same size glasses we had been getting all along, with ice in them, opened the cans in front of us and poured the entire can into the glass, over the ice.

On Zaandam, they had Diet Coke, CF Diet Coke, Coke, Sprite Zero, Sprite, and I do not know what else. I prefer the fountain soda as it has less gas. Sometimes I know they pour from a can, it all depends what the location has on tap versus cans - but they never told me I couldn't have what I asked for.

The serving is more than 6 oz. The glasses are a good size, likely 12-14 oz., but they have ice. I like ice. One thing I don't like about Europe is no ice in sodas.

The cost was $1.75/glass plus 15%, so just over $2 per glass. You get 24 glasses plus a bit for your $25., not a bad deal at all. Sometimes if you are at a happy hour they may give you the happy hour deal so then you get two glasses for $2.75 plus 15%. No guarantees here.

Have a great cruise!

I've never purchased a Soda Card, but have purchased a Beverage Card. I'm sure the process is the same.

Login to your HAL MYACCOUNT, click on the RESERVATION, scroll down and click on PURCHASE, click on GIFTSANDINDULGENCES, click on SODACARD (this showed up as a Recommended for You on my screen. If you don't see it, scroll down a bit).

On the return screen, select the Date and Location for delivery. When I selected the Boarding Date and Stateroom, the Beverage Card was waiting in my room. I was able to get a beer with lunch in the Lido my first day onboard. You will have to give your Key Card and the Soda Card to whomever is taking your order the first time you use it to activate it.

Hope I got the directions right!