Tell me its worth it :)

AlmostToTheFun

So me and DH are going back and forth on our next cruise. It will be in November with our 3 kids who will be 3,5 and 7. The 2 options we are down to are

1. Carnival Esctasy, 5 days to Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

2. Carnival Sunshine, 7 days to Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

I really, really want the second. But it will be almost twice the price. I need someone to tell me its worth it. I want the Sunshine because I think I will enjoy all destinations more. (We did Nassau last year on Fantasy and I didn't leave feeling like I had to go back, but I did enjoy it. And our Freeport was unfortunately cancelled because Fog). It will be right between quarters at ODD school so it wont effect her first quarter and she will have plenty of time to catch up the second. The ship has more to do and places to eat. A better splash area for the kids. And it just seems more exciting.

So someone please tell me that I should go with the second option :). Or if you think that its not worth it you can tell me that too. DH doesnt think we should spend that much but I know I can talk him into it without too much resistance.

If you can afford the second one without struggling for basic living necessities, then do it.

I would pick that option in a heartbeat!

The first one is OK, I've done that ship with those ports and it was good, but less child friendly IMO.

The Sunshine ports are very kid friendly and you don't have to worry about even doing anything aside from staying in port (Amber Cove has great free pool with slides, HMC is great in itself and you can always do the free beach next to the port or the big Margaretville pool free in GT). I would probably take a 7 day over a 5 day anytime especially because of the crowd.

The less than 7 day cruises seemed to get more of the partiers just because its cheaper for them to cruise a 5 day. With kids it may become a little dicey with the behavior even more so in a less than 7 days.

Have not been on the Sunshine but would take that itinerary in a second over the 5 day.

I would honestly pick the 7 day over the 5 !! With 5 day cruises your just starting to have fun, relax and bammmm its the last night and its over in the morning!!! your already paying for flights/drive so you might as well do longer!!

We did a 4 day cruise to try family cruising the first time. We had a great time but we both agreed that it felt like we were just getting into vacation mode when it was over.

For us it takes the same effort to plan, organize, pack and get to the cruise for a the shorter cruises as it does the longer cruises so we find that money/time trade off seems much better on the longer cruise.

I say the Sunshine if it won't break the bank.

Double the price doesn't seem worth just 2 extra days but I agree that 5 days is just not long enough. We did our first 2 cruises as 5 days and then when we went to the 7 and 8 day ones...we were ruined. It's wayyy better. And you are kind of comparing apples to oranges, fantasy class vs the newly revamped Sunshine... I would look for a better deal on a different 7 day (on Conquest class or similiar) around the time you can go, then I would pick the Sunshine if I could afford and didn't find anything else. It's your vacation, everyone has different priorities on what would make it the best!

No, paying for the extra wont make or break us. We have enough saved to completely pay for the 5 day cruise with gratuities. Hopefully we would be able to finish paying for the 7 day by June, if not definitely before its due in August.

I think Sunshine it will be, because it is what I really want. DH isn't completely on board. He is afraid 7 days is too long. Our last (and only) cruise was 5 days and had poor weather the last 2 days (due to a tropical storm we were following) and our middle child refused to go to camp besides 1 hour the first day. He will be 5 (was 3 when we were on fantasy) this time and in preschool/been in daycare since this summer. But I think with our second port being cancelled and it raining the whole time the last sea day, DH is nervous that it will happen again. The first couple days of the last cruise was great though so he knows there is potential.

So me and DH are going back and forth on our next cruise. It will be in November with our 3 kids who will be 3,5 and 7. The 2 options we are down to are

1. Carnival Esctasy, 5 days to Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

2. Carnival Sunshine, 7 days to Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

I really, really want the second. But it will be almost twice the price. I need someone to tell me its worth it. I want the Sunshine because I think I will enjoy all destinations more. (We did Nassau last year on Fantasy and I didn't leave feeling like I had to go back, but I did enjoy it. And our Freeport was unfortunately cancelled because Fog). It will be right between quarters at ODD school so it wont effect her first quarter and she will have plenty of time to catch up the second. The ship has more to do and places to eat. A better splash area for the kids. And it just seems more exciting.

So someone please tell me that I should go with the second option :). Or if you think that its not worth it you can tell me that too. DH doesnt think we should spend that much but I know I can talk him into it without too much resistance.

I did a search on Carnival's web site, but couldn't find a 5-day on the Ecstasy in November. Where did you find it? Are you sure that's the right ship?

Edited by beachbum53

You are really comparing apples to oranges. Both a fruit and enjoyable, but for different reasons.

If you can afford it and its what you want go for the Sunshine, because I'm willing to bet although you would probably have fun on the Ecstasy you would probably be kicking yourself the entire time, wishing you had booked the Sunshine.

My choice would always be a 7 day. Having said that I have sailed a 5 day because it was the only cruise that worked for us. ( My DS wanted a cruise for his high school graduation present) We drove to Jax, had 2 ports Nassau and HMC. HMC was canceled. We had a great time, and because no other cruises fit our needs for that particular vacation, we did not regret it.

I have also sailed a 6 day. It was DH's first cruise. It was chosen for the ship (Breeze) and it stopped @ Key West. Again it worked for that vacation.

I currently have 3 cruises booked. 2 7 day (1 Eastern and 1 Western) and a 5 day to Bahamas. We chose the 5 day because my step daughters will be joining us (first ever cruise for them), it coincides with their summer with us, it is less than a 2 hour drive to Port Canaveral, and it would cost around a thousand more to go on a 7 day for the four of us.

Now if you ONLY want support in your decision, then by all means it is worth it!