how common are balcony wind noise issues?

juanarcin

I've been on 3 cruises and all three have been balcony rooms. My first cruise I had no complaints. the second cruise, however, I was loosing my mind on the second to last night. There was a horrible noise in my cabin all night long that seemed to be coming from the balcony door. Like their was a tiny hole somewhere and all the air was coming through it making this high pitched whistle.

I figured it was just an unlucky circumstance. But the last cruise I went on had the same issue for 3 nights straight! I complained on the first night and maintenance came to take a look, but they couldn't fix it. I was given a discount towards my next cruise.

I really love sitting out there on the balcony with a drink and all...but now i'm starting to wonder if it's worth the hassle? How common are these issues?did I just get very unlucky twice? or are the odds closer to a flip of the coin?

We have run in to balcony door whistles on a couple of cruises. We found that locking the door eliminated the noise. Evidently, the gasket was sorn enough so the weight of the door was not sufficient to compress it.

Doc

Often opening and closing the door firmly and locking the door while pushing on the door will solve this problem. If not, there are always the ear plugs, which I know most CC members carry with them on all trips and/or the roll of duct tape you have brought with you just in case you need it. I've only had this problem once but I found that when I opened and closed the door again and locked it, the problem was fixed. I think part of the reason I have not encountered this problem much is that we mainly sail on ships under 10 years old and preferably less than 5 years old. These ships have not yet had time to get worn out.

I've been on 3 cruises and all three have been balcony rooms. My first cruise I had no complaints. the second cruise, however, I was loosing my mind on the second to last night. There was a horrible noise in my cabin all night long that seemed to be coming from the balcony door. Like their was a tiny hole somewhere and all the air was coming through it making this high pitched whistle.

I figured it was just an unlucky circumstance. But the last cruise I went on had the same issue for 3 nights straight! I complained on the first night and maintenance came to take a look, but they couldn't fix it. I was given a discount towards my next cruise.

I really love sitting out there on the balcony with a drink and all...but now i'm starting to wonder if it's worth the hassle? How common are these issues?did I just get very unlucky twice? or are the odds closer to a flip of the coin?

Ear plugs

Just fifty cruises here, but my experience has been that the cabins the most forward, up very near the bridge, for example and up on higher decks are the most likely to experience high winds. Usually the highest winds hit only one side of the ship. It all depends on the wind direction at any given moment.

Just be sure you keep the balcony door closed tightly to avoid the high-pitched wind whistle.

Edited by Gangway Style

You have had some unlucky experiences... we have cruised for years, had a situation coming back from ALASKA one night as you describe. My DH is a cabinet maker so he managed tie the door handle with something so the stopped the whistling during the night. Next morning we reported the problem and maintenance came and put in new weather stripping on the balcony door, so was fixed totally. We have done 50+ cruises, mostly on Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard plus some other lines. We always book a balcony... love them. Don't give up...