Advices needed from parents!!

May2016

This May, we will be travelling on MSC magnifica and we never been on a cruise before.... We will be bringing our little baby who will be 23 weeks old (nearly 6 months). We realise we have a problem when it comes to making milk for our son. I need access to washing all the bottles, and then sterlise the bottle before making milk with boiled water (formula) for a whole week. The MSC said there have sterlisers on board that we can use, and I can get boiled water from the buffet service. I will bring my hot flask anyway as I need it for my travel.

Any of you have experience on this cruise and give me advice and reassurance? I'm tempted to buy travel steriliser bags!!! Help!

First time mum too!

At 6 months, a child shouldn't need all that sterilization....they are starting to crawl and touch things...they're getting plenty of germs!

I would use disposable bottles (or liners)...and you really don't need sterile water...bottled water will be just fine.

Also...make sure of the cruise line's guidelines on baby ages....on many lines, unless a child is 6 months old on SAIL DAY, you won't be allowed on the ship!

We assume the OP knows that MSC has a minumum age requirement of 6 months. Since the baby will be slightly younger then that requirement, it would be wise to get written permission from MSC prior to the cruise.

Hank

We assume the OP knows that MSC has a minumum age requirement of 6 months. Since the baby will be slightly younger then that requirement, it would be wise to get written permission from MSC prior to the cruise.

Hank

there will NOT be permission granted. there is no leeway. if you are not EXACTLY six months old or older on the day of embarkation you do not embark. not even if you turn 6 months old the next day

There is a Family Cruising section on Cruise Critic. You will find a LOT of information for what you need to accomodate your child. Remember to bring more diapers than you think you will need as they are very limited and very expensive on the ship! Here is the link to that section: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Edited by Sauer-kraut

This May, we will be travelling on MSC magnifica and we never been on a cruise before.... We will be bringing our little baby who will be 23 weeks old (nearly 6 months). We realise we have a problem when it comes to making milk for our son. I need access to washing all the bottles, and then sterlise the bottle before making milk with boiled water (formula) for a whole week. The MSC said there have sterlisers on board that we can use, and I can get boiled water from the buffet service. I will bring my hot flask anyway as I need it for my travel.

Any of you have experience on this cruise and give me advice and reassurance? I'm tempted to buy travel steriliser bags!!! Help!

First time mum too!

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic. Congratulations on being a first time mum.

As Sauer-kraut mentioned, the Family Forum here on Cruise Critic offers great advice. However, you might want to be a little more specific in your subject heading if you post there.

There is also a Forum specific to MSC Cruises and you could post there for more information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Edited by MarKay525

I was curious, so looked it up. No mention of a specific age in the FAQ section.

From the MSC Cruises website:

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE TO SAIL?

The minimum age to sail unaccompanied is 21 when departing from USA ports and 18 when departing from International ports. Underage children must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult who expressly agrees to be responsible for the minor and is booked in the same or connecting/nearby stateroom/suite. <snip>In the event Passenger intends to bring on board any child under the age of 12 months, the Company recommends seeking medical advice from the child’s physician confirming such child’s fitness to travel on an international ocean voyage.

Also...make sure of the cruise line's guidelines on baby ages....on many lines, unless a child is 6 months old on SAIL DAY, you won't be allowed on the ship!

We assume the OP knows that MSC has a minumum age requirement of 6 months. Since the baby will be slightly younger then that requirement, it would be wise to get written permission from MSC prior to the cruise. Hank

there will NOT be permission granted. there is no leeway. if you are not EXACTLY six months old or older on the day of embarkation you do not embark. not even if you turn 6 months old the next day

I am not familiar with MSC's minimum age requirement, but do check on that. As far as sterilizing I would not worry about that at all. By that age baby will be trying to chew the remote and your shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time mum too!

First time mother with a 6 month old baby in an unfamiliar and unusual setting with limited medical care and baby friendly amenities - What's wrong with this picture?

This May, we will be travelling on MSC magnifica and we never been on a cruise before.... We will be bringing our little baby who will be 23 weeks old (nearly 6 months).

First time mum too!

have you checked with the cruiselines that baby can travel? Are they aware that he is NEARLY 6 months old?

Most cruiselines wants the baby to be 6 months by the day of sailing.

What is the itinerary? Will you be in the Mediterranean? Are all your stops EU stops or at least medical care or EU standard? If so, it would not worry me at all to be on a ship at that age.

Do you need to fly to reach the ship? A long flight?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

First thing the OP should do is to double check on the minimum age for babies for her specific cruise. It could be that the TA booked it without plugging in the exact age for the baby so that could be problematic if they show up to the port terminal with the kid's birth certificate (which will be required) and get turned away (and there's no refund on the fares at that point).

With some itineraries, it's six months and on others it's one year. And there's no leeway on the date, even a day as there's liability concerns for the line.

As for sterilization, I would agree. At that point, a child would either have decent immunity (especially if they've been exposed to other babies and kids) or not.

It might be beneficial to postpone the booking for at least a month or so to achieve the 6 months or older status. Another problem is, consecutive cruise days as some lines increase the minimum age requirement to 12 months where consecutive sea days exceed a set number.

Regards John

You can get a Yeti Rambler 20oz or 30oz capacity from Cabelas and the like for $30. You can bring your hot milk back to you cabin and the Yeti will keep milk warm for a long time, saving you trips back and forth. Take it with when you go to the pool and other venues to get a warm fill up if needed.