Trouble getting 17 year old's passport Needing sugestions

jenndun

It's been a frustrating afternoon. I went with my 17 year old to get her passport and the lady said since she doesn't have an driver's license (only a learner's license) she can't get it without her dad there. This is why we waited until she was over 16. He doesn't live anywhere near us. I called the US Passport office and they said the lady was wrong she just needed secondary id. So we went back and the lady said no she needed her dad there. Now I'm at a loss as of what to do. I have a court order saying I can get it but she didn't think that would be enough. She kept saying he had to be there. Anyone have any advice as what we need to do. We live in a small town so there isn't anywhere else to get it done at. I know we can sail with just her bc and id. We've done it many time with Carnival but I really wanted her to have a passport now that she's older.

Sounds like the passport agent is not going to relent even if you can show her the regulation.

I guess l would seriously consider finding out the hours of the next nearest agent, make an appointment if you can and do the drive.

Alternately contact your US Congressman's office s/he has a staff that helps with all sorts of issues.

How much time do you have before the cruise?

Charlie

It's been a frustrating afternoon. I went with my 17 year old to get her passport and the lady said since she doesn't have an driver's license (only a learner's license) she can't get it without her dad there. This is why we waited until she was over 16. He doesn't live anywhere near us. I called the US Passport office and they said the lady was wrong she just needed secondary id. So we went back and the lady said no she needed her dad there. Now I'm at a loss as of what to do. I have a court order saying I can get it but she didn't think that would be enough. She kept saying he had to be there. Anyone have any advice as what we need to do. We live in a small town so there isn't anywhere else to get it done at. I know we can sail with just her bc and id. We've done it many time with Carnival but I really wanted her to have a passport now that she's older.

Go back to the office, and have them call. If they refuse then you call, and have them call them. Sometimes, all it takes is a little bit of persistense.

The woman is wrong, show her the link that is posted above. If you click on more under photo identification, it says exactly what you were told by the passport office.

I know you said this is a tiny office that you are going to, is there a time when this lady doesn't work that you can have another person review the paperwork? Is there a supervisor that you can ask for or is this lady it?

Very frustrating, I hope you can make this woman see she is wrong and don't have to drive an hour away to get this application accepted.

Thanks we don't cruise until June so I have awhile. The next closest place is over an hour drive. But we might have to go there. I just don't want to get there and have the same issue.

I'd just say that you know for a fact that you have evwrything required and to please process the application

No harm in taking some more info and giving it another try. There's nothing worse than dealing with local government fools who enjoy their power and ingnorance:rolleyes:

When I took my daughter in for her passport renewal a few months ago the lady rudely INSISTED we needed a copy of her birth cert to send in with it. I told her no, it's right on the form what's required and that isn't listed. She said "fine, I'll send it in without if you insist, she won't get her passport". Two weeks later we had her new passport.........

Good Luck!:)

Edited by bouhunter

The lady is wrong. My 16 year old has only a learner's permit and was allowed to get his passport with only me present (his dad and I are married, he was just working) I agree driving farther might be worth it. I'm glad you started trying early!

Where are you cruising to? If it's the Caribbean, you do NOT need a passport. Her learner's permit (if there's a photo attached) and her BC is more than fine.

cb at sea what you stated only applies if it's a closed loop cruise otherwise a passport is required.

Where are you cruising to? If it's the Caribbean, you do NOT need a passport. Her learner's permit (if there's a photo attached) and her BC is more than fine.

The OP has also stated that she knows this and has done this for other cruises. That's not what she was asking.

I know it's not exactly what the OP was asking, but I agree with the above. Just go on this cruise with the same ID as usual. As soon as your daughter is 18 let her get her own Passport and you won't have to worry about all this bother.