Rhapsody of the seas- should I cancel

Bedruthen

We have an aft cabin booked on deck 7 on Rhapsody in May, but are having second thoughts. We have just read through the latest cruise critic reviews of the ship and they are pretty dismal, complaining of a tired ship and poor food. In addition service for those with a drinks package is almost non existent.

We were really looking forward to having an aft cabin but we have read that because she is an old ship, anything above 15 knots and the vibration is so bad that we won't be able to sleep. Someone even asked the cabin steward to seal the drawers with duct tape because the vibration is that bad.

Now we are seriously thinking about cancelling, as the prospect of a lack of sleep and cold food is putting us off. Has anyone sailed on Rhapsody recently and are the problems really that bad?

We sailed on Rhapsody last August for the Greek Isles and though it was exellent all round.

Not tired

Food in WJ and MTD excellent.

However, we had a mid/forward cabin and didn't notic vibration.

I will say that on the top deck Aft I did notice vibration underfoot, so I suspect there is an issue with propshaft balance, bearings, or similar.

didn't suffer from this either....what had you read/heard about this issue?

This is an example of what is being said

"The service outside of the formal dining room was exceptionally poor. At the pool bar the bartenders learned that I had an all inclusive drink package that meant I did not get a receipt therefore they were not given an automatic 15% tip - knowing this, they would not serve me - I had to go to other bars to get served. I cannot begin to share my frustration with this. One bartender during the day at the pool bar blatantly ignored me face to face rather than get my drink. "

It seems that it is an issue with the prepaid tips, although never having had a drinks package previously, I am not entirely sure how it works.

"The service outside of the formal dining room was exceptionally poor. At the pool bar the bartenders learned that I had an all inclusive drink package that meant I did not get a receipt therefore they were not given an automatic 15% tip - knowing this, they would not serve me - I had to go to other bars to get served. I cannot begin to share my frustration with this. One bartender during the day at the pool bar blatantly ignored me face to face rather than get my drink. "

It seems that it is an issue with the prepaid tips, although never having had a drinks package previously, I am not entirely sure how it works.

Have had soft drinks and wine/beer package on all previous cruises and never had a problem at outside bars at all, and I also had pre-paid gratuities. odd.

sailed in September and did not have any of these issues.

We were in Aft JS, 8098, sme as we were on Splendour the year before.

The only time we noticed the vibration was during docking operations.

Service in MDR was great.

windjammer was great.

schooner bar, solarium bar, pool bar, champagne bar were all excellent.

just make small talk with the bartenders the first time you meet them and you should find you have great service.

I'll agree there have been some definite bad reviews lately, one in particular especially. I wouldn't let it affect you though. I'm on the Rhapsody in April for the 14 night ocean crossing and still really looking forward to it.

sailed in September and did not have any of these issues.

We were in Aft JS, 8098, sme as we were on Splendour the year before.

The only time we noticed the vibration was during docking operations.

Service in MDR was great.

windjammer was great.

schooner bar, solarium bar, pool bar, champagne bar were all excellent.

just make small talk with the bartenders the first time you meet them and you should find you have great service.

Go on your cruise and look forward to having a great time and you will! Go on a cruise and look for the negatives you read about and you will have a

disappointing cruise. Some people love being negative and want something for nothing. My wife and I hear many people complain at guest services, because they want something free. These people live to be unhappy for

freebies. It's how they enjoy their cruise! Get something for nothing. Then

their happy for 1 day. Next day at guest services for another freebie. No hot

water in the shower! So, sorry! How about a bottle of wine for the problem. Well, okay it's not necessary but Thank You! A Cabernet would be nice! If you ever get bored, go sit and listen to some of the complaints at Guest Services and you'll have a few laughs. Some are unbelievable!

Edited by IsanTom

Go on your cruise and look forward to having a great time and you will! Go on a cruise and look for the negatives you read about and you will have a

disappointing cruise. Some people love being negative and want something for nothing. My wife and I hear many people complain at guest services, because they want something free. These people live to be unhappy for

freebies. It's how they enjoy their cruise! Get something for nothing. Then

their happy for 1 day. Next day at guest services for another freebie. No hot

water in the shower! So, sorry! How about a bottle of wine for the problem. Well, okay it's not necessary but Thank You! A Cabernet would be nice! If you ever get bored, go sit and listen to some of the complaints at Guest Services and you'll have a few laughs. Some are unbelievable!

Unfortunately what I have highlighted is too true....but I have to use my time having fun and relaxing to care to spend my time getting my comic relief from other passengers.

But I have shared a breakfast table with a few complainers and that wasn't much fun....but we still did enjoy our breakfast even though they could find nothing good about it at all.....and we were at the same table.

There is an automatic tip of 18% on all drinks and on the drink package, so the bartender is already sharing in that. The poster who suggested the bartender was not getting tips is incorrect. I have never had difficulty getting service with a package.

Listen to all the BS you hear from people and you'll never leave your house......:rolleyes::rolleyes: Do you believe everything you read? Look at the good reviews as opposed to the bad, add them up and maybe just maybe you can make your own educated guess instead of making a silly knee jerk reaction...:rolleyes:

Listen to all the BS you hear from people and you'll never leave your house......:rolleyes::rolleyes: Do you believe everything you read? Look at the good reviews as opposed to the bad, add them up and maybe just maybe you can make your own educated guess instead of making a silly knee jerk reaction...:rolleyes:

What a spiteful post, though having looked through a number of your previous posts, with not a single useful contribution to be found, it does appear to be your speciality.

If you don't have anything remotely useful to contribute, then may I politely suggest that in future you keep your opinions to yourself. You don't know me, or indeed any of the posters on other threads that you have chosen to criticise. Thankfully there are many other people on this site who can make a helpful contribution for which I am grateful.

Edited by Bedruthen

Go.

The time that the aft vibration is a problem is when they are running late and have to speed up. If the ship is on time, the vibration is ok. At least is is for us.

Twice, we've sailed on her in a corner aft cabin, and only one day was the vibration bad. And the 3 hour delay was what caused that, as we had to hurry to get our time to sail between Sicily and Italy. The other 16 nights were fine.

There are a lot of positive posts about the rhapsody out there, too. Read some of them.

We have an aft cabin booked on deck 7 on Rhapsody in May, but are having second thoughts. We have just read through the latest cruise critic reviews of the ship and they are pretty dismal, complaining of a tired ship and poor food. In addition service for those with a drinks package is almost non existent.

We were really looking forward to having an aft cabin but we have read that because she is an old ship, anything above 15 knots and the vibration is so bad that we won't be able to sleep. Someone even asked the cabin steward to seal the drawers with duct tape because the vibration is that bad.

Now we are seriously thinking about cancelling, as the prospect of a lack of sleep and cold food is putting us off. Has anyone sailed on Rhapsody recently and are the problems really that bad?

NO NO NO, don't cancel your cruise. As others have posted, some people are just complainers and there's just no making them happy. We've been on Rhapsody twice and wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again! Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
NO NO NO, don't cancel your cruise. As others have posted, some people are just complainers and there's just no making them happy. We've been on Rhapsody twice and wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again! Enjoy your cruise!

I agree 100%! I am on the Rhapsody B to B boarding on 10/7 in Venice for 20 days! I can't wait! If you listen to the complainers, I would give up on travelling and stay home! Keep the AFT and go on the cruise!

Rhapsody was our first ever cruise, and because of the wonderful experience we had we are confirmed cruisers and just about to embark on our fifth cruise. Loved every minute, every experience. Cannot speak for the aft cabin experience we were starboard mid ship.

Hope you don't cancel, enjoy Rhapsody [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi I was on her last Aug and if you click on my name you will find a post in which I compare it with the only other 2 cruises I had been on and sort of do a mini review at the same time. I did not find the ship run down in any way, in fact I thought she was lovely and also had no problems with service using my drinks package- I did have issues on the ship but they were in the main due to a room change before cruising. The only things I felt lacking were the food in the MDR (but I eat gluten free so it was may be that the choices for me were not so good) and the entertainment in the main theater was quite poor - my daughter school shows have been far better lol and at the ship is dead by 12pm (at least in Europe - not a bad thing for us but may be for younger cruises)

What a spiteful post, though having looked through a number of your previous posts, with not a single useful contribution to be found, it does appear to be your speciality.

If you don't have anything remotely useful to contribute, then may I politely suggest that in future you keep your opinions to yourself. You don't know me, or indeed any of the posters on other threads that you have chosen to criticise. Thankfully there are many other people on this site who can make a helpful contribution for which I am grateful.

Stand by my previous post, if you don't get the answer you want move on....:rolleyes: