Anything I should know about having a balcony cabin?

IPlayWithString

Love, love, love our balcony's, pretty much addicted for all of the reasons already mentioned (we get port side Empress). The best is sitting on the balcony drinking coffee (make sure you order for 2 or 3 people on the order ticket so you get the carafe then you have a carafe to take up to lido and refill with coffee :D) with some pastries in your Carnival cozy robe and watching sunrise (awesome pictures).

Also, the naps, the quiet area for reading or just staring out to sea, watching ship dock and the ports come into view, our own little sail away party with a glass of wine before dinner, flying fish, dolphins, fresh air whenever, relaxing in our own space, no chair hogs, etc.....and don't get me started about OS, I digress....seriously once you do it you will not want anything else, its is so much a part of the overall experience....have a blast!!!!

I also don't really care for a balcony cabin because of inconsiderate neighbors who will slam the balcony door at all hours of the night especially if they are drunk and some will have sex on the balcony and the woman screaming and yelling, get the picture. Give me a quiet inside room and we save lots of $$$.

Wow .... we've been on 11 cruises - all with balconies and have never had the problems detailed above. (in fact I think DH has been hoping for some excitement like that LOL)

Seriously ....

DH has some mobility issues and spends a lot of time out on the balcony and finds it very enjoyable. We can't imagine cruising if we can't open the door and step out onto our balcony for some time with the wind and the sea.

If you want to join the balcony club you should know the bridge can see everything from the windows that stick out on the side, they have really strong binocs and use them all the time!

This is a common misconception. The crew on the bridge cannot see into the balconies. They can only see you if you're standing at the railing. To be able to look directly into each and every balcony along the sides is not possible, and would be an invasion of privacy. And, as someone else mentioned, the plexiglass is reflective in the daylight. Best to wait until after dark to sit out there in your birthday suit. :o Please don't leave your balcony lights on at night. They're terribly distracting for those that are star gazing. If you have music on, keep it low, or wear headphones. Your neighbors may not share your taste in music. Also, keep your conversations low, as you would in a library.

We love our balcony cabins, but they are addictive. ;) We rarely have a problem with loud or rude neighbors. We just got off the Triumph (10 days) and never smelled smoke or even heard any slamming doors. I love going out there and reading in the afternoons.

Love balcony rooms!

We always order room service for breakfast and eat on our balcony as we are at sea or coming into a port. We book the late dining option for the MDR and after getting back on ship from a day in port, we order a snack from room service (sandwich and something else that is lite) and have a glass of wine (my wife) and beer (me) and sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. We also like to sit out there and watch the sunset, before heading off to late dinner.

I also don't really care for a balcony cabin because of inconsiderate neighbors some will have sex on the balcony and the woman screaming and yelling, get the picture. Give me a quiet inside room and we save lots of $$$.

I love this part! This is when you go on your balcony and cheer them on Woo Hoo!!!! I find that after doing so, they quietly end the festivities and go inside! :D

This is a common misconception. The crew on the bridge cannot see into the balconies. They can only see you if you're standing at the railing. To be able to look directly into each and every balcony along the sides is not possible, and would be an invasion of privacy. And, as someone else mentioned, the plexiglass is reflective in the daylight. Best to wait until after dark to sit out there in your birthday suit. :o Please don't leave your balcony lights on at night. They're terribly distracting for those that are star gazing. If you have music on, keep it low, or wear headphones. Your neighbors may not share your taste in music. Also, keep your conversations low, as you would in a library.

Next time you are on a cruise, go to the far forward deck above the bridge. Stand at the side. Look aft. You most certainly WILL be able to see into many balconies along the ship.

We've had aft extended balcony, regular balcony, inside porthole and of course OV...honestly while we did enjoy time on our balcony in the mornings...rude folks in the cabin beside us with 900 kids yelling and screaming made it less than desirable for afternoon and evening. That coupled with the fact we are out doing things means that balconies are fine but we are happy with pretty much anything ;)

We love balconies, especially the aft ones, and have had them for many years. We broke away last year for various reasons but are back this year and so looking forward to it. Just the privacy of sitting to read or watch the water is wonderful. Never have had a problem with smoke. soot or too many slamming doors. I promise you they are addictive, enjoy.

I always wanted to use a bungee cord and hold my door open overnight to enjoy listening to the ocean. BUT, I read once in a post that if your ship is nearing a port it is possible that a bat could fly into your room. OMG. I don't know if it is true or not but I will NOT be taking any chances...:eek:

We're going to have our first balcony cabin on our upcoming Spring Break trip.

Anything special I need to know about balcony cabins?

It's a balcony. There are chairs and a table. Not sure what you think is special about it.

You will love it! Having access to outside space at any time is wonderful!

...and please don't be put off by replies that are negative and unhelpful....a quick search will show you that certain posters are just rude and mean spirited in most of their replies.

Edited by mcgratru

The best is sitting on the balcony drinking coffee (make sure you order for 2 or 3 people on the order ticket so you get the carafe then you have a carafe to take up to lido and refill with coffee :D) ..

Thanks for the tip about the carafe. I will definitely do this next cruise

love getting new ideas from cruise critic - I get coffee carafe in am, but never thought of taking it upstairs for more coffee - if you go and get 1 cup it is either cold or half empty by the time I get back to the balcony with it - will keep my carafe and refill- thanks!

Had a pigeon land on my balc in southern California - freaked me out, pooped on the furniture, but I did not open the door, so it did not get in!

Pray for quiet neighbors. DBF and I have been lucky to have quiet ones. So nice to hang out on the balcony and enjoy the water and sun when you want a break from all the activity.

When BFF and I had a balcony last year we had coffee each morning and that was pretty much it. There was a family of five (three little kids with parents) that were out on the balcony what seemed like all the time. Of course they are entitled to do what they want but it just wasn't as peaceful as the times before. Unfortunately it made us choose an OV this time as we spent so much time on Lido we didn't see the point of spending the extra $$ this time. But if it was me and DBF I'd probably make a different decision. :)

You will love it! Having access to outside space at any time is wonderful!

...and please don't be put off by replies that are negative and unhelpful....a quick search will show you that certain posters are just rude and mean spirited in most of their replies.

I just searched a certain poster and you are correct! Most of the replies are rude and unhelpful. Thanks for pointing out the search feature.

If you like yourr room "cooler" in the evening, be sure to pull your drapes shut during the day. If you leave them open the sun shines in and it can get warm. Hard to get it cooled for nighttime.

I'll remember that and take a chip clip to hold the drapes closed (we've done this in hotel rooms before). DH likes it to be colder than a friggin meat locker in any room he's in (not limited to hotel rooms and/or ship cabins..he does this at home too), even if it means I end up sleeping in a bathrobe (which I have done before). LOL

Oh man, balconies are wonderful! :D I've been lucky in that my first two cruises (1 done, 1 upcoming) have both been in balcony cabins. I'm already planning my third and having trouble NOT doing a balcony- but it's goign to be a significantly longer and more expensive trip so I need to save money SOMEWHERE on it....