Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Wow, we experienced a storm on the Pride a few years back off the coast of the Carolinas on our way back to Baltimore. Probably 1/10th the scale of this one and it was miserable.

Things crashing from shelves, halls pretty much impassible due to the listing of the ship. We stayed in our room the majority of the day simply because it was just too chaotic to actually enjoy anything anyhow. Neither of us got sick but it sure wasn't comfortable.

I feel for the passengers aboard, hopefully the rest of the trip is without incident.

So glad the ship pulled through this awful storm, and kept all of the passengers safe.

I would have been crying like a baby..:eek::o

Curious as to whether the cruise will continue, or end in Port Canaveral.

Snow day here in CT, so I will be watching her come in the webcam around noon.

Hope the cruise continues and everyone gets to enjoy the "GOOD" cruise...:D

This forum has gone from blaming the Capt to blaming God. Holy mother of Mary.

Anywho...seriously people you have nothing better to do but to literally bash and judge a mans job which most if not all of you have never ever held. I can't stand when people do this. I worked as a hostess for years in an upscale restaurant and had numerous people try to do my job better than I did. You don't see me walking into your office hanging over your shoulder and saying "NO NO, not that THIS!" How bout you put yourself in that man's shoes for a minute. Seas change literally by the minute (I have a former boyfriend who is a grad from the USCGA and holds a captains position there, not only that my Godfather was an Admiral in the USGA). That man had over 6,000 peoples lives in his hand and all you can do is blame him. Why don't we give him a pat on the back and say thank you so so much for what you could do considering the circumstances. Seriously the way some of you people are is worse than my old sorority days (and I'm 24).

Edited by meredithlaine

My parents are on board. They are in their mid 60s and don't really handle stressful situations well. I cant imagine what they are going through or how they're reacting. I booked this cruise for them for Christmas and I am freaking out. I feel responsible for the horror they went through and if anything happened to them...I don't know what I will do.

I live in Ireland, I know it's still early morning on the east coast but have there been any updates?

Thank you to everyone keeping us updated. And I'm praying for everyone's safety. I'm so worried.

I know you are very stressed about your parents. I would be too, but please don't feel responsible. You, obviously, had no way of knowing what would happen.

Thinking of you and your parents!

Edited to add: I just saw your message that you talked to your parents. I'm so glad they are doing well and that you are reassured. I'm sure you feel much better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by sctexan

As far as listing is concerned.....

I was on the NCL Escape a few weeks ago and attended the technical presentation/Q&A with the Captain and Chief Engineer; the CE stated the Escape could right itself from a 6o° list owing to the fact that the majority of the weight resided below the waterline.

The Escape and the Anthem of the Seas were built by Meyer Werft within 6 months of eachother from the same building hall. They are very similar in their structural engineering so I would estimate the handling of the Anthem to be almost identical to her cousin the Escape.

Well.... every ship afloat has a center of gravity at or below the waterline, otherwise they would roll over. I have no personal knowledge of the Escape's stability calculations, but I'm a bit leery of a claim of 60*.

It all boils down not only to where the center of gravity is, but where the center of buoyancy is as well, since the relationship between the two is what gives the ship the force to right itself.

Regardless of where the two ships were built, that does not give any assurance that the two ships have stability characteristics anywhere near each other, nor does it give any assurance that they are "similar in structural engineering". While both ships are built to meet SOLAS and the requirements of their respective classification societies with regards to stability and structural integrity, the approach used for each ship can be quite different.

Captain said it was his worst day at sea ever. I honestly thought the ship was going over when the curtains where almost parallel to the ceiling. To everyone saying it's not the captains fault. Who's fault is it? He chose our course and he knew there was a strong storm coming, granted stronger then forecasted but No money or time saved is worth gambling with our safety which is exactly what happen. We live and die by his choices no one else's is.

I will say his actions in the middle of the storm probably saved our Lives but we should have never been in the situation. Feeling shock up in every sense of the word

So, you've never been on a plane where the pilot has informed you on take off that he expects turbulence and a bumpy ride, then tells you that he has found smooth air at higher altitude, only to have the plane drop suddenly just as he has turned the seat belt sign off?

You've never had to drive in a winter storm, after getting storm warnings, and then found yourself in worse conditions in the middle of the Interstate?

Weather happens. If you don't like it, don't cruise anymore.

Captain was doing a great job of updating us as to the situation and has had Abe let us know/reassure us since this became more severe. I have nothing but admiration for the crew and staff of this ship.

Good to hear they are keeping you advised and that those onboard are assured of the quality of the captain/staff/crew in getting thur this. Our prayers are with you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW!!!!!:eek::eek:

That picture of the glass, underneath the railings, out on the deck is scary.

They are definitely going to have to get that fixed ASAP, before the ship moves on.

Geesh!!!!!

I feel horrible for everyone that had to endure those 12 hours of hell.

I don't know how I would have done. Not good.:o

So, you've never been on a plane where the pilot has informed you on take off that he expects turbulence and a bumpy ride, then tells you that he has found smooth air at higher altitude, only to have the plane drop suddenly just as he has turned the seat belt sign off?

You've never had to drive in a winter storm, after getting storm warnings, and then found yourself in worse conditions in the middle of the Interstate?

Well said. The last thing anyone should do is blame the captain. I'm no meteorologist, but looking at various pictures of the storm map, I don't know what else the captain could've done. Anthem was in the middle of the ocean, and she was going to get hit by the storm one way or another. In addition, the weather at Anthem's location was unpredictable, because things change so quickly. Sometimes there's no other option. The captain seems to have done a good job with handling the situation, and let's all be glad nothing worse came from this.

First report of day.

We made it and we're heading to Pt. Canaveral. Pretty much that's it.no ETAs or more status than that til next report in a few hours.

Weather channel says the temps in Miami are going to be a high of 48 & Canaveral is north of that. so even when we get Souther, we're not going to be much warmer.

Sigh.

Weather channel shows high of 66, mostly sunny, windy in Cape Canaveral today so not as cold as you were told. Hope you all can enjoy some sun!

Prayers to all on board. Wishing you all safe travels and return home.

I still think, even all crew and stuff doing the best under the circumstances, this storm was predicted with major winds - RC should have just canceled or postponed this sailing for the safety of over 5000 people on board.

As to the 45 degree listing, it was pretty close. Watched curtains for reference and they got close to 45 degrees more than once. Couch slid across the cabin and everything that wasn't secured was airborne. Luckily wireless stayed on and I was looking up specs on how far a ship can list before capsizing. Found a credible source that said they can handle a 60 degree list and recover which gave us a lot of comfort.

Just for perspective for those who have never experienced a listing ship...

We were in an aft suite on the HAL Noordam when we were hit by some freak winds that caused the ship to list 10-12 degrees. I couldn't easily walk across my cabin, and it was very disconcerting. It took about 30 minutes until the captain could correct the list by shifting ballast. Here's a picture that shows our balcony railing with the straight horizon. I can't even imagine a sudden 45 degree list!

The%20List%20%282%29-L.jpg

I'm thankful the Anthem passengers are OK and the ship is on its way to port!

WOW!!!!!:eek::eek:

That picture of the glass, underneath the railings, out on the deck is scary.

They are definitely going to have to get that fixed ASAP, before the ship moves on.

Geesh!!!!!

I feel horrible for everyone that had to endure those 12 hours of hell.

I don't know how I would have done. Not good.:o

Never mind.

Edited by KarinaGW

you monday morning quarterback's should stick to second guessing the panther's playcalling.

You have no idea what information the ship had on this system.

Believe it or not- some storms are unavoidable. Also, sometimes conditions change. Sometimes it is for the better, and sometimes they deteriorate. If they were given information about the storm and it predicted 50 knot winds and they intensified, that is not the fault of the captain.

Sure- you may be d+members or whatever but you're not a master mariner with years at sea nor do you have the same information they had.

Before you call for the captain to walk the plank perhaps you should know all the facts.

The eye of the beholder....such an interesting concept.

Edited by BecciBoo

Well said!