Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

So, you've never been on a plane where the pilot has informed you on take off that he expects turbulence and a bumpy ride, then tells you that he has found smooth air at higher altitude, only to have the plane drop suddenly just as he has turned the seat belt sign off?

You've never had to drive in a winter storm, after getting storm warnings, and then found yourself in worse conditions in the middle of the Interstate?

Weather happens. If you don't like it, don't cruise anymore.

No because I am not an idiot who drives in bad weather

We are on the Anthem as well. Yes, it was pretty awesome last night but I never felt worried. We were also on the "hurricane Sandy" Cruise on the explorer which I actually think was worse. A lot of people were hurt then, broken limbs etc. The captain was very proactive last night in letting everyone know what was going on. He said they were in constant contact with the Coast Guard and with Miami and letting them know how things were aboard.

Walking around the ship this morning you could see the evidence… Some broken chairs and things on the pool deck, books off the shelves in the library etc. there also appeared to be a ceiling collapse in one of the passageways. Since most of us missed dinner last night because we were in our cabins, they came around and offered us snacks and fruit. I have absolutely no complaints about how things were handled last night. Be sure, it certainly could have been a lot worse but we all made it out OK.

For what it's worth, it looks pretty obvious that some of the pictures of furniture being "tossed around" are actually showing safety procedures implemented by the crew. It seems only good practice to lay down items that could slide in such a way that they are less likely to move or be damaged.

It's apparent from their orientation, that items in these pictures are placed together to lock them in place as much as possible. It's interesting these are always put out as evidence of mayhem from the storm rather than preventative measures. Some ceiling tiles and flower pots being damaged are another matter, but hardly surprising in the situation.

https://www.schiffe-und-kreuzfahrten.de/royal-caribbean/anthem-of-the-seas-in-schweren-sturm-geraten/84856/

Edited by Jimbo from NC

I feel so sorry for everyone on that ship, Captain and crew included! Weather definitely "happens" but I don't think it's unfair to wonder why the ship was directly in the middle of such a storm....I'm sure they have answers, and people onboard should be given those.

Were the reports of two heart attacks, true? When you're dealing with people's lives, you have to be prepared to provide answers. Not crazy for people to be questioning what happened, IMO.

I hope everyone is okay.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

Couple of items..

Regardless of cosmetic or not, there will need to be a full inspection of the ship when docked, as well as engineering tests, etc, water tests, etc. I saw what looked like damaged guard rails, for example. This will affect the itinerary in some way. Elevators will need to be checked before reuse as well.

There's also going to be an extended cleanup in the galley and food storage areas, all food will need to be evaluated and probably some replaced.

If I had to guess, I would assume that RC will allow people to debark in Canaveral, regardless and get them back to NJ. Those wishing to stay on may be permitted to unless they find something significant. (Again, guessing only)

As far as the weather, I pulled a weather forecast from a paid service I can't repost legally, so feel free to take this as you want, but based on that, at the time the route would be set, it looks like projected winds along the course they ended up taking were to be around 30-40 mph with gusts to 75-90 and these would extend fairly far out to sea and was slightly worse out. There is nothing in the forecast that indicates what they got. Now, I have no idea what info the captain and the line had, but based only on the information I have seen my guess is when they left they thought they had manageable seas to deal with, and they didn't get what's expected. The example given above of airline turbulence is a great parallel.

I'm certain it was terrifying for many people on board (and some people thought it was fun - humans are funny like that), but the reality is that unless we find something else out during the day, the ship weathered pretty much a direct hit from a mid sized hurricane with what appears to be little if any structural damage, which is actually pretty reassuring, probable epic pile of barf bags aside.

Two other notes -

Emergency lighting can be manually triggered, goes on automatically in certain conditions (not sure what RCCL uses but would suspect mass watertight doors closing would be one), and in the event of power failures. All of these are possible given the circumstances.

The one photo of chairs and tables - That may have been deliberate to avoid them moving as much, its standard protocol to keep things from sliding. Note that the bar bottles are still there and haven't moved.

Chris rock once asked "what do you want..a cookie?" to fathers who bragged that they were involved in their kids lives. in other words, isn't it sort of expected of you? Sad to see the trolling here, but to those who didnt engage in hostilities and offered support to scared people on a boat, have a cookie.

I can easily believe 15 degrees. But I do not believe 45 degrees.

15 Degrees

dbfef857-d92e-4009-b66e-2e4cdd922d9b_zps10d26239.jpg

40 Degrees

19btge4e5at3yjpg.jpg

CassList2.jpg

I posted this on another thread, but I think it's a good example so I'm posting it here too. This is a 10-12 degree list, and it shows the angle of my balcony railing with the horizon in the background:

The%20List%20%282%29-L.jpg

Update from ship: people are up and walking around, calm. Food venues not fully up and running. Pissed off people, understanding that we have been living off Pringles & m&m's for the past 24 hours almost. A lot of people have entitlement issues, it's actually really not that bad as some people make it seem. I was told the windjammer is up and running, but it's a mob of people right now and that the crew actually shut off elevators to that floor. Still waiting on official update. Guest services looks packed full of people.

I posted this on another thread, but I think it's a good example so I'm posting it here too. This is a 10-12 degree list, and it shows the angle of my balcony railing with the horizon in the background:

Nice post. It put some perspective on the claims.

Interesting photo Cindy!

Here is another I have found of a 20 degree list. I can certainly see how on the higher decks of cruise ships this would feel much more substantial.

Alt_Rena%20Port%20Side%200740%202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the comments there from all the Maritime experts... this is surely how SOME of the passengers will be communicating the incident with their lawyers.

For those that will undoubtedly be looking for a payday at the end of all of this, do everyone else a favor and stay home next time.

Sorry if people are going to send prayers and thank god...they need to accept that their god deserves blame for putting people in harm's way through his work.

Let me know when and with whom you sail with so I will head on to where you will not be.God or nature...all is well! Blame is unecessary and unproductive:rolleyes:

I'm sitting on the floor of my cabin, wishing every positive thought I have toward the captain and his crew! My husband is keeping me calm.

The announcements over the PA from the beginning told us this could last 5-6 hours. The captain has us basically staying in one place, continually rotating to try to best position against the wind. Riding out the storm. If you watch the ship map on the TV, you can see the angle of the wind hitting us at up to about 145 knots at the worst we've seen it display. It's so ominous, yet so hard to look away...

Captain is on the PA now, saying things have improved and there barometic pressure is increasing, so hoping we will be through this within a few hours. Says he is in contact with the Miami office and coast guard. I'm sure staying put is the absolute safest choice they all agree on.

The huge rocking of the ship at 3:30 or 4 or so started quite unexpectedly. I happened to be midway into the bathroom at the exact wrong time and had to grab the doorframe to catch myself. Fingers got slammed when the door swung shut hard on its own. I don't think they're broken, just bruised, but I would rather have ten broken fingers and still have my lfe, so this an extraordinarily small complaint in the grand scheme of things. When we get through this, I will gladly shake the captain's hand, bruised fingers or not!

(Sorry this was so long.)

You're a trooper! Hope you're okay and all of your fingers are feeling better!