Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

It was my post, it's about a 20 x 20 foot section of suspended ceiling, I have photos and video on my cell. Ceiling is hanging touching floor, wires and duct work hanging.

How are you getting the pictures? I thought for your safety, you are supposed to stay in your cabin. Just remember if something falls and hits you on the head, it's your own fault, not RCI they warned you.

Cruiselou, your position looks like good news to me. By these coordinates, the ship has made it south to a point somewhere east of Charleston SC, which is now south of the worst of the storm. The storm will almost surely move away from you for the rest of the night. This will cause the wind to slowly diminish and the seas to do the same. Congratulations for being brave and making it through the roughest portion. By lunchtime you may be seeing some sunshine. That could happen sooner if the Captain is able to make headway even further south overnight.

Edited by bob4uall

So I have a stupid question. Now keep in mind - I haven't been on a cruise yet. Going in April for the first time.

But my question is if the passengers are to stay in their rooms - how are they eating?

Prayers everyone is okay!!

I am on the ship. Eating at the minibar, small can of Pringles, some candy, beer and soda. Water of course.

Yeah... but look closer at that photo. See those green lights along the floor? Do you know what those are? What do those lights tell you about the state of ship?

That perhaps the ceiling collapse false triggered a smoke detector or sprinkler head and without doubt triggered a (likely automated) zone based safety lighting reaction?

If there was truly anything life threatening going on we'd be witnessing a flurry of posts from people onboard about being mustered. Instead, they've been given one last update with mention as to improving conditions, backed up by comments from passengers here in this thread saying things are settling down, and told they won't be disturbed for the rest of the night so that they can try to get some sleep.

Yeah... but look closer at that photo. See those green lights along the floor? Do you know what those are? What do those lights tell you about the state of ship?

That is the emergency lighting. It was always on in the hallways.

Thank you for saying this. I'm also onboard presently, I've been doing a live report since my trip started in the Countdown to Quantum Class forum if anyone would like to verify.

So can you tell us.... are you still confined to your cabins?? has more food been brought around? are people in the halls helping calm others? or just staying completely in cabins. Hopefully you can try to get some sleep. But I think I would have to sit up awake all night making sure things keep improving.

Maybe the bigger question is why are we sailing out of the north in the winter?? Start everyone in FL, TX or PR and avoid the winter storms altogether.

We've done all but 1 of our cruises out of the north.

When you live in the north and can avoid $1500 worth of airfare driving to your port vs flying a family of 4 there, you'd understand why cruise lines are having no problems filling ships in the north.

What do you mean ? Are there no life jackets in the cabins ?

No life jackets in the cabins. Beginning with the Oasis class all life jackets are stored in closets near the life boat stations to save space in passenger cabins. Passenger cabins are getting smaller (so as to add more cabins). We've all seen RC adding more cabins on new ships and adding more cabins on older ships during renovations.

So can you tell us.... are you still confined to your cabins?? has more food been brought around? are people in the halls helping calm others? or just staying completely in cabins. Hopefully you can try to get some sleep. But I think I would have to sit up awake all night making sure things keep improving.

We are still confined to our cabins. We never even got an initial offering of food being brought around (though it sounds like others did have food offered) - just what we have in our minibar (which was offered for free). The movements are still present but much less severe than they were around 5pm; the movements are very similar to regular airplane turbulence. We've been told to sleep but I'm not sure we will.

Edited by bedazzler

Cruiselou there are several posters on these threads on the ship with you. Most of them seem very levelheaded right now and pretty calm sounding given the circumstances.

I think you should take a lot of comfort from those posts, knowing they are on the ship with you.

Don't worry, you will all be fine and have quite a story to tell. I am sorry you are going through this. Hang in there, you will be okay[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

QM2 passenger capacity, 2620.

AOTS passenger capacity, 4180.

Need I say more?

Ocean liners are built differently, absolutely, but the tradeoff of a nice narrow cutter style hull is passenger capacity. In the traditional routes most cruise ships (NOT liners) travel, that tradeoff is not justified.

So what ship have either of you two been in charge of that you seem to know the captain is wrong? Unless you are in his shoes, you really cannot know what he should/shouldn't have done....

Of course people are going to question it. Look at what the passengers just went through. Bottom line is RC is a business. Whether the captain "thought" the storm was going to be bad or not, RC in conjunction with the captain, are still responsible. People could have been seriously injured or worse. They gambled with their lives.

That perhaps the ceiling collapse false triggered a smoke detector or sprinkler head and without doubt triggered a (likely automated) zone based safety lighting reaction?

If there was truly anything life threatening going on we'd be witnessing a flurry of posts from people onboard about being mustered. Instead, they've been given one last update with mention as to improving conditions, backed up by comments from passengers here in this thread saying things are settling down, and told they won't be disturbed for the rest of the night so that they can try to get some sleep.

So yes. The emergency lights are on because the ship is (was) in a state of emergency.

Zone based safety lighting reaction? Seriously? What a load.

So yes. The emergency lights are on because the ship is (was) in a state of emergency.

I thought I saw the emergency floor lights on all the time, in the cabin hallways, when I was on Anthem two weeks ago.

No, they said disembarking and "ship is too damaged to continue", but no one else has confirmed that.

Yes, just my opinion walking around the ship. I was on a 16,000 ton ship in the 1992 hurricane that hit Hawaii and this was far worse.

The safety lights have been on since 3:00 when we headed up to our cabin after our show was cancelled. I'm sure it's just a precaution and it's easy to do.

Various reasons. I thought it was extremely cheap of them to only gave us a small shipboard credit for one night lost - we paid more for that one night than the credit. Not to mention the enormous itinerary change and the decisions they made around that. Also because of Jonas, the supplies were missed and they had to pick up supplies at other ports so when we ate at Chops, a paid restaurant, they served us sub par steaks and wheat bread (this was towards the end of the cruise so they probably were running low on supplies). My last 2 nights I tried ordering salads at Silk and the vegetables were old and slimey.

I love cruises and we are diamond members with RC, also we were on the Quantum last year and have always had wonderful expiriences, however this particular trip it felt like they really cheaped out.

Seriously?! These are the "corners they cut" that cause you to believe the captain knowingly put the lives of thousands of people at risk?

Are you for real?

Edited by Fydlstyx
Autocorrect error

The safety lights have been on since 3:00 when we headed up to our cabin after our show was cancelled. I'm sure it's just a precaution and it's easy to do.

Apparently tripto is suggesting it means the bow is already underwater or something. :rolleyes:

Turning on emergency lighting as a precaution, be it in one zone (and if you don't think a ship is zoned, trust me, it's not me who doesn't know what they're talking about) is hardly an indication of impending disaster.

But keep fearmongering, it's very helpful!

I thought I saw the emergency floor lights on all the time, in the cabin hallways, when I was on Anthem two weeks ago.

There might have been a drill then. They will also be turned on when doing exercises (which may not be apparent to passengers).

I can't get my head around this , it's too stupid for words . Just totally unsafe practice .

think of it in these terms though, if you were at sea, most people are not in their cabins, under no conditions do they want you or hundreds of others going back to the cabins to get their life jackets. I do understand the concern though, I was surprised as well to hear this!

Just an update on the current situation on board. The winds are at this time 80 kts. It's still a pretty bumpy ride and I'm still not feeling completely safe, yet so much better than earlier this evening. The captain stated around 10 pm that he will update next at 08:00 in the morning as long as conditions keep improving.

Thanks for everyone's prayers and concern.

I am on the ship and it has been an uncomfortable ride today for sure. But folks, nobody onboard has any answers, and neither does anybody not onboard. It is way too early to hang or crucify anyone, and the most important thing is that all 5,000+ of us make it through safely.

What an absolutely ridiculous time to be talking about who's at fault...

Well said. Keep safe.