Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

So, the last update for the night (barring any negative turn of events) said that the seas had not subsided significantly, but that the barometer was continuing to rise very slowly.he anticipates being able to move the ship sometime after 1am. Since things seem to be still heading in a positive-ish direction, he will stay off the P.A. for the rest of the night so we can rest as best we can. Should another announcement come before morning, I will post it here.

Any general announcement confirming the post by another that the ship is too damaged to continue and you will all be disembarked tomorrow?

Wait what?? There aren't vests in your closet? I have not sailed RCCL but have Celebrity, Princess, NCL and a line in the Mediterranean and sell had our vests in the closet in our room.

This is the first ship for me, as well. I hadnt really noticed it and then went to find them once we had been confined here. This does not thrill me in a general way now that it looks like they won't be needed for this specific event.

Figured as much considering what that poster has stated, especially on the other thread he/she started and said you experienced a 45 degree list. I called BS on that one.

Same as the waves reaching above their balcony rails on deck 7 and 8. It's a matter of perspective, of where you are looking from and if the ship happens to be leaning one way or the other at that time too. I don't think people really have an idea of what 45 degrees feels like. Most people think an airplane takes off at that angle or more.

No, they said disembarking and "ship is too damaged to continue", but no one else has confirmed that.

Based on subsequent comments regarding ship wide announcements and the contents of such...I think that was purely an assumption, or an effort at trolling the conversation.

Nothing more.

I may be naïve, but I find it hard to believe Royal and the Captain would knowingly put the ship and its passengers in harms way! With all the technology they have, and other sources such as the Coast Guard, I have to believe the storm suddenly shifted (like our lake effect storms have been known to do). I hope the damage is minor and everyone can begin to enjoy their vacation. I know I'll be better prepared for our trip in March!

Please, yes RC and the Captain didn't expect the storm to be this bad but they knew we would be going through a bad storm (warned us during the life boat drill yesterday) and they gambled with our lives. As you point out they are very experienced (this is their newest ship so most likely their most experienced captain) surely they know how storms off the east coast can be very unpredictable and severe with the ability to intensify quickly and they chose to try to out run it, period. Do you remember what happened to the El Fargo? Enough said...

Edited by Jjohnb

I think the only people who suck at their jobs and never get fired are weathermen. Like I said in an earlier post, whatever the Captain was looking at he clearly thought he had favorable conditions. Growing up off the coast of Maine, I know how badly these storms can take a quick turn for the worst.

Cruising is our favorite vacation so I can't imagine what the first time cruisers on this ship are thinking. I thought the swells left over from Erika on our honeymoon were bad...couldn't imagine being in a balcony cabin in this type of weather period.

As far as RCI's response....again I'll say it will be interesting. If the stories are true and the scope of the damage is as bad as people have said it is...it won't be long until the bloodsucking lawyers come out to play....

Wait what?? There aren't vests in your closet? I have not sailed RCCL but have Celebrity, Princess, NCL and a line in the Mediterranean and sell had our vests in the closet in our room.

I was just on NCL Breakaway in October, no life jackets in your room there either. They are at the muster station as well as in lockers by the life boats.

Interesting... 11:15PM and I googled "Anthem of the Seas."

No news stories whatsoever.

I did too. I was surprised that someone onboard hadn't contacted a news station yet. Or better yet, our favorite ambulance chasing "cruise lawyer".:rolleyes:

Any general announcement confirming the post by another that the ship is too damaged to continue and you will all be disembarked tomorrow?

Nope. Nothing like that in any way shape or form. Nor have their been any announcements about any damages or injuries. Just updating ship's position relative to the wind and that we would make for Pt. Canaveral as soon as it became safe to do so.

As much as l am dubious about some of what he's pposted, in this instance he is correct. I was fairly appalled to read on the back of my door that my life jacket is at my muster station which is inside a room with a wall of glass.

Well that's no use to anyone , unless that wall has been opened by crew member . So , in the event of an emergency , can you imagine the hysteria around that wall of glass as everyone clamours to get their life jacket out of storage . A shockingly stupid move by RC . .

I did too. I was surprised that someone onboard hadn't contacted a news station yet. Or better yet, our favorite ambulance chasing "cruise lawyer".:rolleyes:

I'm sure the latter will be a great headline. :rolleyes:

I think the only people who suck at their jobs and never get fired are weathermen. Like I said in an earlier post, whatever the Captain was looking at he clearly thought he had favorable conditions. Growing up off the coast of Maine, I know how badly these storms can take a quick turn for the worst.

Cruising is our favorite vacation so I can't imagine what the first time cruisers on this ship are thinking. I thought the swells left over from Erika on our honeymoon were bad...couldn't imagine being in a balcony cabin in this type of weather period.

As far as RCI's response....again I'll say it will be interesting. If the stories are true and the scope of the damage is as bad as people have said it is...it won't be long until the bloodsucking lawyers come out to play....

I had to create an account to reply to this comment. I'm a meteorologist, and this storm is developing exactly as forecast. For anyone defending RC, they are uninformed. For the last two days there has been a Hurricane Force Wind Warning posted in the area the ship was planned to sail. Failure to respect this forecast falls directly on RC if lives are lost. With my first post / rant complete I want to send out prayers and my thoughts to those on board. Things should start to improve shortly as the low pressure system tracks northeast away from the ships location.

Edited by Joey10sl

Various reasons. I thought it was extremely cheap of them to only gave us a small shipboard credit for one night lost - we paid more for that one night than the credit. Not to mention the enormous itinerary change and the decisions they made around that. Also because of Jonas, the supplies were missed and they had to pick up supplies at other ports so when we ate at Chops, a paid restaurant, they served us sub par steaks and wheat bread (this was towards the end of the cruise so they probably were running low on supplies). My last 2 nights I tried ordering salads at Silk and the vegetables were old and slimey.

I love cruises and we are diamond members with RC, also we were on the Quantum last year and have always had wonderful expiriences, however this particular trip it felt like they really cheaped out.

One night lost because of weather delays should be reimbursed by your insurance.

I was just on NCL Breakaway in October, no life jackets in your room there either. They are at the muster station as well as in lockers by the life boats.

I was on Breakaway last month and the life jackets were in the rooms as well as at the muster stations and the lockers.

Obviously a bad storm for everyone but did the Capt say almost a 45 degree list? I find that hard to believe, the ship would have been completely on it's side at 45 degrees. Even a 25 degree list would be very substantial on a cruise ship..

That said prayers for everyone's safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The captain did not say anything about any listing at all. Nor has he mentioned anything about damages or injuries in his hourly announcements. The other thread mentioned in the second post of this one is probably a better place to go for actual information.

Please, yes RC and the Captain didn't expect the storm to be this bad but they knew we would be going through a bad storm (warned us during the life boat drill yesterday) and they gambled with our lives. As you point out they are very experienced (this is their newest ship so most likely their most experienced captain) surely they know how storms off the east coast can be very unpredictable and severe with the ability to intensify quickly and they chose to try to out run it, period. Do you remember what happened to the El Fargo? Enough said...

Not to mention, expirienced captains aren't right 100% of the time, they can make mistakes too. And if they're being pressured by RC, they could potentially be taking gambles with the weather that they wouldn't normally take if it wasn't their employer. They lose an extreme amount of money when one of these cruises doesn't go as planned and don't want bad press from any more delays, which could be why he went right through it.

This is the first ship for me, as well. I hadnt really noticed it and then went to find them once we had been confined here. This does not thrill me in a general way now that it looks like they won't be needed for this specific event.

Karina....thanks for your live posts. Stay safe.

Kathy

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

So, you know meteorology better than the captain, and his years of experience?

As an aviator for 40+ years, I know weather / meteorology, and how quickly things can change. In a 200 knot plane, I can get out of the way quicker than in a 22.5 knot cruise ship.

My feeling is that what was "brewing" became far worse than expected, and he could not get out of the way. No captain in their right mind would knowingly sail into this mess.

You're right Lou, he thought he could out run it and he lost that bet. So I guess years of experience can't provide either you or the captain with good judgement, you either have it or you don't. Please tell me what airline you fly for so I can avoid it!

Edited by Jjohnb

I was on Breakaway last month and the life jackets were in the rooms as well as at the muster stations and the lockers.

Not in my room.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly. I was in a studio. If it was there, no clue where.

Edited by Tura Lura