Anthem storm experience

navybankerteacher

Interesting posts on the RC Anthem thread - news reports of very generous compensation from the line: full refund plus 50% off on next booking -- indicate that RC wants to put the problem behind them. Of course, the captain is always responsible for the safety of passengers and the ship, but only time will tell whether he had access to reliable reports of weather conditions.

A few hours away and that big thread on the RCI board is way beyond trying to catch up on. I followed a long a bit last night. So many arm chair cruise ship captains on there. Really, the suggestion to have gone out in front and around the storm was ridiculous. What, they were supposed to sail 1000 miles northeast and hope to get around a storm that was moving northeast? My suspicion was the captain, in consultation with others, looked at the forecast, and while not ideal, figured with the storm going northeast, to try to skirt inside on the west side, and when the storm moved, as they are well known to do, they were stuck in it with no where really to go. Reports are that the captain announced at the muster drill it would be a rough ride heading south, so he did know it was a risky routing. But the other choice was to sit in New Jersey and wait for the storm to pass. Yes, I'm sure that would have gone over well, even with those who claim that's what should have happened given their perfect 20/20 hindsight. What kind of cruise would it have been if it had started a couple days later? No one would have been happy, or thought about the fact they were safe.

...so he did know it was a risky routing. But the other choice was to sit in New Jersey and wait for the storm to pass. Yes, I'm sure that would have gone over well, even with those who claim that's what should have happened given their perfect 20/20 hindsight. What kind of cruise would it have been if it had started a couple days later? No one would have been happy, or thought about the fact they were safe.

So even if conditions are dangerous, and it's not feasible to just "go around" the danger, a ship should still take off so people won't be unhappy?

Yeah, makes sense. 😕

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So even if conditions are dangerous, and it's not feasible to just "go around" the danger, a ship should still take off so people won't be unhappy?

Yeah, makes sense. 😕

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No, not what I said. Go and watch the video that was posted of the captain explaining what happened. Information at the time was the storm wasn't going to be anything like it turned into (despite what all the weathermen who are now popping up on that other thread say). No ship would ever sail from the northeast if they stayed in port every time there was a low pressure system off the coast.

I predict this captain will never be placed in command of a ship again. Poor judgment and incompetence has no place on a ship at sea. The Cape Hatteras area is generally in heavy sea conditions because the cold North Atlantic water meets the warm Gulfstream head on. Any additional turbulence magnifies these conditions.

I predict this captain will never be placed in command of a ship again. Poor judgment and incompetence has no place on a ship at sea. The Cape Hatteras area is generally in heavy sea conditions because the cold North Atlantic water meets the warm Gulfstream head on. Any additional turbulence magnifies these conditions.

And again, for those who haven't seen my response to your similar post on this other thread, see posts #12 & #13.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313074

I do not foresee any censure of the Captain at all, from the company, from the flag state, or from the country of his license, which are the only jurisdictions he has to worry about. I am speaking from my 40 years as a licensed marine engineer, and 30 years as Chief Engineer.

Watching Fox News right now, they are interviewing a

passenger and his daughter by the name Sam Lairson, and

Gabriella. They seem very calm on the interview.

Good to see that. Can't wait to see what everyone on this cruise

have to say. I know it's not easy to stay calm in those

circumstances.

And again, for those who haven't seen my response to your similar post on this other thread, see posts #12 & #13.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313074

I do not foresee any censure of the Captain at all, from the company, from the flag state, or from the country of his license, which are the only jurisdictions he has to worry about. I am speaking from my 40 years as a licensed marine engineer, and 30 years as Chief Engineer.

THANK YOU for this post. I had not seen the previous ones you reference.

I am only speculating, predicted upon loads of conversations with many Captains, Staff Captains, Chief Engineers through the years.....

The Captain did not make some of the choices without consultation with home office and a number of well experienced professionals. Yes, Captain has ultimate responsibility but with the communications available in today's world, he did not make the choices without consultation with others.

I am grateful to know though the ship was damaged she withstood the storm and sailed 'safely' into port. I am not aware the extent of injuries but have not heard of any loss of life.

Captain did 'good'. He brought everyone home.

Edited by sail7seas

i predict this captain will never be placed in command of a ship again. Poor judgment and incompetence has no place on a ship at sea. The cape hatteras area is generally in heavy sea conditions because the cold north atlantic water meets the warm gulfstream head on. Any additional turbulence magnifies these conditions.

i hope you are correct. With the rank and glory come the responsibilities. They go hand in hand.he messed up bigtime!

thank you for this post. I had not seen the previous ones you reference.

I am only speculating, predicted upon loads of conversations with many captains, staff captains, chief engineers through the years.....

The captain did not make some of the choices without consultation with home office and a number of well experienced professionals. Yes, captain has ultimate responsibility but with the communications available in today's world, he did not make the choices without consultation with others.

I am grateful to know though the ship was damaged she withstood the storm and sailed 'safely' into port. I am not aware the extent of injuries but have not heard of any loss of life.

Captain did 'good'. He brought everyone home.

an engineer isnt the top guy. He is and should furnish the a-s for this.

Interesting posts on the RC Anthem thread - news reports of very generous compensation from the line: full refund plus 50% off on next booking -- indicate that RC wants to put the problem behind them. Of course, the captain is always responsible for the safety of passengers and the ship, but only time will tell whether he had access to reliable reports of weather conditions.

More than generous and I'm sure there will be some trying to argue for more. Having been through more than one major storm in the Navy I know it's unpleasant but that is the risk one takes when heading out to sea.

A one man board of inquiry - wasting no time in letting the ship return to port, hearing from witnesses, or even pausing to think.

Chief Engineer is not the Captain of the ship, certainly. However, many/most of them have Master's License and have full ability to take over the ship from the engine room.

First I learned of that was the Maersk Alabama incident. Chief Engineer is a very important job on a ship and wears four stripes.

Never said I was. I have, however, dealt with Captains, shipping companies, and various maritime regulatory bodies for 40 years. This is what I base my analysis on. I gather from your insistent claims that the Captain "screwed up" and "should be fired" that you also have extensive experience in the maritime industry?

Chief Engineer is not the Captain of the ship, certainly. However, many/most of them have Master's License and have full ability to take over the ship from the engine room.

First I learned of that was the Maersk Alabama incident. Chief Engineer is a very important job on a ship and wears four stripes.

Actually, no. Almost no Chief Engineers have Master's licenses, as the fields of knowledge and courses of study are vastly different, and require a vast amount of time both in school and at sea.

While the Chief Engineer, or any engineer for that matter, may take control of the propulsion engine, this is a safety concern, since the engineers can see if something is going wrong with the engines while the Master/Mate on the bridge cannot. We cannot "conn" the ship from the engine room, since in most cases there are no windows. :D If things fail, we can steer and run the engines from the engine room, based on orders via phone from the bridge.

Don't believe everything in the movie "Captain Phillips", it's Hollywood. I know a lot of the people involved.

I have been hearing way too much that this was the captains fault. Do any of you really believe that the captain makes the decisions on what route to take? Maybe in a last minute decision to miss something in the water, yes. When a storm is in the path of a ship, the decisions are made from the men sitting at headquarters. A captain is not going to be allowed to make the decision to put 6000 people and a 1 billion dollar ship at risk. The people paying the bills will always make these decisions. The captain is the boss until a major decision needs to be made.

I have been hearing way too much that this was the captains fault. Do any of you really believe that the captain makes the decisions on what route to take? Maybe in a last minute decision to miss something in the water, yes. When a storm is in the path of a ship, the decisions are made from the men sitting at headquarters. A captain is not going to be allowed to make the decision to put 6000 people and a 1 billion dollar ship at risk. The people paying the bills will always make these decisions. The captain is the boss until a major decision needs to be made.

How very wrong.

Really??? If you think for one second that the Captain himself acted alone and decided the route to take with this storm, than you my friend are misinformed. I realize that you have worked on ships and that your boss when at sea is the Captain, but he will never ever make these decisions on his own. He will do as he is instructed from his boss or will be set off at the next port. This is not that hard to understand that the people paying the bills will make the major decisions. The crew on a ship will probably never know this, order and command needs to appear to remain with Captain as he is the one who will actually be getting the ship through any actual problems.