Urgent upgrade question - need to decide asap

Cassicruiser

First time in 5 cruises I've been offered an upgrade - but don't know what to do! I have a great balcony cabin that we got on a balcony guarantee - 8261 right on the hump unobstructed, and by the lifts. I have been offered a complimentary upgrade to Aquaclass in cabin 1553 or 1549. Looking at reviews there is a large balcony overhang so no sun on balcony (pro or con I'm not sure), and is also under the pool deck. What to do?? We get the aquaclass amenities - Blu, Persian gardens etc, but am not sure if the location is worse. Would appreciate input and help from lovely CC people. I need to let them know in the next hour or so...

Edited by Cassicruiser

First time in 5 cruises I've been offered an upgrade - but don't know what to do! I have a great balcony cabin that we got on a balcony guarantee - 8261 right on the hump unobstructed, and by the lifts. I have been offered a complimentary upgrade to Aquaclass in cabin 1553 or 1549. Looking at reviews there is a large balcony overhang so no sun on balcony (pro or con I'm not sure), and is also under the pool deck. What to do?? We get the aquaclass amenities - Blu, Persian gardens etc, but am not sure if the location is worse. Would appreciate input and help from lovely CC people. I need to let them know in the next hour or so...

Caribbean itinerary? Which Ship?

Sorry - in my haste I didn't say! Solstice, South Pacific.

1549 is a Hump cabin with larger balcony & convenient to aft elevators if you want to try AQ...this is your opportunity. I like Persian Gardens for zen like relaxation. Dining in Blu is a smaller space....if the size of the MDR bothers you. There are additional perks with AQ: showers, flowers, etc.

If it is a free upgrade....I would do it.:) Have sailed on Solstice & Eclipse in both AQ and A1 balcony. We liked Blu....but cabin location is a factor for us. You do get ottomans with your deck chairs! Cabin interior size is identical to what you booked.

Best wishes on your cruise!

Edited by lobster129

It would be tempting because I don't require sun on the balcony, but it is nice to have sun for a bit o the day. Those hump cabins are nice but the ones we've had also had an extended overhang. If that were the case with yours, I'd go for the Aqua. But if there is no overhang and you don't care about Blu (it's OK but not great for my taste) then I'd hump my way across the Pacific. Hope this makes sense

Blu sounds nice, but I really like the main dining room actually.

I am not a fan of saunas and steam rooms, and apparently both the Aqua cabins we've been offered have a large overhang and one has window washing equipment so thats a no no. I think I seem to be making a decision to 'hump' my way through the cruise as you say Bosox :p I feel silly saying no to an upgrade, but maybe location is more important....

from C3 to AQ 2 years ago & LOVED it.

Last year we upgraded to a Sweet Sixteen balcony, which is larger, but we won't do that again. Covered AND the people above you are under the same overhang but recessed...kinda weird. Plus pooled water on the balcony so we rarely used it.

Parents had aft FV last year & HUGE balcony half covered & half open (which I LOVED)

I asked DH if we could score an upgrade would he prefer the FV/aft or AQ. He said AQ, no brainer (and this is a guy who would eat bar food every night--but he loved Blu!)

If it were a free upgrade and you have never been in AQ I would definitely give it a try. You will experience some noise from the pool area above, and if you are on the port side (did not check your room locations) then you may have some smoke drifting onto your balcony at times. But most people really like Blu (we particularly like the breakfasts), and the S class spa is very nice. If there were a price? We would pay a little more because of Blu but not a lot.

We have been in 1547 on the Eclipse. No real noise from above - Aqua spa cafe is there. We found the overhang caught a lot of the sun. And 1549 is further in although balcony is larger than standard we probably wouldn't book it again due to overhang.

Positives, quiet room, near forward lifts + big balcony. Negative didn't get a lot of sun. Early morning if late afternoon.

rIMHO as a lover of balconies, a balcony on the flat of the hump on an S-class is the best non-suite cabin on the ship. If you don't care for saunas/steam rooms then you are unlikely to use PG. Blu is a consideration, but if you've enjoyed the MDR in the past, there are few remaining differences between AQ and a great balcony cabin.

One caveat: as you are on the Solstice, make sure your flat of the hump balcony does not have the "X" over the glass - this is a major detractor if so and enough to make the switch definitely worth it.

Also, don't be confused by references to "sweet 16" etc as those are for M-class ships.

Edited by Philomath

Thanks so much for all your replies. I also checked cabin reviews and found that 1549 has the window washing equipment smack bang in front of it, and 1553 has it in line of sight as well as a large overhang. Some people love Blu and some people don't, and as I love the main dining room, we would probably want to eat there at least some of the time. The large balcony sounds nice but as Philomath says, you can't go past a balcony on the flat of the hump with no obstruction (and I checked, our cabin is a couple of cabins before the X over the glass.)

So I made a decision based on all that and have decided to stick with our original cabin. I booked this as a balcony guarantee and was so thrilled to get a fully unobstructed midship balcony on the hump. I don't think changing to a balcony with a big overhang quite far forward is worth it to eat in Blu when I love the main dining room anyway, and can take or leave the Persian garden. If I had a so so balcony cabin or an obstructed cabin, it would have been an easy decision, but I have one that's too good to part with unless I was offered a suite (Which I cheekily and very nicely asked for when I called to turn down the Aqua upgrade ;). They said no :D)

Thank you all you lovely people in the CC community for helping me think this through!

Edited by Cassicruiser