Is there anyone here who still....enjoys elegance?

Cruizen Susan

I would love to keep this thread positive, and only hear from people who answer my question, me the OP. There have been many opinionated posts regarding the dress code more recently than ever. Those most vocal are very opposed to seeing people in their elegant "finery." After all, many of us are on vacation, and enjoy packing clothing and accessories we don't get to wear as often at home. Personally, I enjoy dining with my DH, just as we do when we go to a high-end restaurant. It feels romantic, like a date!! :)

But we who enjoy the elegance are called absurd, ridiculous, snobs, trolls, and are made fun of the way we "play dress up."

Those opposed to upscale dress claim that MOST of the X cruisers now have left behind the elegance and have opted for a far more casual garb. In my experience and in my observations, this is not true. My question to you is this: Do you still enjoy elegance and refinement while dining? (Nothing against those who don't, I don't want to hear from you, I want to hear from those do enjoy your suit and tie and dresses)

I would have set up a poll, but it would be loaded with the nay's because they are the most vocal.

Please let me know if you like to bring your suits and dresses on your cruises. Our resident dress code dictators say it's all in the past, but I have seen otherwise.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a snob lol, and feel that anyone can dress as they choose. I only ask that you also allow me to dress as I choose, without judgement or name-calling. Thank you.

I love dressing up a couple of times a cruise. I agree that it feels romantic and so elegant. I think it also shows respect to the crew that you feel they deserve more than to see you in your torn jeans and cut offs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you enjoy dressing to the nine, QM2 is the cruise for you. You can dress formal every night.

Thanks for the tip, but you did not answer my question. Although I assume you oppose those who like a suit and tie and cocktail dress, etc.

If I wanted to cruise the QM2, I would and I could. However it all comes down to choice, doesn't it. I CHOOSE Celebrity, love Celebrity, and CHOOSE to dress. Not necessarily "to the nines" (sarcasm noted).

I agree with you. I like to see people dressed up, but it seems the world has gone casual not just Celebrity. I will be bringing my usual formal wear on our next cruise in a month and I think several others on the roll call will too.

Good luck to you, starting a thread on a contentious issue and asking only those who agree with your personal viewpoint to respond! :rolleyes:

I apologize, if that was your impression. I wanted to do a poll, but knew it would be biased. I sincerely wanted to get a general idea of those who still like elegance. There has been confusion on my part, because recent cruising has shown me that many still "dress" but the opposers make fun of us, and say it's gone by the wayside. Not my intention for argument here, just facts.

Thanks!

I enjoy it. I'm a casual person, but for a couple of nights it's nice to get dressed up. I have no problem with those who don't want to get dressed up, but it's fun. Some of our favorite photos from cruises have been from formal nights. We don't tend to do a lot of family photos, so the cruise photos serve as that.

No one minds you dressing up. When it gets contentious is when those who prefer not to are called "yahoos" (as was already said on this thread), or low life, or slobs etc. You do you. Dress up in all your finery. Just don't demand everyone else does the same. All good.

No one minds you dressing up. When it gets contentious is when those who prefer not to are called "yahoos" (as was already said on this thread), or low life, or slobs etc. You do you. Dress up in all your finery. Just don't demand everyone else does the same. All good.

Actually they do mind us "dressing up" We are made fun of and judged. And called names. Also, re-read my original post. There is no demanding anyone do anything. Each to his own. Live and let live!!

Actually they do mind us "dressing up" We are made fun of and judged. And called names. Also' date=' re-read my original post. There is no demanding anyone do anything. Each to his own. Live and let live!![/quote']

and vice versa. On these threads all the time, folks who choose not to dress up are treated as peasants, unsophisticated, slobs...told we "ruin" the dress up folks' dinner experience, or even their entire cruise! So goes both ways.

Good reply. I couldn't care less about formal nights but did play along. I like to think on all other nights I dress very well, in fact you could say evening chic.

I apologize' date=' if that was your impression. I wanted to do a poll, but knew it would be biased. I sincerely wanted to get a general idea of those who still like elegance. There has been confusion on my part, because recent cruising has shown me that many still "dress" but the opposers make fun of us, and say it's gone by the wayside. Not my intention for argument here, just facts.

Thanks![/quote']

For the record, DW and I do enjoy dressing up and I would never wear less than dockers and a collared shirt on non-Chic nights. We've never even taken a pair of jeans on a cruise, and would never think of wearing a t-shirt to the MDR. So, yes, we enjoy elegance, but recognize that societal norms continue to change and that we are slowly becoming part of a minority, even aboard ship.

For most the formal attire is from a bygone era.the ages on most ships are getting younger. Most cruise lines are pursuing this demographic. Many dont correlate dining with their chosen attire. As for me it takes way to long to get ready.i dont like taking longer to get ready for a meal than it takes to be served said meal.

I never care whether I am in the majority or minority. I do what I feel right for me. (While observing rules, of course.) I enjoy wearing dresses at night regardless of what the dress code is. My husband prefers to wear a jacket with a dress shirt and feels strange wearing a jacket and dress shirt without a tie. I don't care at all what anyone else is wearing. I don't think I label myself as "elegant" rather following my own fashion sense. I look better in dresses than pants.

and vice versa. On these threads all the time, folks who choose not to dress up are treated as peasants, unsophisticated, slobs...told we "ruin" the dress up folks' dinner experience, or even their entire cruise! So goes both ways.

If that is the case, you are correct. Class is not defined by the clothing one wears. It is in the character and behavior.....

When we started cruising, my husband was very anti formal nights. He reasoned he had to wear a suit every day for work and wanted to 'relax' on holiday. We even went as far as to phone Celebrity to check that there were options available that would work for him. Whilst he's still not a convert to black tie, since he has retired he enjoys 'dressing up' (as people now call it!) and went as far as buying a new suit, formal shirts and ties for our last cruise. I've never had call for formal dresses, but I now own 3 and look forward to our cruises so that I have the chance to wear them. We're not interested in what others are wearing - that is entirely up to them, but I will continue to wear my beautiful gowns and OH his suit and ties.

I would love to keep this thread positive' date=' and only hear from people who answer my question, me the OP. There have been many opinionated posts regarding the dress code more recently than ever. Those most vocal are very opposed to seeing people in their elegant "finery." After all, many of us are on vacation, and enjoy packing clothing and accessories we don't get to wear as often at home. Personally, I enjoy dining with my DH, just as we do when we go to a high-end restaurant. It feels romantic, like a date!! :)

But we who enjoy the elegance are called absurd, ridiculous, snobs, trolls, and are made fun of the way we "play dress up."

Those opposed to upscale dress claim that MOST of the X cruisers now have left behind the elegance and have opted for a far more casual garb. In my experience and in my observations, this is not true. My question to you is this: Do you still enjoy elegance and refinement while dining? (Nothing against those who don't, I don't want to hear from you, I want to hear from those do enjoy your suit and tie and dresses)

I would have set up a poll, but it would be loaded with the nay's because they are the most vocal.

Please let me know if you like to bring your suits and dresses on your cruises. Our resident dress code dictators say it's all in the past, but I have seen otherwise.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a snob lol, and feel that anyone can dress as they choose. I only ask that you also allow me to dress as I choose, without judgement or name-calling. Thank you.[/quote']

I am with you 100%. My opinion was already pounded on another thread.

....Hi Susan! Hubby still plans tux and I my bling and dresses. Will look forward to chatting over Martinis. Love the opportunity to dress up too.

Melissa

Now we're talking! This thread is moving in the positive direction that I hoped for.

I was not looking at the question as a "contest" with dress up winning and casual losing, or vise versa. I was only hoping to clarify that "elegance" has not going by the wayside. Even my young adult children enjoy wearing their long dresses on cruises.

Thank you all for your responses to validate that not ALL are giving up the bling!! :) I'll continue to wear it even if I'm the only one, but it's nice that the tradition still stands!

I love living the 5-star life! Yes, I enjoy cocktail attire on formal/elegant chic nights. I also dress nicely for dinner every night.

Yes, I wear business attire 5 or more days a week, church attire on Sundays and casual whenever I can between those times. I work 50+ hours a week and subsequently enjoy the fruits of these labors.

Enjoy living life YOUR way, be it casual, upscale, or other!