Where are NCL ships sailing from NY this week?

JessLCH

Rather fortunately, both of the New York ships were on long trips.

The Breakaway is on a 14 day cruise, back this weekend I believe.

Not sure exactly about the Gem, but it was also on a longish cruise, which I think finishes and day now.

I'm not sure whether the Gem may have encountered any rough seas on its way back. Hopefully they were always behind it.

Rather fortunately, both of the New York ships were on long trips.

The Breakaway is on a 14 day cruise, back this weekend I believe.

Not sure exactly about the Gem, but it was also on a longish cruise, which I think finishes and day now.

I'm not sure whether the Gem may have encountered any rough seas on its way back. Hopefully they were always behind it.

I am sitting on the Gem right now, having just arrived back in NY on the 10-day sailing that began on Feb 1. We were already in the Caribbean when that storm slammed the Anthem. I was following the news on line; what a horrible event. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt. We were on the Anthem

TA this fall, and very glad to see her safely back in port this morning as we sailed past.

As for the Gem, on Tuesday as we were sailing at top speed to get back to NY, we hit some heavy swells that the Captain said were the remnants of the storm that hit Anthem. Then we sailed into a separate storm that had us in very rough seas and high winds for all of Tuesday night and much of yesterday. Stuff crashing in the cabin, drawers flying open, outer decks closed, that sort of thing. But nothing like what happened to Anthem.

And we had great weather in the Caribbean.

I am sitting on the Gem right now, having just arrived back in NY on the 10-day sailing that began on Feb 1. We were already in the Caribbean when that storm slammed the Anthem. I was following the news on line; what a horrible event. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt. We were on the Anthem

TA this fall, and very glad to see her safely back in port this morning as we sailed past.

As for the Gem, on Tuesday as we were sailing at top speed to get back to NY, we hit some heavy swells that the Captain said were the remnants of the storm that hit Anthem. Then we sailed into a separate storm that had us in very rough seas and high winds for all of Tuesday night and much of yesterday. Stuff crashing in the cabin, drawers flying open, outer decks closed, that sort of thing. But nothing like what happened to Anthem.

And we had great weather in the Caribbean.

Glad you had a safe return!

We were on the same cruise and had the same feelings, minus the crashing stuff. We were on deck 9 in a balcony. The overnight into Wednesday did wake my wife and I up around 4 in the morning, a few waves made us say "Woah" but it wasn't anything deathly frightening, we have been through worse.

One thing to note is our navigation officer and captian did adjust course, normally from Tortola it's a straight shot back to NYC but he told us "That would be impossible". We went closer to land and came up north by the coast.

Tuesday night we were sitting at the bar in the Atrium when they got a phone call.

"What was that about?"

"We need to secure the bottles, it's going to get bad."

Saran wrap was put down on all of the tables in all of the restaurants to keep things from slipping, didn't look like anything was damaged. Both pools were drained as well as the ones in the spa and all outside decks were sealed off by Wednesday afternoon.

The captain of the Gem still is the best. After all of the rocking and rolling and actual hurricane force winds (we had gusts up to 129 miles per hour) he gets on the intercom and said "Well it was a little breezy last night." I wanted to high five him, what a guy.

We were on the same cruise and had the same feelings, minus the crashing stuff. We were on deck 9 in a balcony. The overnight into Wednesday did wake my wife and I up around 4 in the morning, a few waves made us say "Woah" but it wasn't anything deathly frightening, we have been through worse.

One thing to note is our navigation officer and captian did adjust course, normally from Tortola it's a straight shot back to NYC but he told us "That would be impossible". We went closer to land and came up north by the coast.

Tuesday night we were sitting at the bar in the Atrium when they got a phone call.

"What was that about?"

"We need to secure the bottles, it's going to get bad."

Saran wrap was put down on all of the tables in all of the restaurants to keep things from slipping, didn't look like anything was damaged. Both pools were drained as well as the ones in the spa and all outside decks were sealed off by Wednesday afternoon.

The captain of the Gem still is the best. After all of the rocking and rolling and actual hurricane force winds (we had gusts up to 129 miles per hour) he gets on the intercom and said "Well it was a little breezy last night." I wanted to high five him, what a guy.

Who was your Captain?

In rough weather, the Gem has an advantage over the Anthem....it is about 3 knots faster, which does give the Captain a bit more flexibility to circumnavigate the worst part of a storm. And the Gem could get into a port like Baltimore, if necessary, which the Anthem (and Breakaway) cannot due to overhead clearance...

Staffan Bengtsson.

At the Q and A with the senior officers on the last day (by this time we'd been rockin' and rollin' for about 24 hours), he said how much he loves those sorts of seas. I totally get it. :)

I am pretty sure he was our captain last year when we had a wave that felt like it was going to flip the ship, I remember waking up in our room, porthole at the front of the ship, and felt like I was standing up. The wave was the talk of everyone the next day.

What did he say during his morning announcement? "Well, we had a little motion last night."

He loves it.

Reminds me of stereotypical airline captains describing some air turbulence as

"light chop..."....:D

Ha you're right. One flight after my drink hit the ceiling of the plane I asked the pilot on my way off the plane how bad it was. He said it woke him up but wasn't too bad.

If I had to pick a ship to be on during a storm I would take the Gem over the Anthem or Breakaway. I think the Gem could handle high wind/waves better than those two.

That's probably true. The Gem has a lower profile, so is less subject to any crosswinds. However, the other two have a broader beam, so not sure if that equalizes that to some degree, or not. The other two are longer, so they may resist pitching motion better. Not sure. And the Gem is faster than the other two by about 3 knots, as I mentioned earlier. The better to 'outrun' storms, or circumnavigate them.

None of these ships were really designed to handle the North Atlantic in wintertime, as the true ocean liners of old were...

They were much sleeker, with lower profiles, and deeper drafts, and were much faster, to handle the weather.

The closest thing to them today, is the Cunard Queen Mary 2, with a deeper draft, a strengthened hull, and capable of 30 knot speed...