Thoughts and opinions

beautifullady

You will get many opinions, but ultimately it's what you are comfortable with.

Me being in the AARP age with no kids at home , I would go! If we live in fear of all the Crap going on these days we wouldn't go anywhere.

Would I take excursion , probably not, may just use that as another sea day!

Morning all. Just booked a 7 day to bermuda on the dawn and now hearing that the zika virus is there! What do I do?

Where did you hear that???

I have never even seen a mosquito in Bermuda Ever!

Edited by biker@sea

Unless you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant in the near future, I would go and enjoy. If it will make you more comfortable, take some insect repellent with deet and make sure you spray yourself down when out and about (spray it on after you put on your sunscreen).

Morning all. Just booked a 7 day to bermuda on the dawn and now hearing that the zika virus is there! What do I do?

It's just another issue to add to the list of cruising downsides. Honestly, I'd be more concerned with a virus spreading around the ship (noro was going around the NCL Star last week when we were on) than the Zika virus. Just always stay informed, be smart, and take any necesary precautions without being scared of everything that could happen - you can't enjoy life that way!

Would I take excursion , probably not, may just use that as another sea day!

The Dawn docks in Bermuda for 3 days, and that is the only port on the itinerary. It would be a great shame to stay on board the whole time, espcially since the mosquitoes can find you there, too.

http://bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Health-Care-Directory/Article/Taking-the-sting-out-of-mosquitoes/-3/1102/69834

That article is from 2013. It doesn't mention the virus just the types of Mosquitos that they have and how they control them. There is a current article stating no cases of the virus reported in Bermuda

When did you do this booking for ? ? ?

If in the autumn of the year forget about the pesky mosquitos - they only

survive in hot humid summer weather.

You would have better odds of winning the lottery than getting something

from a mosquito bite.

Way too much information running amok - scaring the devil out of folks !

And YES talk to your Doctor about issues of concern.

My wife and I *swear* by Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent.

http://www.repel.com/Products-and-Solutions/Natural-Insect-Repellent/Lemon-Eucalyptus.aspx

My wife is a a mosquito bite magnet and when we were pregnant with our now 13 year DD, we put it to the ultimate test, Mayan Ruins in Belize. Nearly all of the other people on our excursion were bitten and my wife and I did not have a single bite. Others with DEET based sprays were also bitten.

Here's a handy article from the FDA as well:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/ucm085277.htm

Like others have said, I would definitely go. We're cruising next month and will certainly have our repellent handy as usual.

Good luck!

When did you do this booking for ? ? ?

If in the autumn of the year forget about the pesky mosquitos - they only

survive in hot humid summer weather.

You would have better odds of winning the lottery than getting something

from a mosquito bite.

Way too much information running amok - scaring the devil out of folks !

And YES talk to your Doctor about issues of concern.

August 5-12

Rule # 1: Don't panic.

(That's Rule # 1 about anything.)

Do some reading on the Zika virus. Unless you're likely to be pregnant or get pregnant in the next year or so, you're not at a major risk even if you do get infected. Most people who contract Zika have no symptoms at all, and most who do have symptoms just experience something similar to a bad cold. The major risk is for pregnant women.