Bought an upgraded cabin while checking in?

SheriffJoe

Sorry to sound like a butt but my question was for anyone who had actually done this and what was their experience, so far all I have is the usual guess's, status quo CC info from people who have not done this and if you have you didn't say so and mostly everything I already know. :rolleyes: Ok you guessed it I am not really sorry.... :D So again, is there anyone who has actually done this and what was your experience price wise and upgrade wise, I am thinking of upgrading once onboard from a CC to a suite if any are available....

Sorry to sound like a butt but my question was for anyone who had actually done this and what was their experience, so far all I have is the usual guess's, status quo CC info from people who have not done this and if you have you didn't say so and mostly everything I already know. :rolleyes: Ok you guessed it I am not really sorry.... :D So again, is there anyone who has actually done this and what was your experience price wise and upgrade wise, I am thinking of upgrading once onboard from a CC to a suite if any are available....

NO ONE HAS DONE IT because it is NOT AN OPTION. in a Post 9/11 world it just does NOT happen any longer

every single cruise we have ever been on there is a big sign that says : NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE when you check in.

besides CC represents a minuscule percentage of the total number of cruisers anyway

if it were a common thing the boards would be full of success stories. you don't see them because there aren't any

Sorry to [/b]sound like a butt[/b] but my question was for anyone who had actually done this and what was their experience, so far all I have is the usual guess's, status quo CC info from people who have not done this and if you have you didn't say so and mostly everything I already know. :rolleyes: Ok you guessed it I am not really sorry.... :D So again, is there anyone who has actually done this and what was your experience price wise and upgrade wise, I am thinking of upgrading once onboard from a CC to a suite if any are available....

Yes, you do. :rolleyes:

In addition to reading the many posts over the years dealing with this subject, I've stood at GR on other issues and listened to innumerable passengers enquire about an upgrade. One doesn't need to have gone through the process oneself to know the answers. I also had related discussions with GR staff when, because of an issue with our cabin on one cruise, we were moved to a vacant cabin.

But, hey, I've never upgraded onboard myself, so what do I know? :cool:

NO ONE HAS DONE IT because it is NOT AN OPTION. in a Post 9/11 world it just does NOT happen any longer

every single cruise we have ever been on there is a big sign that says : NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE when you check in.

besides CC represents a minuscule percentage of the total number of cruisers anyway

if it were a common thing the boards would be full of success stories. you don't see them because there aren't any

WRONG...post 9/11 only affects those who want a last minute cheap price who did not already have a booking, the feds could care less if you upgrade from an inside to a balcony....and YES I HAVE seen posts where people did this, again more guess's and misinformation :rolleyes:

Yes, you do. :rolleyes:

In addition to reading the many posts over the years dealing with this subject, I've stood at GR on other issues and listened to innumerable passengers enquire about an upgrade. One doesn't need to have gone through the process oneself to know the answers. I also had related discussions with GR staff when, because of an issue with our cabin on one cruise, we were moved to a vacant cabin.

But, hey, I've never upgraded onboard myself, so what do I know? :cool:

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...your overheard conversations with GR staff , were they of the "no we don't have any upgrades available" variety or "no we are not allowed to do that? " 2 VERY different scenario's and yes I do know this has been done and again my questions were to those who have actually done it as they will be the only ones who can accurately answer my questions as to how this process worked, overhearing someone being told nothing is available doesn't do that.

We've asked before. Once there was a Sky Suite available. We went and looked at it and decided (because of the location) that it wasn't worth the extra money. There's no deal on upgrades. You pay the difference between what you paid for your booked cabin and the going rate for the upgraded cabin.

We've asked before. Once there was a Sky Suite available. We went and looked at it and decided (because of the location) that it wasn't worth the extra money. There's no deal on upgrades. You pay the difference between what you paid for your booked cabin and the going rate for the upgraded cabin.

HALLEJUAH....an actual answer to my question from someone who has done this, THANK YOU!!!!! :D

We were just on a Reflection Eastern Caribbean cruise and were booked in a C2 cabin on the hump angle. I asked at check-in, before boarding, if they could look at what might be available for an upgrade and was told we had to go to Guest Relations once we were on board. So as soon as we were on board I went to Guest relations and inquired about upgrading to a C1 on the Aft of the ship as there were 2 available on the day before we sailed. I was told that the ship was full so nothing available. However, we could be put on a waiting list and they would let us know if anything came available. So we did that. We sailed on Saturday and late Sunday afternoon we got a call from Guest Relations saying that they had an Aqua class cabin available for a $300 upgrade. I told them I wasn't interested in an Aqua class but if an aft cabin became available I would be interested. On Monday morning another call from Guest Relations with the same offer for an Aqua class upgrade. Again I said no. Later on Monday another call from Guest Relations letting us know that a C1 aft cabin was available. In that we were already in a concierge cabin they said there would not be an upgrade fee. We looked at the available cabin but since we were all settled in we did not take the upgrade. Not sure if this helps, but might give you an idea how Celebrity handles on-board upgrades.

We were just on a Reflection Eastern Caribbean cruise and were booked in a C2 cabin on the hump angle. I asked at check-in, before boarding, if they could look at what might be available for an upgrade and was told we had to go to Guest Relations once we were on board. So as soon as we were on board I went to Guest relations and inquired about upgrading to a C1 on the Aft of the ship as there were 2 available on the day before we sailed. I was told that the ship was full so nothing available. However, we could be put on a waiting list and they would let us know if anything came available. So we did that. We sailed on Saturday and late Sunday afternoon we got a call from Guest Relations saying that they had an Aqua class cabin available for a $300 upgrade. I told them I wasn't interested in an Aqua class but if an aft cabin became available I would be interested. On Monday morning another call from Guest Relations with the same offer for an Aqua class upgrade. Again I said no. Later on Monday another call from Guest Relations letting us know that a C1 aft cabin was available. In that we were already in a concierge cabin they said there would not be an upgrade fee. We looked at the available cabin but since we were all settled in we did not take the upgrade. Not sure if this helps, but might give you an idea how Celebrity handles on-board upgrades.

Thanks Chef, it sounds like they were pushing the $300 upgrade and wouldn't offer you something they knew they wouldn't charge for until they were SURE you wouldn't take Aqua...interesting that you would have paid for the C1 if they had only offered it to you on Day 1, not very good business sense IMO but glad to confirm they will offer upgrades if available...maybe not sooner but later! :p

Okay, STOP!!! I HAVE done it!! It was about 5 years ago on Summit (so post 9/11). We asked at the pier and were put on a list. Got a call from GR that night offering an upgrade to CC for $250, a little less than we could have upgraded for previously. We were also offered a Royal Suite for $8500. Guess which one we chose? We moved in the AM,

Somewhat of a bummer because we couldn't unpack that first night, had to dig thru suitcases for clothes for dinner, bed, etc.

Our original balcony cabin was never occupied the rest of the cruise. . .

OK, we have done it.

Twice. And both times the upgrades were done at check-in time, at the pier, and not at GR. We checked in in the normal way, then asked to be directed to the Port Coordinator, who handled the upgrades. New keys were issued and off we went. You probably don't want to know what we paid to upgrade from a C2 to a RS.

Don't know if it is currently being done that way since the prices that people will pay for cabins today just astounds us so we don't even ask. We book the class of cabin in which we are interested in and never look back.

I have been downgraded at check in ! :eek:

NOT on Celebrity - on a P&O ship -

Drove all the way to Southampton - off on a birthday cruise around the med - had a balcony - checked in - they told us AT CHECKIN our cabin was double booked (we booked ten months in advance) - and they had put us in an oceanview with £100 each OBC -

we HATED that cruise - it went from bad to worse. They had offered us our money back on the spot at check in- but we were stood there, luggage in hand - 12 hour drive from home - allocated ten days off work - what were we to do. This was over ten years ago - at that time I smoked (I know yuk!) - but at the time I did. I NEVER smoked in my bedroom at home - and there was I smoking in my room in this oceanview - it was vile I know - but back then I guess everyone did. BUT - it was not what I wanted - I had chosen a balcony to enjoy my coffee and cigarette as well of course as the views through the med. The £100 each of OBC btw I don't think equated to the difference in cost between the oceanview and the balcony at the time. (I don't smoke now btw haven't done so for some years thank God!).

Wrote to P&O afterwards and they offered nada - hardly even a genuine apology. We walked away, was not worth the fight - I guess we could have pursued it but we are busy people and have a business to run - we come home from vacation and its work work work - P&O ate up enough of our time and energy.

Needless to say - never be back with P&O.

Never been upgraded - I believe in choosing the cabin or suite which is right for you - pay for it - and be happy with your lot :)

Oh We DID upgrade once to the Royal Suite (penthouse) on Explorer of the Seas! Received a call three weeks prior to cruise as we were on the waitlist - we coughed up several thousand - YES thousands£££££s - and ironically - from an enjoyment point of view - it scored VERY LOW! NOT our favoured cruise by a long shot. It was a once in a lifetime for us - we wished we had stuck with our original suite which was the basic suite with Royal - sometimes - the grass simply is not greener! ;-)

Okay, STOP!!! I HAVE done it!! It was about 5 years ago on Summit (so post 9/11). We asked at the pier and were put on a list. Got a call from GR that night offering an upgrade to CC for $250, a little less than we could have upgraded for previously. We were also offered a Royal Suite for $8500. Guess which one we chose? We moved in the AM,

Somewhat of a bummer because we couldn't unpack that first night, had to dig thru suitcases for clothes for dinner, bed, etc.

Our original balcony cabin was never occupied the rest of the cruise. . .

Thanks Cathy!

I have been downgraded at check in ! :eek:

NOT on Celebrity - on a P&O ship -

Drove all the way to Southampton - off on a birthday cruise around the med - had a balcony - checked in - they told us AT CHECKIN our cabin was double booked (we booked ten months in advance) - and they had put us in an oceanview with £100 each OBC -

we HATED that cruise - it went from bad to worse. They had offered us our money back on the spot at check in- but we were stood there, luggage in hand - 12 hour drive from home - allocated ten days off work - what were we to do. This was over ten years ago - at that time I smoked (I know yuk!) - but at the time I did. I NEVER smoked in my bedroom at home - and there was I smoking in my room in this oceanview - it was vile I know - but back then I guess everyone did. BUT - it was not what I wanted - I had chosen a balcony to enjoy my coffee and cigarette as well of course as the views through the med. The £100 each of OBC btw I don't think equated to the difference in cost between the oceanview and the balcony at the time. (I don't smoke now btw haven't done so for some years thank God!).

Wrote to P&O afterwards and they offered nada - hardly even a genuine apology. We walked away, was not worth the fight - I guess we could have pursued it but we are busy people and have a business to run - we come home from vacation and its work work work - P&O ate up enough of our time and energy.

Needless to say - never be back with P&O.

Never been upgraded - I believe in choosing the cabin or suite which is right for you - pay for it - and be happy with your lot :)

Oh We DID upgrade once to the Royal Suite (penthouse) on Explorer of the Seas! Received a call three weeks prior to cruise as we were on the waitlist - we coughed up several thousand - YES thousands£££££s - and ironically - from an enjoyment point of view - it scored VERY LOW! NOT our favoured cruise by a long shot. It was a once in a lifetime for us - we wished we had stuck with our original suite which was the basic suite with Royal - sometimes - the grass simply is not greener! ;-)

Wow...I would have not been a happy camper either though I can see why you went ahead and took it since everything was preplanned....

On Royal Caribbean...right after 9/11 ships were not sailing full. We scored several upgrades at the Pier Coordinator Desk at the pier...JS to OS for $500! It was a way for the Cruiseline to get a few extra $$$ for those otherwise empty suites and then sell an upgrade to another passenger in a lower category. As you can imagine the word spread rapidly and passengers started lining up at the Pier coordinator desk.

THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE! Ships tend to sail with full capacity. Today, you get what you paid for!

We have done it twice, but not with Celebrity. Both times post 9/11. With RCCL we asked about the upgrade at the pier and were directed to the pier coordinator. We paid $600 to upgrade from a regular balcony to a Grand Suite. The second time we were on a Disney Cruise and I have to admit that we bought too much stuff at Disney, pre-cruise. We just didn't have enough space on our regular balcony cabin. We went to guest services and asked about an upgrade. A couple of hours later we were given a call to offer the upgrade. Don't remember the exact amount but we paid over a $1000 to upgrade to a really nice suite.

Check this thread about the same topic in RCCL they do have guidelines about the upgrades. (post #10), but I haven't seen anything like this on Celebrity. Hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973146&highlight=pier+upgrades+prices

On three cruises I, personally, inquired about an upgrade and was basically laughed at probably because of the sign on the desk at Guest Relations saying No Cabins available. Another cruise I was standing next to a couple at Guest Relations who inquired about an upgrade from their Sky Suite and they were offered a PH for $4500 per person extra. They declined and that suite was part of a bingo game. Since no one won bingo in the prescribed amount of numbers called, no one won the suite.