High speed train: Paris to Barcelona

gatorphin

Not yet, but we're planning on going Barcelona-Paris this summer. One thing I would advise is to check out pricing on the TGV website, rather than a site like Rail Europe, which is usually more expensive.

If you want to see the journey, check out the video on this page: http://www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barcelona-by-TGV-train.htm#.VsSk7PkrK70

For journeys originating in France buy from http://www.voyages-sncf.com/. They sell 120 days forward; better pricing is well in advance. Trip takes 6.5 hrs and price starts at 59 euros. I haven't taken this particular train but took TGV and its very good with speed of 350 kmh on some segments. No vibration or noise.

Edited by hkto

Thanks for the info, this is timely.

We're planning on this train this coming October. We will be starting in London and I understand we need to change train stations in Paris. Any scheduling issues that you can see?

Thanks for the info, this is timely.

We're planning on this train this coming October. We will be starting in London and I understand we need to change train stations in Paris. Any scheduling issues that you can see?

Precisely what we're doing in reverse - Barcelona-Paris-London, only I had the bright idea to stay the night in Paris so we could go to the Musée d'Orsay (missed it last trip), so no tight connection. That said, the transfer is supposed to be quite easy between Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar arrives, and Gare de Lyon, where you get the TGV to Barcelona - by RER, it's just 2 stops down the line. The main issue I could see with this connection was to allow for enough time for immigration before boarding the Eurostar, but as that is your first leg, it will make for a much simpler transfer.

Looking at the Bahn.com website (this is actually the German rail website - you won't be able to buy your tickets there but it's excellent for checking schedules), they are giving an 80-minute connection in Paris, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Although it would be even better if you can catch an earlier Eurostar so that you have time for lunch at Le Train Bleu restaurant at Gare de Lyon - truly a grand experience!

Check out the Seat 61 website - as the author is British, he gives detailed step-by-step instructions for journeys starting/ending in London.

... Looking at the Bahn.com website (this is actually the German rail website - you won't be able to buy your tickets there but it's excellent for checking schedules), they are giving an 80-minute connection in Paris, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Although it would be even better if you can catch an earlier Eurostar so that you have time for lunch at Le Train Bleu restaurant at Gare de Lyon - truly a grand experience! ...

This sounds like an excellent idea. I really appreciate the info. I would be inclined to take the earlier train from London anyhow, just for more leeway in case of delay. However, I think we would really enjoy the restaurant experience. Thanks much.

Yes, get the tickets when they come out as they are cheaper if u know ur times. I did the overnight from Paris to Barcelona a couple years back. It was horrible...lol...but some people on my cruise in July did the fast train and enjoyed the journey!M

Has any of you done it? Any suggestions or hints? Taking wife and to teenage daughters to Paris for 4 nights pre-cruise. Thanks.

Did this trip last Oct. It is VERY comfy & hassle free.

We carried on a beget, cheese & bottle of wine sat back & relaxed.

You will Love it.

Ron

Did this trip last Oct. It is VERY comfy & hassle free.

We carried on a beget, cheese & bottle of wine sat back & relaxed.

You will Love it.

Ron

Sounds great. Were you able to buy the wine and cheese in the train station? We will be coming from London, so may not be able to get supplies up there.

I took the overnight train from Barcelona to Paris (round trip) a number of years ago. It was fine as we had a sleeper car, but in hindsight, I would have rather taken the fast train instead.

We plan on doing the daytime train because I'd like to see some of the countryside.

Another option would be to look at flying on one of the low cost airlines.

We spent 3 nights pre-cruise in Paris a few years ago before flying to catch a cruise out of Barcelona. We used EasyJet and the price was about the same as the train.

I can see that the airline would be less expensive and much faster, but for us, the train, including the chunnel, is the main attraction.

If one can get train ticket at lowest price when it comes out (was 59€) it'a a better option. Time wise little bit slower than flight (with time getting to/from airports and wait there) but more likely cheaper considering cost of going to and from airports. And definitely more relaxing. TGV trains are fantastic.

Edited by hkto

If one can get train ticket at lowest price when it comes out (was 59€) it'a a better option. Time wise little bit slower than flight (with time getting to/from airports and wait there) but more likely cheaper considering cost of going to and from airports. And definitely more relaxing. TGV trains are fantastic.

How far in advance do you recommend getting tickets?

Sounds great. Were you able to buy the wine and cheese in the train station? We will be coming from London, so may not be able to get supplies up there.

Bought it before we went to station.

If I were you, I would buy wine in London

& get sandwiches when you change trains in Paris.

You will not regret taking this trip.

Ron

Bought it before we went to station.

If I were you, I would buy wine in London

& get sandwiches when you change trains in Paris.

You will not regret taking this trip.

Ron

Thank-you, I really appreciate the pointers.:)

We took the PAR-BCN train in April 2013 and it was a piece of cake. Under the advisement of another board, we brought a a bike lock and strapped it through our luggage handles since luggage racks can be hard to see from your seat. Grab some wine and enjoy the ride.

Z and TB

Just thought I'd update this thread for anyone looking to book this train, as I just reserved our tickets today.

As mentioned, usually tickets are bookable 120 days in advance (which for us would be the 16th of this month); however I set up an email alert with the SNCF site and receive a message today that my date was bookable!

Managed to snag 1st class tickets on my preferred train time, 6:10 am (OK, only preferred so I can have some time in Paris - I doubt I'll be awake when we board :rolleyes:) for 89 euros. For comparison's sake, 2nd class on this train was 59 euros, and the later train, 9:25, had tickets for 49 euros (2nd class) and 99 euros (1st class). These are not the most restrictive ticket class, but rather changeable for a fee (25% of the price up to 7 days before, 50% after that).

The booking process was easy. I initially selected my country as Spain during the initial search, to make sure the site didn't kick me over to the Rail Europe site. Then at the booking stage entered all my address and payment info accurately and had no issues at all. Have seat assignments as well.

Now just have to wait for the actual trip - under about 10 tons of snow... *sigh*

Just thought I'd update this thread for anyone looking to book this train, as I just reserved our tickets today.

As mentioned, usually tickets are bookable 120 days in advance (which for us would be the 16th of this month); however I set up an email alert with the SNCF site and receive a message today that my date was bookable!

Managed to snag 1st class tickets on my preferred train time, 6:10 am (OK, only preferred so I can have some time in Paris - I doubt I'll be awake when we board :rolleyes:) for 89 euros. For comparison's sake, 2nd class on this train was 59 euros, and the later train, 9:25, had tickets for 49 euros (2nd class) and 99 euros (1st class). These are not the most restrictive ticket class, but rather changeable for a fee (25% of the price up to 7 days before, 50% after that).

The booking process was easy. I initially selected my country as Spain during the initial search, to make sure the site didn't kick me over to the Rail Europe site. Then at the booking stage entered all my address and payment info accurately and had no issues at all. Have seat assignments as well.

Now just have to wait for the actual trip - under about 10 tons of snow... *sigh*

Just wanted to echo what was stated above. I too set up an alert. I ended up buying my tickets through www.captaintrain.com. I also paid 89 adult and 50something euros child for 1st class tickets. It wasn't that much more than 2nd level and my husband is 6 foot 3 inches tall so I thought the extra leg room might help him out. It is over 6 hours from Paris to Barcelona. We are traveling July 1st and bought our train tickets today. Can't wait :)