Cruising the Mediterranean in April

I have booked a cruise that goes from Barcelona to Venice in April. Can anyone tell me what to expect for weather? Also any tips or hints to get the most out of these stops. Barcelona, Spain - Provenece, Spain - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Florence/Pisa, Italy - Rome, Italy - Naples, Italy - Iraklion (Crete), Greece - Athens (Piraeus), Greece - Zardar, Croatia - Venice, Italy.

Cheers

Colleen

I have booked a cruise that goes from Barcelona to Venice in April. Can anyone tell me what to expect for weather? Also any tips or hints to get the most out of these stops. Barcelona, Spain - Provenece, Spain - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Florence/Pisa, Italy - Rome, Italy - Naples, Italy - Iraklion (Crete), Greece - Athens (Piraeus), Greece - Zardar, Croatia - Venice, Italy.

Cheers

Colleen

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would check the Ports of Call forum for info on the various ports:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He tells you what there is to do in the port and how much you can do in the time you have. Also how to do it yourself, and what it should cost. On his website he has audio tours for free download to ipod/mp3 and maps to print out. Particularly good for Rome, Florence, Pompeii, Venice... EM

I have sailed this itinerary before.

I like sailing in April, early May, September and October because you have fewer tourists that in the summer and you don't have the heat and humidity.

Now having done this a few times I will tell you that the weather can vary from hour to hour, day to day and certainly year to year. You might have a sunny day with highs in the 70's and low 80's (F) or it might be cloudy with highs in the 50's or 60's. Often no matter what the high is the early morning starts off cool. So, the key is to layer clothing so you can remove it or add to it depending on the weather.

Keith

Hi Colleen, and welcome to Cruise Critic,

April is a little early, mebbe a bit chilly early & late in the day, and at sea - but shouldn't be a problem. Almost ideal for sight-seeing, not great for sun-bathing, and the sea will be cold for swimming.

And, as other posts, no crowds. Or the excessive heat of high summer.

How to get the best out of each port is way too general a question, best answered by copying and pasting half a dozen guide books. ;)

Better to get general ideas from the web, guide books, reviews & such, then search Cruise Critic forums for specifics (use the search tools on the individual country forums), and ask on those forums for info / hints that you can't find.

One way of seeing the list of forums is to scroll to "forum jump" near the bottom of this page and click on the arrow. Then scroll through that list to the Ports of Call section.

If you get lost, just click on your screen name (it's on every page) & you can find your way back to your posts.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

As we all know, there's no good way to predict weather. But I'll say that my April Med cruise was just about perfect from my point of view. Seas were smooth, days were sunny but not hot, and sites weren't completely overrun with tourists.

I'm not one that goes to the Med for the beaches or sunning by the pool. I can do that (generally on much nicer beaches) closer to home.

It will be rainy but warm enough for some sun worshipping and a bit of swimming.

As a kid we used to holiday in the Med at the start/end of the peak season and it was always just about right.

Take Kunas for Croatia

Have a covering (ie scarf) with you for any places of worship you want to visit

Be aware of some sit down charges (Corperto) in Italian places

Despite economic problems Greece is fine in city areas for money etc

Remember the best coffee shops don't like to Milk in your coffee after breakfast

Enjoy!

Here on Cruise critic, go to

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums and then find

Roll Calls

find your cruise line and your ship and then the date of your cruise. There you will meet others on your cruise and you can schedule private tours with them.

Fly in a day early and if you can, spend the night at Hotel 1889 on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Walk to the Boqueria Market (1 block), bring your camera and some Euros and buy food - it is awesome! Port is a 10 minute cab ride. If you have extra time, go see the Gaudi buildings and Parc Guell - they are amazing. Stay off of public transportation (pickpockets) and be cautious when standing in line. Don't let strangers approach you. Mind your handbag at all times, even in restaurants.

For Monaco - you can do this on your own - go to the palace, take the tour, see the cathedral - it's very small - you cannot get lost!

Florence/Pisa - book a private tour to see the Tuscan Hill Towns: Sienna, San Gimignano, Volterra, Montepulciano

Rome - take the train into Rome, meet a walking tour guide from

througheternity.com (book this online ahead of time) See whatever sights you are interested in. Take the train back to the ship.

Naples - hire a private tour guide to take you to Pompeii, then on to Sorrento and Positano.

Greece - these ports you can often do on your own.

Croatia - I would do a foodie type tour there.

You have picked an outstanding cruise. It could rain and it could be sunny, no way to predict.

We experienced light warm rain several times when we went in May. It started in France and ended in Venice.

In Venice we signed up for a night time gondola ride. Picture this. While trying to hold an umbrella while sitting in the Gondola I was also trying keep the bottle of champagne that boat operator provided from spilling. I held the bottle between my feet.

Also I was holding the umbrella, a glass, and my camera. Had a great time. We gathered together with other Gondolas and a man sang to us for about 30 minutes.

Wear good walking shoes because this is a port intensive cruise that requires a lot of walking to see the historical things.

Bob