Royal Caribbean's unwelcoming policy

Pontus

Can you imagine the craaaaawwlllllll.

Fastest internet in the fleet. Everyone had free wifi. It actually wasn't that slow most of the time. The closer we got back to port the slower it got. Once back Wed night, I swear they flipped the switch and I couldn't get anything.

On our cruise to Nassau on the Majesty of Seas food and service was good, but the company's unwelcoming policy in an unusual situation was surprising and unpleasant.

This thread has already been beaten to death, but I want to correct the error in the original post. Missing a port is not at all unusual, happens quite a bit, especially in winter.

Edited by Lerin

This thread has already been beaten to death, but I want to correct the error in the original post. Missing a port is not at all unusual, happens quite a bit, especially in winter.

Especially with ships that go to Coco Cay twice a week, such as Majesty and Enchantment.

Edited by clarea

Of course RCCL is greedy, they are a for-profit, publically traded company. Their #1 obligation is to their investors, not to you.

Of course if they treat customers poorly it will possible affect their profits, but otherwise anything they can do to maximize profits is not only ok but it is their fiduciary responsibility to the investors. That's how capitalism works, like it or not.

In the movie Joe Dirt, Joe goes to get his sweet Competition Orange 1967 Plymouth GTX ("this thing is a HEMI!!!") out of the impound lot, Kevin Nealon, the greasy impound lot mechanic says:

"This is a business, not a charity. Maybe one day UNICEF will get into the impound business... but until then, we're the people to see."

Maybe one day UNICEF will run a charity ship where everyone gets everything they want, no one misses a port, and it's all free. Until then, this is what we're stuck with.

That is because YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!! :)

I hate to break it to you, but you can't spell a-w-e-s-o-m-e without ME!

I am certainly no Royal cheerleader (only three of nearly 20 cruises have been with them).

Over the course of my 20 cruises on four different lines we have probably had to miss a port 8 or 9 times. Only thing we ever received back was port fees. It would not even occur to me to ask for compensation for something outside of their control.

I cannot picture anyone on ANY cruise line saying "We don't owe you anything". Want to try again? I think any employee would be fired for saying something like that. Are you sure the employee didn't say something like...."I'm sorry, but......"

I wouldn't get into a did they really says this, but I do agree that anyone that takes that tone with any customer should be relieved of their duties.

I am certainly no Royal cheerleader (only three of nearly 20 cruises have been with them).

The funny part is that about 98% of people (maybe 1% each side) aren't ROYAL HATERS nor are they ROYAL CHEERLEADERS. Those are just terms we (the general we) use to dismiss the thoughts of posters.

"You Royal ______ (Hater/Cheerleader), I find your post wrong, so I'll call you a name that shows people my opinion is more valid than yours!"

It is an arguing tactic that, as pathetic as it is, most of us have used at one point or another. It's just seems to have almost always been an overused cliché on CC.

I've actually been called BOTH in the same thread. To me, that proved that I'm just a realistic, normal dude who likes and dislikes things about most brands I use. That would apply whether it's soap, cruises, cars, clothing, whatever.

Except Tervis tumblers. Those people are saints and there is nothing wrong with them. I will cut you if you disrespect them. HAHAHAHA

Edited by poncho1973

The funny part is that about 98% of people (maybe 1% each side) aren't ROYAL HATERS nor are they ROYAL CHEERLEADERS. Those are just terms we (the general we) use to dismiss the thoughts of posters.

"You Royal ______ (Hater/Cheerleader), I find your post wrong, so I'll call you a name that shows people my opinion is more valid than yours!"

It is an arguing tactic that, as pathetic as it is, most of us have used at one point or another. It's just seems to have almost always been an overused cliché on CC.

I've actually been called BOTH in the same thread. To me, that proved that I'm just a realistic, normal dude who likes and dislikes things about most brands I use. That would apply whether it's soap, cruises, cars, clothing, whatever.

Except Tervis tumblers. Those people are saints and there is nothing wrong with them. I will cut you if you disrespect them. HAHAHAHA

Perfect! And thanks for the chuckle regarding Tervis tumblers. :D

I think you missed the point totally.

If your point was that a little gesture would have made you look more kindly toward RCI, you are assuming wrongly that RCI will miss you when they lose you as a customer. For the past year, bookings and revenue are up, with lots of that coming from first time cruisers. RCI is in the part of the business cycle when they can afford to be less generous to their customers. As was mentioned by many here, not giving away much for missed ports is the norm.

BTW, don't pay attention to the demeanor of the CC posters - that's par for the course here - nothing to do with you in particular.:cool:

Good points, I always look at it as the posters joined and never bothered reading the guidelines, like this one

"Understand, too, that our community is comprised of folks who LOVE to cruise. It therefore stands to reason that they will have a favorite cruise line or port of call -- in other words, they are "fans" and will sometimes take offense when a brand new member has arrived on the scene to bash a cruise line."

I've been on Majesty 13 times. I've missed Cococay 3 times I think. And a delay to Nassau for wind once. It never crossed my mind to expect anything. But I can tell you the crew really does not like missing ports. It's a lot of extra work for them. In fact, they go out of their way to try and provide onboard activities that would otherwise not be offered to try and make up for it.

So they do try to do something for the passengers.

We're 1 for 5 in attempts at reaching Coco Cay. I think the very first time we missed it there was an open bar for about an hour. Sadly, those days are long gone. On another attempt, we went to Nassau instead. Thankfully those days are gone too. :D

We're 1 for 5 in attempts at reaching Coco Cay. I think the very first time we missed it there was an open bar for about an hour. Sadly, those days are long gone. On another attempt, we went to Nassau instead. Thankfully those days are gone too. :D

If a cruise that I was on missed Nassau I wouldn't be expecting compensation for the cruise line, I would be rejoicing and writing them a check.:)

OMG, Judy, you have never been to CocoCay?!?!??! Wow, I hope that you can get there soon. I love it! :)

I would also add: If the weather was so bad that the Captain felt that it was not safe to dock at Nassau, then you would NOT have enjoyed any time in that port, Pontus!

:eek:

Agree. However... the OP would have had the free wifi at star*ucks so they could wench and whinge about the crappy weather. ...lol

It was cloudy and rainy one day on a ship. I was sad. Can I get a hug and a free drink package? LOL

I really don't get it where people think they are entitled to anything and everything. For me I am so glad the cell phone doesn't work and there is no internet. 360 days a year you have the internet buried in your face. Take a break and enjoy the sea.

Rant over. Happy cruising everyone!!

JoeRum.

It was cloudy and rainy one day on a ship. I was sad. Can I get a hug and a free drink package? LOL

I really don't get it where people think they are entitled to anything and everything. For me I am so glad the cell phone doesn't work and there is no internet. 360 days a year you have the internet buried in your face. Take a break and enjoy the sea.

Rant over. Happy cruising everyone!!

JoeRum.

Maybe the hug but no Free drinks at all package or otherwise.

On our cruise to Nassau on the Majesty of Seas food and service was good, but the company's unwelcoming policy in an unusual situation was surprising and unpleasant. Due to the hard wind the ship did not visit Nassau at all. The company could have been able to soften the disappointment in many ways, which would have cost practically nothing, but nothing was offered. No compensation was given, not even internet time at a reduced price, not to mention free. (The connection would have been free in Nassau at Starbucks.) When I asked for it, the replay was: "We owe you nothing." Perhaps this is true legally, but it does not tell good about the company's policy and shows its greedy attitude. Charge of the internet connection was $ 20 / day / device. Price is high, like all the other prices onboard: glass of wine $ 10 and bottle of water $ 3. The tendency to charge for everything possible created a very bad atmosphere.

Welcome to the United Corporations of America. Unless forced to, Corporations do not do right by their customers anymore. A free drink coupon for everyone would have gone a long way. But why do it if you don't have to? That is the business model today sadly. Many of us long time cruisers (I have 30 under my belt) have had our expectations lowered pretty much every year. If you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed. Sad state of affairs in this country. It could change but people would actually have to join together to do it. Some of us are trying this time around.:)

Welcome to the United Corporations of America. Unless forced to, Corporations do not do right by their customers anymore. A free drink coupon for everyone would have gone a long way. But why do it if you don't have to? That is the business model today sadly. Many of us long time cruisers (I have 30 under my belt) have had our expectations lowered pretty much every year. If you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed. Sad state of affairs in this country. It could change but people would actually have to join together to do it. Some of us are trying this time around.:)

It might be the Business model today, but the big question is why is it like this? Why has it as you seem to think changed from the past?

IMO the reason for any Change is us the Society. Today we live in a greedy me, me, me Society where everybody screams for compensation for almost everything and easily threatens to sue.

So what will this do to the businesses? They will be much more careful in what they do as they might Need to have any of their Actions being tested in front of a judge. So they Play By the contract and not do anything else.

You say a drink Coupon would have gone a Long way, maybe it would, but others would still have complained and stated it was not good enough. I.e. OP didn´t ask for a free drink, but 24-hours free Internet. Quite a difference already.

If they always gave away a free drink with every missed port, would it still be a matter of "doing it right By their customers"? Or would it be the expected Thing, still causing dissapointment and asking for the next Thing to make it right?

Next you say it would cost them next to nothing. I don´t agree here. Costs do add up if given to thousands and they´d have to do it for every missed port, which is not a rare occurance unlike stated By the OP.

We all have to accept there is nothing like a freeby in this world. Every extra cost for "give-aways" Needs to be factored into the cruise fare. We will pay for it one way or the other. If having a choice I´d rather have that freeby not built into my cruise fare, but pay for it individually at the time I want it.

Cruising used to be a a luxury vacation with only few wealthy People being able to afford it.

These days it is still a luxury to some, but it´s affordable to a much wider Population. This could only happen with lower Prices, but of course it can´t be the same luxury product anymore either.

It´s not about greedy companies, it´s about a greedy Society.

On our cruise to Nassau on the Majesty of Seas food and service was good, but the company's unwelcoming policy in an unusual situation was surprising and unpleasant. Due to the hard wind the ship did not visit Nassau at all. The company could have been able to soften the disappointment in many ways, which would have cost practically nothing, but nothing was offered. No compensation was given, not even internet time at a reduced price, not to mention free. (The connection would have been free in Nassau at Starbucks.) When I asked for it, the replay was: "We owe you nothing." Perhaps this is true legally, but it does not tell good about the company's policy and shows its greedy attitude. Charge of the internet connection was $ 20 / day / device. Price is high, like all the other prices onboard: glass of wine $ 10 and bottle of water $ 3. The tendency to charge for everything possible created a very bad atmosphere.

While most People here have focused on your rant about no compensation being given for a missed port, I have a Feeling there is more to your post.

I have a Feeling cruising is not the vacation for you. Missing ports is not unusual at all. But you also complain about high Prices onboard. This is nothing out of the order either and yes there are extra charges for many Things onboard. Cruising is not AI. You stated a bad atmosphere was created By charging for everything possible - well I wasn´t on that cruise, but it would surpise me, as the charging is the same on every cruise and I´ve never seen this create a bad atmosphere.

It might be the Business model today, but the big question is why is it like this? Why has it as you seem to think changed from the past?

IMO the reason for any Change is us the Society. Today we live in a greedy me, me, me Society where everybody screams for compensation for almost everything and easily threatens to sue.

So what will this do to the businesses? They will be much more careful in what they do as they might Need to have any of their Actions being tested in front of a judge. So they Play By the contract and not do anything else.

You say a drink Coupon would have gone a Long way, maybe it would, but others would still have complained and stated it was not good enough. I.e. OP didn´t ask for a free drink, but 24-hours free Internet. Quite a difference already.

If they always gave away a free drink with every missed port, would it still be a matter of "doing it right By their customers"? Or would it be the expected Thing, still causing dissapointment and asking for the next Thing to make it right?

Next you say it would cost them next to nothing. I don´t agree here. Costs do add up if given to thousands and they´d have to do it for every missed port, which is not a rare occurance unlike stated By the OP.

We all have to accept there is nothing like a freeby in this world. Every extra cost for "give-aways" Needs to be factored into the cruise fare. We will pay for it one way or the other. If having a choice I´d rather have that freeby not built into my cruise fare, but pay for it individually at the time I want it.

Cruising used to be a a luxury vacation with only few wealthy People being able to afford it.

These days it is still a luxury to some, but it´s affordable to a much wider Population. This could only happen with lower Prices, but of course it can´t be the same luxury product anymore either.

It´s not about greedy companies, it´s about a greedy Society.

Amen. Some just don't understand and they never will

Welcome to CC. Sorry to hear you didn't get compensated. We watched the Majesty come in on the web cam and turn around. It's terrible when things like that happen, while you were on your warm Bahamas cruise, I was at work putting people's lights back on in -12 degree weather, with a wind chill of -30, and the 7 Eleven wouldn't even give me free coffee for turning their power back on !

On our cruise to Nassau on the Majesty of Seas food and service was good, but the company's unwelcoming policy in an unusual situation was surprising and unpleasant. Due to the hard wind the ship did not visit Nassau at all. The company could have been able to soften the disappointment in many ways, which would have cost practically nothing, but nothing was offered. No compensation was given, not even internet time at a reduced price, not to mention free. (The connection would have been free in Nassau at Starbucks.) When I asked for it, the replay was: "We owe you nothing." Perhaps this is true legally, but it does not tell good about the company's policy and shows its greedy attitude.

I disagree, and I think it's a huge problem in our society. It seems like whenever something doesn't go according to plan people expect to be compensated. Sometimes things happen (or should I say ship happens?:)), and not every thing is compensable. It's just my opinion, but I think so many people demanding compensation for minor problems and inconveniences make it harder for those who have genuine complaints and problems to get the resolution and compensation they deserve. Major issues such as plumbing problems and balky air conditioning get lost in a sea of complaints about missed ports, disliked food, and slow bar service to the extent the customer service folks can't keep up. That starts a whole new barrage of complaints and demands for compensation.

Edited by Cindy

Have changes been made, of course they have, but as a cruiser who will surpass 50 cruises this year, all on RCL I'm still very happy with the RCL perks, Drinks in the DL and CL, 300 plus off my stateroom, welcome aboard gifts, free behind the scene tours, free beverages in the casino, priority seating for shows, special areas and dining options, etc....Zero complaints here and I'm sure I've missed a few perks....(free bag of laundry, free internet, percentage off of items in the logo shop, what else folks...:)