Seniors Car Rental in Ireland

bill_carole

Prior to our next cruise we are renting a car in Ireland. We have reached the "magic" age of 70 and have run into an issue with renting cars. Many of the car rentals start restricting renting to us around 70. The franchise main offices claim there is no restrictions till 74, but I have noted that 70 plus seniors often incur a "surcharge" tacked on to to the rental by the local franchise. We have a reservation with Dollar that definitely kicks on at 74. The question of whether or not we are going to have trouble with the Dublin Airport rentals. Any recent experiences out there?

Thanks

Bill and Carole:confused:

I am 75 and 76 soon. I have never had a problem to date renting a car in Europe no surcharges or anything. I have heard rumors of issues however. I have always used Hertz sometimes through AAA or on their web site.

Since this does not pertain to RC, it might be quickly pulled form this forum.

I would post the question on a travel forum, I do not think I can mention names or just google it.

Edited by north29

Two things - as suggested go to the travel forum where this is discussed and also go to the rental company websites. Over 75 is a problem in some countries and over 80 in most including the USA depending on the rental company. Have never seen an age based surcharge. Have seen an outright prohibiting of rentals over or under a certain age.

Prior to our next cruise we are renting a car in Ireland. We have reached the "magic" age of 70 and have run into an issue with renting cars. Many of the car rentals start restricting renting to us around 70. The franchise main offices claim there is no restrictions till 74, but I have noted that 70 plus seniors often incur a "surcharge" tacked on to to the rental by the local franchise. We have a reservation with Dollar that definitely kicks on at 74. The question of whether or not we are going to have trouble with the Dublin Airport rentals. Any recent experiences out there?

Thanks

Bill and Carole:confused:

I have seen age-range limitations described on websites for car companies, but have not yet had a reservation actually denied or surcharged in Israel, England, or Denmark; no experience in Ireland so can't respond directly to your query. I do wonder every time I fill in the "Age" block on the reservation form.

I (unlike a couple of the other respondents) think this is very much of concern to cruisers. We not only travel to/from our cruise trips, we often do other land-based tours before/after our time onboard. And the same sort of restrictions (not only age, but also weight, health condition, etc) are frequently in the fine print of excursions sponsored by cruise lines as well as independent excursions. People need to be aware of these (often arbitrary) limitations and restrictions, and as a group we should be pushing back against this sort of nonsense promulgated by corporate lawyers.

I tried a dummy booking a car in Dublin for April, I'm 76 and unable to get insurance to drive my company van. I tried a car hire comparison site and had no problem getting a car. I don't think I am breaking site rules by naming the site, if I do, mods please delete this post. I typed in car hire Europe, and came across 'Auto Europe' where you get the information.

Incidentally, take a raincoat with you, every time we go it rains!

I tried a dummy booking a car in Dublin for April, I'm 76 and unable to get insurance to drive my company van. I tried a car hire comparison site and had no problem getting a car. I don't think I am breaking site rules by naming the site, if I do, mods please delete this post. I typed in car hire Europe, and came across 'Auto Europe' where you get the information.

Incidentally, take a raincoat with you, every time we go it rains!

With some companies/franchises (local franchise actions can differ from the general corporate ones) it depends on the type of vehicle you rent. The last type of rentals possible are the upper cost sedans. It's the local restrictions we are concerned with. We are visiting both our cruise visits both jurisdictions in Ireland, Cork and Belfast.

FWIW: Do you have experience driving on the 'wrong' side of the road in a car with the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side? I drove in Ireland and would not do it again! I was ok on their 'interstate' type highways but once off those roads the real problem is you just never know what is going to be on the road! I drove by cattle, sheep, people, cars, tractors, etc., on the road, half on the road, just on the road, passing other things listed above. Ok, next time we go I'm hiring a driver! It really doesn't cost must to hire a driver (I found out after the fact, lol!) If you do drive and you see stuff like above on the road just stop, you can stop right on the roads there and you will not get rear ended like in the US. Anyway, good luck! BTW: It's much more frightening for the passenger than the driver! Oh, another thing, besides the roads being narrow, there is NO shoulder on the roads, just a six inch drop off from people's tires going off the road (to avoid the things listed above!), that's another 'issue'.

(And, I'm not close to a senior, if that makes any difference.)

Edited by rmalbers

FWIW: Do you have experience driving on the 'wrong' side of the road in a car with the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side? I drove in Ireland and would not do it again! I was ok on their 'interstate' type highways but once off those roads the real problem is you just never know what is going to be on the road! I drove by cattle, sheep, people, cars, tractors, etc., on the road, half on the road, just on the road, passing other things listed above. Ok, next time we go I'm hiring a driver! It really doesn't cost must to hire a driver (I found out after the fact, lol!) If you do drive and you see stuff like above on the road just stop, you can stop right on the roads there and you will not get rear ended like in the US. Anyway, good luck! BTW: It's much more frightening for the passenger than the driver! Oh, another thing, besides the roads being narrow, there is NO shoulder on the roads, just a six inch drop off from people's tires going off the road (to avoid the things listed above!), that's another 'issue'.

(And, I'm not close to a senior, if that makes any difference.)

Know exactly what you mean, especially the part about it being much more frightening for the passenger than the driver. So true.

It is such a helpless, nerve wracking feeling sitting there in what is supposed to be the driver's seat, with your natural tendency wanting to grab the steering wheel or hit the brake, and they are not there where they are supposed to be. :eek:

We used to do it years ago, when we were young and foolish, renting a stick shift car right in London. It was a challenge and rather fun for us, sitting on the "wrong" side of the car, shifting with the "wrong" hand, and driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

The hardest part for us was going around the roundabouts (traffic circles to us Americans) which go around clockwise instead of counter-clockwise.

They seem to have many more of them than we do.

We would find ourselves going around and around the circle several times before figuring out how to get off on the left side at the exit road we wanted. :)

Today we would not have the nerve to do it, especially not starting out right in London traffic, the way we did it our first time.

Also, when driving out on those country roads you mentioned we might drive for miles and miles without seeing another car.

As the roads are narrow, one usually drives down the middle of the road when there is no traffic, and moves over to the appropriate side when you see another vehicle coming toward you.

So as Americans, when we see another vehicle coming toward us our natural tendency is to swerve over to the right, instead of to the left, which is what we are supposed to do when driving in the UK.

It is likely the reverse of what UK people experience when driving in the USA for the first time, except they have an advantage because almost any car you rent in the USA is not likely to have a stick shift, so at least that makes it somewhat less challenging. :D

Yes and we also found that the directional signs seem to be after the intersection or in a place we completely do not look for them (on the side of houses and left hand side to boot). Difficult to park as well-- Americans do less parallel parking and to do so on wrong side of street/ with wheel on wrong side just awful! People nicer though. I would check for a driver guide and price it out. I have extremely great results with a guide listed on trip advisor or local tourist board etc. Between towns/ areas take train and meet another guide.

I just thought of another tip for US drivers in Ireland: There are not as many gas stations around as there are in the US. Don't venture off anywhere without a topping off the gas tank. Also, the GPS we had showed a lot of gas station that no longer existed (old map I guess).

Hi All,

I don't know colonials getting worried about driving in Ireland, it's not Death Race 2000 :):):)

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/Rules-of-the-Road/

The link is to the rules of the road in Eire.

If in doubt keep it slow and let other cars pass you when you can.

Roundabouts are very easy, just Give Way to vehicles coming from the right.

Pete

Two things - as suggested go to the travel forum where this is discussed and also go to the rental company websites. Over 75 is a problem in some countries and over 80 in most including the USA depending on the rental company. Have never seen an age based surcharge. Have seen an outright prohibiting of rentals over or under a certain age.

Dollar is serviced by Hertz at Dublin Airport. There is no mention on the website of age limits. https://www.dollar.com/Reservations/AllCars.aspx

On the Hertz website there is a mention of age:

https://www.hertz.ie/rentacar/reservation/#vehicles

cut and paste: Customers over 75 years are eligible to rent with the following specific conditions:

You must drive on a regular basis

You will need to provide to the counter a letter from your insurance company to state that you have not had an accident within the last 5 years, that you hold a current policy of motor insurance with you and that you are currently driving.

You will need to provide a current letter from your doctor to state you have been in good health.

Requirements for corporate account customers may vary. Please contact the appropriate department.

If you have any query, please contact your Reservation Centre.

I also just did comparative quotes on Dan Dooley Car Rentals at dublin airport and they will quote for a 76 year old, it works out at a 50% uplift on the price for a 59 year old

http://www.dan-dooley.ie/quote_details.php

Further checking gives age groups of:

over 25 and up to 69,

70 - 75

and 75 to 99 :eek: