Smoking Issue on the Caribbean Princess

cruzysuzy

It does to document the fact that their crew did not do anything about the complaint while aboard the ship.

That's true but if the offending cabin is right next door to your balcony I want something done on the cruise to correct the situation, not point fingers when I arrive home. There have been to many trips in past years that were made miserable by smoke to the point that we wouldn't book balconies because of the problem. Since the smoking rules have changed I want it corrected ASAP.

That's true but if the offending cabin is right next door to your balcony I want something done on the cruise to correct the situation, not point fingers when I arrive home. There have been to many trips in past years that were made miserable by smoke to the point that we wouldn't book balconies because of the problem. Since the smoking rules have changed I want it corrected ASAP.

Agreed. I would want the same as you. The offending party may leave the ship without being fined or admonished.

But in case my complaint (with evidence to act upon) is ignored while on the ship, I would still want to report it up the chain. Perhaps disciplinary action or corrective action will take place. Will I ever find out about it? No as this is an internal issue.

I was on the Regal and smelled smoke early one morning coming into port. It wasn't hard to find who was smoking since not many people were outside at that hour. The guy smoking was prob 10+ cabins forward. I leaned out and counted the balconies so I know what room # he was in. Once he saw me, he stopped and went back inside immediately. I suppose it was early and he didn't want to go up top for a smoke. I decided to wait to report it hoping he learned he was spotted even in the early hours. I never smelled or saw him smoking again. I can't imagine having a neighbor smoking however I would be raising my own stink nonstop until it's resolved.

I don't want to the police, but I certainly have had no problem mentioning to another cruiser they should not be smoking in an undesignated area which I have none on more than on occasion, however it is difficult if there is an language barrier. But they get the idea and at least move away from me these encounters have been early or late out on the deck when there is almost no one and actually they have been on RCI ships in Europe...can't delete only can edit....so u get to read about my Royal experiences...sorry

Edited by land lover

This is troubling .

Seems Princess is looking the other way unless pressed by the guests.

I'm sure it is not just the Caribbean or even just Princess ?:(

I'm sure they would say something but it's up to the individual passengers to react to the problem. Sort of like reporting something out of the ordinary in the neighborhood to the police.

This is troubling .

I was on the CB in '13 on a TA and first day someone mentioned they went out on the balcony to smoke and were immediately notified that if it happened again they would get a $250 fine for each occurrence. I cruise all the time, different ships etc and never heard from anyone that smoking outside of designated areas was being ignored.

Princess does not want any confrontations with passengers in any of these situations. Be it smoking, chair saving, etc etc.

Thats why most of the time nothing is done and nothing is followed through on.

One can send as many complaint letters as they want and post on facebook.

It will be the same response.

The best way is to handle it onboard.

This is troubling .

What will it take another fire? Wasn't it a cigarette or cigar (or even a joint) that caused a balcony fire on a Princess ship a few years or so ago? Maybe I'm wrong. All Cruise lines have limited designated smoking areas for a good reason. Two things that frost my stones is when smokers smoke in nonsmoking areas and nonsmokers in a smoking area that complain about the smell or start coughing.

Edited by davekathy

We did that on our last cruise, to no avail. :( Even had the housekeeping supervisor come up a couple times, but of course the smoker was done by the time she arrived. This went on for the entire 15 days and made our balcony miserable to be out on. No matter who or how many times we reported it, it never stopped.

Where would this person put their cigarette butt when they were finished? There has to be evidence somewhere.

Thank you for sharing the link. To read or hear about a fire on a Cruise ship it is one thing. To see it is another. To experience it would have been terrifying. One of my buddies was in the Navy. He said a fire on a ship out at sea is the worst nightmare at sea.

Thank you for sharing the link. To read or hear about a fire on a Cruise ship it is one thing. To see it is another. To experience it would have been terrifying. One of my buddies was in the Navy. He said a fire on a ship out at sea is the worst nightmare at sea.

While I agree that fire at sea is the worst enemy, and that the Star Princess fire caused some really good changes to fire protection on the ships, I must give my usual caution when anyone mentions this fire. As the MAIB from Bermuda states in their investigation report: " In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, it is considered that the most likely source of ignition was a discarded cigarette end." This means that they could find no direct evidence of what started the fire, and they are making an assumption.

While I agree that fire at sea is the worst enemy, and that the Star Princess fire caused some really good changes to fire protection on the ships, I must give my usual caution when anyone mentions this fire. As the MAIB from Bermuda states in their investigation report: " In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, it is considered that the most likely source of ignition was a discarded cigarette end." This means that they could find no direct evidence of what started the fire, and they are making an assumption.

Agree. I've heard/read this assumption concerning both sides of the investigation of what could have possibly caused the fire. I understand it and respect it.

Edited by davekathy

...or if sailing in a balcony, over the side of the ship!

And then there you go, fire potential on someone's balcony or in their cabin if their balcony door is open. I know, Princess now has a fire suppression system in place. However, who wants to have all of their stuff soaked by that? Not as bad as a fire by a long shot. Still a mess you don't need on your cruise.:eek:

Edited by ar1950

And then there you go, fire potential on someone's balcony or in their cabin if their balcony door is open. I know, Princess now has a fire suppression system in place. However, who wants to have all of their stuff soaked by that? Not as bad as a fire by a long shot. Still a mess you don't need on your cruise.:eek:

Agree.

I was on the Regal and smelled smoke early one morning coming into port. It wasn't hard to find who was smoking since not many people were outside at that hour. The guy smoking was prob 10+ cabins forward. I leaned out and counted the balconies so I know what room # he was in. Once he saw me, he stopped and went back inside immediately. I suppose it was early and he didn't want to go up top for a smoke. I decided to wait to report it hoping he learned he was spotted even in the early hours. I never smelled or saw him smoking again. I can't imagine having a neighbor smoking however I would be raising my own stink nonstop until it's resolved.

Have not experienced that but would have done the same thing.

I think a shipwreck would ruin my cruise more than a neighbor smoking, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I give you shipwreck or fire as numbers one and two. But my allergy of cigarette/cigar smoke is a close third!

Alos, having read everything, I think that after the first infraction, there should be a fine, second, off at next port.

The burnt pillow - immediately off at next port, no questions. The safety of the ship is in jeopardy!

Can you tell me who is TPTB. Don't they have smoke detectors in all the cabins so they can tell if someone in smoking in there cabin? I think the cruise line has a $250.00 fine for that.

Tony

I'd like to know what TPTB is also.

A smoke detector detects smoke by detecting the amount of light visible between two sensors. A smoker would really have to be smoking hard and have all vents and windows closed in order for the smoke detector to detect the smoke.

Post # 9 reported that a burnt pillow was removed from a cabin by a ship's officer and that a $250.00 fine would be added to their account.

In my humble opinion a burnt pillow is way past a $250.00 fine. That is a frog hair away from a ship's fire. The passengers in that cabin should have been put off the ship for safety of all the other passengers.

Bob

You would think that it would involve more than a small fine.

It was the Carnival Paradise. People speculated it was because any group of people who might want to cruise together usually includes smokers so they would not book this ship. Also smokers tend to drink and gamble more so more revenue there. I cruised on its last smoke free cruise. Heavenly.

We were on the Paradise when it was a no-smoking ship and it ranks among one of my favorite cruises just because it was so pleasant.

I wrote on our comment card that they should send the ship over to the west coast as many people there would love the ship. Unfortunately when it was moved, the no-smoking policy was dropped.