$3.95 per device - no unlimited wifi Zuiderdam

ddlb

I just chatted with Holland online to confirm the best wifi plan offered for my Feb 26 cruise on the Zuiderdam. I was told 250 minutes for $100.

I thought you only had to pay the $3.95 device charge if you purchased the by the minute plan.

I was told for the 250 minute plan you had to pay $3.95 for EACH device you wanted to use to share the minutes. I use an iPhone - iPad - husband's iPad or netbook. So that means I would have to pay an additional $15.80? I'm kind of confused as to how you do the $3.95 per device signup - plus I might only want to access one of the devices a couple times - for example to check voice mail with an app I have on the iPhone.

Advice appreciated.

The $3.95 cost is per customer, when you choose a plan...I usually buy the $55/100 minute plan - I use the internet on either my ipad or directly on HAL's computer. I have never paid two $3.95 charges.

you set up a password with your name - prior to that part I believe you will be prompted to put in your name, cabin and possibly date of birth. The $3.95. is a one time "fee" .......

maybe others could enlighten further regarding multiple users.

Carol

I just chatted with Holland online to confirm the best wifi plan offered for my Feb 26 cruise on the Zuiderdam. I was told 250 minutes for $100.

I thought you only had to pay the $3.95 device charge if you purchased the by the minute plan.

I was told for the 250 minute plan you had to pay $3.95 for EACH device you wanted to use to share the minutes. I use an iPhone - iPad - husband's iPad or netbook. So that means I would have to pay an additional $15.80? I'm kind of confused as to how you do the $3.95 per device signup - plus I might only want to access one of the devices a couple times - for example to check voice mail with an app I have on the iPhone.

Advice appreciated.

$3,95 is the activation fee. There is only 1 charge per user, you can use a multitude of devices but may only be logged into one device at a time.

$3,95 is the activation fee. There is only 1 charge per user, you can use a multitude of devices but may only be logged into one device at a time.

thanks Kazu, the phrase that was eluding me was activation fee :o

as far as I know, when you use the per minute rate, there is no activation fee. I have used this feature when I have just used internet to do my flight checkin/boarding pass.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

thanks Kazu, the phrase that was eluding me was activation fee :o

as far as I know, when you use the per minute rate, there is no activation fee. I have used this feature when I have just used internet to do my dlight checkin/boarding pass.

Carol

I have only bought packages Carol and for all of those the fee was charged. Not sure on the by the minute plan, but I am quite sure I saw specials for boarding passes, etc on the last day and night before and I believe the fee was waived for those.

On our last three cruises (E'dam 8/14, NA 12/14, E'dam 11/15) I did not pay any activation fee. On the first two I paid just $55 for 100 min, and on the last I only paid by-the-minute charges.

Edited by jtl513

They may have done away with the activation fee. I didn't get charged it on my last 3 or 4 cruises (Oosterdam, Maasdam, Zuiderdam, maybe Veendam).

JTL and I were typing at the same time

Edited by richwmn

Thanks everyone - I wonder about the chat feature on Holland now because I couldn't believe it when I was told I would have to pay $3.95 for each device I wanted to share minutes with.

I also asked about the free minutes on the first day if you sign up and she said she wasn't familiar with that.

I guess my best bet is just to signup when we board - may I ask if there will be someone in the library so I can sign up right away and get it over with or do I have to wait? Thanks!

Thanks everyone - I wonder about the chat feature on Holland now because I couldn't believe it when I was told I would have to pay $3.95 for each device I wanted to share minutes with.

I also asked about the free minutes on the first day if you sign up and she said she wasn't familiar with that.

I guess my best bet is just to signup when we board - may I ask if there will be someone in the library so I can sign up right away and get it over with or do I have to wait? Thanks!

You can just sign in up when you go on your device the first time - no problem at all :). You don't have to go to the library to do it. But, there is normally someone in the library on embarkation day in my experience if you have any questions or need help. Their hours will be posted in the On Location.

z

I have not seen the bonus minute incentive for signing up first day, for a loooong time. I do have some coupons left from HAL coupon booklets, which entitles one to bonus minutes (either 10 or 15 minutes). I just write my cabin number on the coupon and hand it in to the librarian, along with my full name.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

Sometimes when you first board the system isn't ready yet for self-sign-up, so I suggest that you wait until mid-afternoon. If it doesn't work for you by 4:00 or so then you should check with someone in the library. Edited by catl331

We weren't charged the $3.95 activation fee. We did not get any bonus minutes the first day. We purchased the $55/100 min package. We used it on 2 devices but with one account - so one of us signed up the first day, made the package purchase and the other of us mimicked that sign-in information when we wanted to us it, but only one device at a time, one sign in at a time. m--

I have found the Chat Feature to be close to useless on most questions.

Better to call Ship Services: they often know quite a bit!