Specialty dining packages

Kellutvols

We sail away soon on Dawn and I was just curious about what most people do in regards to specialty dining. I see online you can prepurchase packages for 3-7 meals. Is specialty dining worth the extra costs? If so what package do you recommend? What specialty restaurants would you recommend? Thanks!

Not answering directly to the question, but I think that the packages are worth it if you choose to visit speciality restaurants.

We are happy with complimentary options but we usually go to speciality restaurants maybe 2-3 times on a weeklong cruise on NCL (almost never on Celebrity but their MDR offerings are a lot better).

I only eat in the specialty restaurants and always get the dining package. The 7 day package nets 7 meals down to just a few cents over $20 each including the gratuity. I really like Cagney's and the Teppanyaki restaurant very much. I've enjoyed the spaghetti bolognese at La Cucina, but with the new menus, I'm hoping they will still fix it for me on my next cruise (they are so accommodating, so I don't see an issue) and I love the bread at La Cucina. Many love Le Bistro and Moderno, but for me I don't really like the menu at Le Bistro and Moderno is just a little too much meat for me.

We've had dining packages on our last 3 cruises. The first two of those, we ate in specialties every night. The most recent, we ate in specialties 4 of 10 nights. Our upcoming cruise, we are not doing specialties and are going to enjoy the MDR or other complimentary venues every night. Although we like the specialty restaurants, we've decided we prefer the flexibility, service, entertainment, and ambience of the MDR much more. Plus we enjoy the food choices quite a bit.

We sail away soon on Dawn and I was just curious about what most people do in regards to specialty dining. I see online you can prepurchase packages for 3-7 meals. Is specialty dining worth the extra costs? If so what package do you recommend? What specialty restaurants would you recommend? Thanks!

Whether it's worth it is personal to you--it's worth it to me, but others may think it's a waste of money when there are choices included in the fare. On my last cruise, I had UDP so ate in specialties every night and loved it. The variety of specialty restaurants is the reason I tried NCL. I have a 10-night cruise coming up and purchased the 5-night SDP.

Le Bistro is my favorite of the specialties. I also enjoyed Cagney's and Teppanyaki. The only specialty I doubt I'll return to is La Cucina. The food was so bad I couldn't eat more than a few bites.

If I'm sailing NCL, I'll likely be purchasing a dining package. For me, it enhances the cruising experience enough that it's a must-do.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Previously we would eat in specialties one or two nights on a 7 day cruise. Le Bistro or Cagneys. We always enjoy the flexibility of the complimentary options, but also enjoyed a special dinner or 2 as well. We have the promo UDP every day for our upcoming 14 day cruise but I am sure we will not eat there every night. If I was buying it, I would probably buy 3 days on a 2 week cruise. For a one week cruise, I would just pay as I go,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If it is worth it is up to you. We just got off the Jade and ate at Teppanyaki Grill twice and Cagneys twice.

We thought the food at Teppanyaki was really good. But, the first night in there it was so loud! I tried to change our reservations for the second night there to The Brazilian place but they didn't a time that was suitable to us. So, we kept them. Now the second night it wasn't near as loud. I think because it was further a long in the cruise and they weren't as energetic. lol

We really we not that impressed with Cagneys. I know people love it though. For us the steaks were not seasoned enough and either under cooked or over cooked. If we would of paid for this place I would of been very disappointed.

Also, it takes forever at both places. At least an hour and half.

Also, I didn't like having to have a reservation. It restricted us some nights on things we wanted to do.

We enjoyed the food at all the complimentary places. The buffet was really good also.

Edited by Tracik

from being a ncl cruiser for the past 10 years, i think i can tell you what people likes are...roughly, ocean blue and teppanyaki are at the top, then comes le bistro, then comes cagneys, then comes moderno and then, finally, but close is la cucina...imho

I have sailed several times with NCl and very much enjoyed the specialty dining restaurants. For us, they are worthwhile and enhance our cruising experience. Our favorites include Teppan-Yaki, Cagneys and Moderno. For a one-week cruise I think purchasing the 3 to 4 night specialty dining package should provide many options and enjoyment.

If you plan on eating in specialty restaurants then imo a package is worth it since then you do not have to pay the a la carte prices so are not limited in appetizers or desserts. I'd suggest you try the 3 meal package. That way you can also eat some meals in MDR and make comparison.

We prefer Le Bistro and Cagneys.

• 4 months later...

Hello to all. We are considering a cruise on the Dawn and have the following concern:

A page at ncl.com gives the following list of specialty restaurants on the Dawn:

1. Moderno (Brazilian steakhouse/churrascaria)

2. Teppanyaki (Japanese hibachi restaurant)

3. Cagney's Steakhouse

4. La Cucina (Italian cuisine)

5. Le Bistro (French restaurant)

6. Sushi (Japanese sushi/sashimi)

7. Los Lobos (a la carte Mexican cantina)

Another page at ncl.com states the following: "Specialty dining packages [sDP] are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki, and our French and Italian restaurants across the fleet, as well as Margaritaville on board Norwegian Escape. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges: The Supper Club - $15 USD, Ocean Blue - $15 USD, Bayamo - $15 USD, Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway, Sushi -$7 USD, Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived), Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD"

Here is the problem, which we hope that someone who is just off the Dawn can solve:

It appears that the restaurants that we have numbered #1 through #5 would be completely included in a SDP. It is clear that #6 (Sushi) would be included, but with an upcharge. BUT ... the situation is unclear with regard to #7, Los Lobos. That venue is NOT mentioned on ncl.com's FAQ for SDPs. Has anyone successfully used his/her SDP for Los Lobos on the Dawn, without an upcharge?

Thanks, in advance for all helpful replies.

Hello to all. We are considering a cruise on the Dawn and have the following concern:

A page at ncl.com gives the following list of specialty restaurants on the Dawn:

1. Moderno (Brazilian steakhouse/churrascaria)

2. Teppanyaki (Japanese hibachi restaurant)

3. Cagney's Steakhouse

4. La Cucina (Italian cuisine)

5. Le Bistro (French restaurant)

6. Sushi (Japanese sushi/sashimi)

7. Los Lobos (a la carte Mexican cantina)

Another page at ncl.com states the following: "Specialty dining packages [sDP] are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki, and our French and Italian restaurants across the fleet, as well as Margaritaville on board Norwegian Escape. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges: The Supper Club - $15 USD, Ocean Blue - $15 USD, Bayamo - $15 USD, Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway, Sushi -$7 USD, Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived), Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD"

Here is the problem, which we hope that someone who is just off the Dawn can solve:

It appears that the restaurants that we have numbered #1 through #5 would be completely included in a SDP. It is clear that #6 (Sushi) would be included, but with an upcharge. BUT ... the situation is unclear with regard to #7, Los Lobos. That venue is NOT mentioned on ncl.com's FAQ for SDPs. Has anyone successfully used his/her SDP for Los Lobos on the Dawn, without an upcharge?

Thanks, in advance for all helpful replies.

Los Lobos is a fairly brand new restaurant and NCL has not yet updated the SDP page to include it.

Los Lobos is a fairly brand new restaurant and NCL has not yet updated the SDP page to include it.

Thanks. We were aware of that, having noticed that it was supposed to open on July 1 on the Dawn. Now, two weeks later, we are asking very recent cruisers whether they were allowed to use their SDPs there (and, if so, with or without a surcharge). In other words, we were not complaining about NCL's site.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still leaning towards the 3 day package. Although we are now not sailing until 2017 on the Star, so I will wait until closer to the time to decide which specialty restaurants we want to dine at and if the package is worth it to us.

The 4-day package was included on our cruise in March but really there were only three restaurants we like so we went to lebistro twice. Our favorites are le bistro, Teppanyaki, and Cagney's. My last Cruise we were in The Haven so rather than getting any dining package we just ate in the Haven Restaurant most of the time because their food is fantastic. On our next Cruise the three night dining package was included so we will go back to lebistro Teppanyaki and Cagney's. I love the steak or Lobster in Cagney's. Gotta have my French onion soup, escargot and lobster at Le bistro. I love everything at Teppanyaki's especially with extra garlic butter!

Edited by Jana60

Thanks. We were aware of that, having noticed that it was supposed to open on July 1 on the Dawn. Now, two weeks later, we are asking very recent cruisers whether they were allowed to use their SDPs there (and, if so, with or without a surcharge). In other words, we were not complaining about NCL's site.:D

Reports from this month's cruisers on Facebook is that it is included with the SDP/UDP. No upcharge. I'm hoping it stays that way until our cruise in October. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still leaning towards the 3 day package. Although we are now not sailing until 2017 on the Star, so I will wait until closer to the time to decide which specialty restaurants we want to dine at and if the package is worth it to us.

We do the packages because the restaurants are excellent and its a great way to discover them for a reasonable price. Back in the day we did one specialty restaurant during a cruise and our last 14 day TA gave us every night in a specialty (now missing those UDP's) and it was grand so give it a whirl, you'll be happy you did!

We got the 3night specialty restaurant package promo that came with our room for the first two guests. Our daughter will be 8 by the time we go on our cruise. Besides teppanyaki (she's liked hibachi dinners before), do the other restaurants have kid friendly menus? Granted she's an only child and has been dining with us since she was a baby from the local restaurants to fine dining, and is used to a sit-down dinner.

We got the 3night specialty restaurant package promo that came with our room for the first two guests. Our daughter will be 8 by the time we go on our cruise. Besides teppanyaki (she's liked hibachi dinners before), do the other restaurants have kid friendly menus? Granted she's an only child and has been dining with us since she was a baby from the local restaurants to fine dining, and is used to a sit-down dinner.

None of the Specialty restaurants, including Teppanyaki, have a childrens menu other than the same free one used in MDR. I suggest you buy a 3night SDP for your daughter since she'll have to pay to eat in any specialty restaurant unless she eats from that free kids menu: chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, hotdogs etc

None of the Specialty restaurants, including Teppanyaki, have a childrens menu other than the same free one used in MDR. I suggest you buy a 3night SDP for your daughter since she'll have to pay to eat in any specialty restaurant unless she eats from that free kids menu: chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, hotdogs etc

Unless they have a children's price for The 3 Day dining package I would not purchase it for an 8 year old child. The servings are huge in the specialty restaurants so just have her order something off the children's menu and share off your plate. You could even order an entire extra entree for only $10 extra on your dining tab and as many side dishes and appetizers and desserts as you want. That would be $10 extra at most per meal. Why pay more.

We like the specialty restaurants and have found in the past the packages were a better way to go. We purchased a 5 night for our upcoming trip - currently we have the Cirque Dreams (though questionable with NCL), Cagneys, LeBistro, Teppanyaki and Ocean Blue. Haven't tried the Ocean Blue before so we thought we would go ahead and see what it is like.