Uniworld - dress code and food

little britain

Going on first river cruise - wondered what the dress code was in the evenings and also on the Captains reception nights - does anyone wear long or is it far more casual?

What typically would be served at dinner - would there typically be starter, soup and entrée?

Are they liberal with the drinks pour? ;)

Are the brands of spirits known ones like Gordons gin or do they use local blends?

Any other tips a first timer should know?

TIA

Edited by little britain

We have sailed twice with Uniworld. Once in July and once in December. We did find the December a little dressier due to weather I suppose. I would say on average it would be what some called country club casual. There were few if any jeans on either trip or shorts in summer. However, there was a wide range from dress pants with polo shirt for men to a suit(very few) I wore a sports coat with no tie for Captains dinner and felt very comfortable. Most nights I wore dress pants with a button up shirt.

My wife wore either dress pants with a dressier shirt to a dress on Captains dinner. She was definitely dressier then most. Common were just dark pants with blouse.

The menu at dinner always has 3-4 choices for starter, soup/salad, entree and dessert. Besided those choices they always had as an alternative salmon, steak or chicken. They also always had a normal salad available. There is also always a vegetarian menu. The food was just tremendous. Breakfast and Lunch are always buffets with a menu available as well although we never asked for the menu.

On both of our cruises there was also an alternative dinner offered for suites and/or sign up that was quite nice. It is held in another venue other then the dining room. I did find this meal was the most dressed up of all the dinners but again I was very comfortable with a sports coat and not tie. I think all the men had a sports coat at this meal.

Alcohol poors freely not only at meals but all day long as in is all inclusive. They do have a wide range of name brand spirits. I really didn't hear any complaints on this issue.

If you haven't already I would recommend that you download a cruise companion guide for your cruise off Uniworld's website. It will give a great more detail about your excursions. If you are by chance staying in a suite I would recommend you really research the benefits this provides. I found that many didnt know about some of the perks offered.

Be happy to answer any other questions regarding my experience with Uniworld. I sailed on the SS Antoinette on the Rhine in July and the SS Maria Theresa on the Danube for the Christmas Markets. They do a great job so I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Looks like you're going on the Douro, so hopefully other can jump in as I think that cruise is a little different from the other European ones.

I dressed in a nice black cocktail dress for the Captain's reception and gala dinner. I was the most dressed up on the boat, I think. People went all over the map from khakis to dresses/jackets & ties.

At dinner, you will be offered your choice of at least two appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Sometimes there will be separate salad and soup options, making it a four-course meal. They offer dishes based on local cuisine, but then there is always an option of steak, chicken, or fish as well. They'll provide suggestions for those watching what the eat "Traveling Light" or vegetarian as well.

Check out their sample ship menus, the links to which are totally buried on their site.

Wine at dinner is VERY GENEROUS.

I'm not a big drinker so I didn't pay attention to the spirit choices, but there were discussions about that on this forum in the past. Do a search for for "uniworld included drinks" or "uniworld top shelf" or something like that.

My blog also has lots of photos from the food we ate on our Danube cruise (as well as information about the tours), look at posts from September/October 2014.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ewizabeff and papa B me have provided very comprehensive and accurate replies so I'll just add a couple of points based on our single Uniworld cruise last August (Budapest to Amsterdam). Our second is coming up 3 months from today (but who's counting :p) - Grand France.

• On the whole the food was fabulous. The only dishes that we considered less than fabulous were a couple of pasta dishes but we lived in Italy for 5 years so we may be hyper-critical.
  • You are not limited to one dish from each category (appetizer, salad, entree, dessert). When we couldn't make up our mind, our waiter brought multiple dishes.
  • One evening I wasn't taken by any of the wines on the menu so our waiter offered to get me one he knew I had enjoyed at another meal (without me even asking).
  • Pours of wine and mixed drinks are very generous. On our first day I asked if they had prosecco (my drink of choice at home) and the waiter replied no, they had champagne :D. I wish I could remember what brand it was because it was excellent. My DH asked for name brands and never had to consider a second choice - they had everything he wanted.

Thank you all for your quick replies ! You are right they hide things on their website so I would never have found those sample menus. Some interesting local flavours...as we are in Portugal I hope it doesn't mean salt cod every night!!

The Douro ship seems a little different... No butlers etc.

And thanks for the Companion guide. It looks like most excursions on this trip are quite strenuous.....will check on board as to which ones my 90yr old will manage!

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Everyone's posted great, helpful advice, very similar to what we've enjoyed on our six prior Uniworld Europe cruises (beginning in 2006). We're looking forward to our next one on River Royale in Bordeaux in a few months' time.

We've made longtime friends of fellow passengers we met on some of our first Uniworld cruises. With approximately 125 passengers on the ship, you get to know folks quickly, as does on-board staff. It's truly a "boutique" hotel experience, without the stuffiness or fancy dress-up requirements that term sometimes implies.

Don't worry about how your mom will get around on the excursions. Although we haven't been on your itinerary, we've always seen the on-board Uniworld staff accommodate various ages and physical abilities so every passenger can see/experience the most based upon abilities. For example, they can arrange for an "easy walking" excursion with a local guide for those who may need a slower pace.

I've posted some of our Uniworld experiences at links on our home web site (at the bottom of the page) at http://hillrisefarm.us/Cruising.html .

Enjoy! Please post a review of your experience when you get home. :)

Edited by KarlS

The food and selection thereof is excellent, near Oceania quality. One is offered a lot more of local food options, than on Viking, for instances. However, the selection is very wide.

Dress Code - for men, at the dinner meal - no shorts. Only exception, on your Douro cruise, is that you'll have a BBQ one night up on top deck with music and dancing. They don't enforce the "no shorts" policy that evening. Other nights, people attempting to wear shorts into the Dining Room are stopped by the staff. On our Douro cruise last September, I never saw a single male ever wear blue jean, or actually any type of jeans, to dinner. Country Club casual is probably a good definition of the dress code at dinner. Nice slacks and a button down shirt/polo shirts (no tees) is typical attire for the gentlemen. A few regularly wear a sports coat. Ladies dress equally as nicer, if not more so. ;)

I see there is a Spa onboard. Does this offer usual manicure and hairdressing facilities - and if so has anyone got example prices please?

I didn't check it out but think - at least on our ships (River Princess and River Empress) - that it was the massage area. I don't remember seeing anything about manicure or hairdressing services. My sister in law and her mother both had massages and said that they were very good and less expensive than expected (comparable to home but not more expensive like on many ocean cruises). I remember that the masseur also led free stretching classes each morning up on deck (and maybe other classes too).

I see there is a Spa onboard. Does this offer usual manicure and hairdressing facilities - and if so has anyone got example prices please?

I enjoyed a fabulous massage on the Catherine last summer, and the price of E65 for one hour was a bargain.

We enjoyed most all of the food, though I would have preferred some lighter options at lunch. When I did make that request, I was told that it should be no problem for me to find something I would enjoy on the buffet. At dinner, they were far more accommodating.

We were very pleased with wine and liquor selections aboard. The choices were extensive, wines of very good quality, and liquor premium and top shelf.

On our cruise, there were very few sport coats in the evenings, including at the galas, and dress was much more casual than I expected to see on Uniworld. I wore dressy slacks and top for the two "events" in the evenings and DH and I were among the most dressed up aboard. Definitely no long dresses and IMO suit and tie would be overkill.

Edited by caviargal

• 2 weeks later...

Little Britian;

First, you must realize that the Queen Isabel, like all cruise boats on the Douro is much smaller than the cruise boats plying the other European rivers. The rooms are of ample size, but smaller than on other ships. Given that, last September, aboard the Isabel, I don't remember a coffee machine in the room. There just isn't much space for one. The boat has a tremendous coffee/tea (et.al) maker toward the front of the ship near the reception area. People went their to make their morning brew and get pastries to munch on.

I don't remember brand names for any of the coffee or teas presented. You'll be on Uniworld, so the quality will be high! ;)

Little Britian;

First, you must realize that the Queen Isabel, like all cruise boats on the Douro is much smaller than the cruise boats plying the other European rivers. The rooms are of ample size, but smaller than on other ships.

I don't remember brand names for any of the coffee or teas presented. You'll be on Uniworld, so the quality will be high! ;)

AmaVida's balcony cabins are 215 sq ft on the Duoro. Larger than the others on that route. I compared Uniworld and AMA when we were considering it.

Queen Isabel: - are there tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms?

What brand of teabags do they use?! Serious question. :D

We were on the River Queen in August, and there weren't coffee makers in the room. There is a 24-hour coffee/tea station, though, and the teabags were Newby brand. The coffee machine is a fancy automated one that makes all sorts of coffee beverages, and hot chocolate as well.

When I ordered tea for breakfast, they brought a pot made with loose tea--I'm not sure if that was Newby as well. Since I'm American and have difficulty getting good Earl Grey, I was very happy with what they had!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there

We are going on the Catherine, Lyon to Avignon in July and luckily have the Royal Suite.

I am hearing about the mad rush for dinner!! We are concerned about this as we like a cocktail and then a leisurely dinner. Any suggestions? Can you reserve a table for 2?

Thanks, Boatie

Hi there

We are going on the Catherine, Lyon to Avignon in July and luckily have the Royal Suite.

I am hearing about the mad rush for dinner!! We are concerned about this as we like a cocktail and then a leisurely dinner. Any suggestions? Can you reserve a table for 2?

Thanks, Boatie

You can go to the dining room any time after it opens (usually 7)No need to rush. And feel free to stay for a cocktail before / during / after the scheduled port talk which is in the lounge just before dinner.

No such thing as reservations, but there should be empty tables whenever you enter the dining room. Also, check if dinner can be served to you in your suite if you do not feel like joining anyone

RB.

Just got off River Beatrice 2 weeks ago; we had a wonderful time on the Danube. We were in a suite.

Butlers offered to serve meals in-suite. We didn't try it but I guess we could have.

Drinks are generous, as everyone else stated.

On a few nights we weren't ready to eat exactly at 7 so we went later. Never a problem. I think a few rooms were empty so never an issue finding a table for ourselves (we wouldn't want to join a dinner in progress, and hold others up).

I'm posting a few of the menus on my "live" blog, as we go. Took a few cell phone shots at dinner. :) Yummy food!

PS - Catherine has tables for 2 but they are within inches of a table for 4. So it's really more like a table for 6.

Edited by jpalbny

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there

Thanks, Boatie

We were on the Catherine last summer and our favorite thing about the experience overall was that we were able to go to dinner on our own time. For us, that is generally 8 or so. We were never made to feel that this was an issue and quite often did have a table to ourselves.

Enjoy!

I have found that the mad rush to dinner is for the people who have large groups. There are very few good large tables. There is normally no problem for smaller tables, unless you want a certain part of the dining room. And you can not make a reservation.

We were on the Catherine last summer and our favorite thing about the experience overall was that we were able to go to dinner on our own time. For us, that is generally 8 or so. We were never made to feel that this was an issue and quite often did have a table to ourselves.

Enjoy!

Yes! We just did this a few times on our River Beatrice cruise. There were days when we didn't want to join the mad rush at 7 - so we didn't. Never an issue. And since we ended up at a table for 2, service was faster.