Houston advice

Giantfan13

We are coming off the Carnival Liberty in Galveston. We originally had a very early flight booked out of Hobby, but most said there may be a majority of things that might cause us to miss that flight. So we have rethought our options and we have now decided to stay in Houston for a couple of nights. We are flying Southwest out of Hobby, so we will travel to Hobby either by Galveston Express or share a ride with a fellow cruise mate. We will then rent a car at Hobby, so we figure where we stay in Houston won't be that big a deal.

That said, my DW looked at this hotel "Candlewood Suites Houston-Westchase". It has gotten pretty good ratings, is very inexpensive and has a kitchette if we want to use it. My question is more about where this hotel is located? Has anyone heard of this place, know anything about the location. About how far from Hobby is it time wise and is there easy access to a major road.

thanks for any help or suggestions.

Cheers

Len

Had to look it up and found that it's on the Sam Houston Toll Road between the Westpark Toll Road and Westheimer. That is in west Houston. Hobby is in southeast Houston. It would be at least 45 minutes from Hobby or longer depending on the time of day. It would be about 10 miles (guessing) from the Galleria area and closer to 20 miles or more from downtown. What do you want to do in Houston? The Houston area is huge, so it would be best to pick what you want to do and then find a place to stay that is central to those things.

Tillie

Thanks for the offer. This is our first time in Houston, so we are open for suggestions. We will basically have one full day, a Saturday to do 'our thing'. We are open for anything, but we figured, with a car, we can travel anywhere--within reason.

Cheers

Len

Tillie

Thanks for the offer. This is our first time in Houston, so we are open for suggestions. We will basically have one full day, a Saturday to do 'our thing'. We are open for anything, but we figured, with a car, we can travel anywhere--within reason.

Cheers

Len

If you are interested in the space program, you can spend several hours at NASA. It's about halfway between Hobby and Galveston. Hotels are not bad around there, and you would have the Kemah area to explore also.

Edited by clarea

Tillie

Cheers

Len

Well, I guess I'd recommend doing things within the center of the city. The museum area south of the downtown area has a lot to offer. You could spend all day on Saturday just trying to get from one place to another. :eek: Try doing a Google search and see if anything floats your boat, so to speak! :p

There is nothing to do at Westchase area.

Stay in Galveston area one night (it is a tourist destination with lots to do).

You can't even do Galveston in two days.

For starters:

galveston.com

galvestonhistory.org

moodygardens.com

Second largest preservation society in US

More victorian homes than any city in US

Musuems

Then go to Kemah Boardwalk stay there

and then do Nasa

and then to Houston for Herman Park Museum District!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Our idea was to take the Galveston Express to Hobby and rent our car there as we are flying out of Hobby on Sunday. That is why we figured staying in Houston was easier. Pick up the car, use it, drop it off and fly out. Would this not be the case?

As I said, I am not familiar with anything Houston. If I wanted to reconsider our hotel, what area should I be looking at?

Cheers

Len

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Our idea was to take the Galveston Express to Hobby and rent our car there as we are flying out of Hobby on Sunday. That is why we figured staying in Houston was easier. Pick up the car, use it, drop it off and fly out. Would this not be the case?

As I said, I am not familiar with anything Houston. If I wanted to reconsider our hotel, what area should I be looking at?

Cheers

Len

The idea for renting the car at Hobby is fine, but you still need to do some investigation as to what you want to do in Houston. None of us know you and we can't know what would interest you. Just saying that picking what you want to do will then lead to where you stay. The area is huge and you don't want to be staying somewhere over an hour from the places you want to see.

Car from Hobby , stay centrally located at Kemah area or on I/45 , and do what you want of all mentioned.

All close on southeast side of Houston .

Back to hobby and home .

Maps from galveston.com/connect/maps. (See on net)

Download Map of Galveston Island

Download Map of Houston Metro Area

Edited by ssb