Standard drinks package

Missaims

Hi, not used cruise critic for a while but hope I can get some advice - we got the standard drinks package as a perk when we booked an OV cabin a few months ago. I've tried to find out what this includes and came across a couple of pictures/menus - but I wonder if anyone has any experience of using this package at all?? I tend to drink wines and cocktails on a cruise and would likely upgrade to at least Classic, but my partner is not a wine drinker at all and generally only drinks beers - is it even worth him upgrading even from this new standard package?

Hi, not used cruise critic for a while but hope I can get some advice - we got the standard drinks package as a perk when we booked an OV cabin a few months ago. I've tried to find out what this includes and came across a couple of pictures/menus - but I wonder if anyone has any experience of using this package at all?? I tend to drink wines and cocktails on a cruise and would likely upgrade to at least Classic, but my partner is not a wine drinker at all and generally only drinks beers - is it even worth him upgrading even from this new standard package?

The only difference is the price limit for drinks. Standard limit is $6 and the Classic is $8 . We found that most drinks in the Martini bar were over the $8 limit.

Yes we got the premium on our last cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette and included most cocktails, finer wines, Chandon, grey goose etc, speciality coffees, we have the basic package this time which was in with the cruise but will upgrade for sure.

I tend to drink wines and cocktails on a cruise and would likely upgrade to at least Classic, but my partner is not a wine drinker at all and generally only drinks beers - is it even worth him upgrading even from this new standard package?

The wifester is far from a wine snob, the only red she liked was $13.50 per glass. I on the other hand have become a craft beer snob, and the starting point was the Dogfish 90 at $11.50 per. We both upgraded to the Premium, which made for a much more relaxed 10 day cruise.

It will cost you $20.00 + $3.60 (18% grat) = $23.60 per person per day to upgrade to the Premium, or $11.80 for the Classic.

2 glasses of a good wine and 2 great beers and you are even at the Premium level. But if Boone's Farms Strawberry hill type wine, and bud, Coors, or Miller are thought of as beer, you will be good to go with the Standard pkg.

ps: don't forget about all the other choices that will be included with an upgrade too.

Edited by wallie5446

I'm also curious about the standard package. Are there any fruity cocktails that can be had from the 6 dollar limit? And are there any beers at all covered for 6 dollars? Don't understand why there are menus for the other packages but none for standard. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately there weren't any free perks on my sailing so there's no upgrade for me. I have to outright buy a package and was just trying to do it all before we sail. You are so right about waiting to see what's in standard if I can't figure out exactly what's in it beforehand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info - I will decide on upgrades on the ship, I like to know beforehand so I don't feel too pressured into upgrading but will see how the other half gets on! we've never had a package before as we've never drank enough to justify buying one outright.

As for upgrading to premium it would never be worth it at $23.60 at day for someone who rarely drinks more than a couple of drinks a night - decision here is standard v classic - I guess we will start to get reviews on this as it becomes more common, it's actual experiences of the new package that I'm curious about...

Since I strayed and was concentrating on another cruiseline for a few months, I apparently have missed out that there is now another beverage package category. :eek:

So, if we were given the Classic Package as an incentive (we have this on our reservations for the next 4 cruises), will we be demoted to the Standard, or are we still good with the Classic?

Since I strayed and was concentrating on another cruiseline for a few months, I apparently have missed out that there is now another beverage package category. :eek:

So, if we were given the Classic Package as an incentive (we have this on our reservations for the next 4 cruises), will we be demoted to the Standard, or are we still good with the Classic?

That is the $11.80 or $23.60 question ;)

Thanks! The Classic package has served us well in the past. I was upgraded to Premium - free, on one of my cruises. Tried my best to get many fancy drinks, but just could not stomach the martini's, so it's a waste on me. The main thing that I liked about it was being able to get Vitamin Water Zero. Cost extra with the Classic. So I'll buy 3 or 4 and be good for the cruise. ;)

PS - Looking at the "Beverage Package" thread, it's funny that in the first post it shows a photo from a TV screen advertising the Standard Package and Coor's Light is mentioned (my DH's choice of Beer). Yet, when you look at the next photo of the packages in print, Coor's light is not in the Standard Package. It's in the Classic category! :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

I have seen a number of different answers to this question which suggests that there is not one common policy - but - if you take the premium package, can you pay the difference for the Martini Flight, or do you have to pay the full amount?

Thanks

:confused:

I have seen a number of different answers to this question which suggests that there is not one common policy - but - if you take the premium package, can you pay the difference for the Martini Flight, or do you have to pay the full amount?

Thanks

My understanding is that from Premier you only pay the difference while from Standard or Classic you pay the full amount.

Thanks

I think it varies from ship to ship and yr to year. Why do I say this?

In 2013 on the Reflection and 2014 on the Equinox we did indeed only pay the difference when we got a flight. But last Nov on the Equinox we had a final toast with some from the Roll Call at the Martini bar, 12-16 of us, and the bar tender would not use anyone's pkg to cover any of the flight.

EW

No, you will not be demoted. You will have the Classic package.